Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-25-2018, 11:48 PM
Banned

Default cattle rancher sentenced for 1.2m in stolen goods

http://thestarphoenix.com/news/local...farm-equipment

House arrest and a slap on the wrist. Guy blames his crappy upbringing and mental issues. He doesnt remember robbing any companies.

He can't accept responsibility for his actions yet has no problems falling back on a mental illness as an excuss.

Uh... okay.
Old 01-26-2018, 05:03 AM

Seemed like a trivial sentence for the offences, to those of us nearby.

I hope that restitution to those that he stole from is significant.
Old 01-26-2018, 05:32 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Huh, what...I did that...don't remember....and that about sums it up.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-26-2018, 05:36 AM
Banned

The wife seems somewhat complicit as well.
Old 01-26-2018, 06:47 AM

He has to pay back 1.1million, is that a slap on the wrist?
If he can stay working on his farm he is more likely to be able to do that, prison won't help anything on a farm he isn't going anywhere. He's going to stay in his community for the rest of his life and everyone is going to know who he is and to be careful doing business with him.
Jail will only cost society more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-26-2018, 07:00 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledin View Post
If he can stay working on his farm he is more likely to be able to do that, prison won't help anything on a farm he isn't going anywhere. He's going to stay in his community for the rest of his life and everyone is going to know who he is and to be careful doing business with him.

You didn't read it did you? He has to pay back 111 000 not 1 110 000.
Old 01-26-2018, 07:01 AM
Banned

There is always a reason lately that it wasn’t my fault.
Zero accountability these days
Old 01-26-2018, 07:16 AM

Not only my neck of the woods people stealing round balers ,crazy.
Old 01-26-2018, 07:31 AM

Quote:

Then put his butt in jail and seize his estate. Sell it for whatever you can get and pay back the people he stole from. Man I just don't get the way the world is going but it makes sense when you see how other people think.
Old 01-26-2018, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerThomson View Post
You didn't read it did you? He has to pay back 111 000 not 1 110 000.

Mis-read.
But most of what he stole was returned.

Old 01-26-2018, 07:49 AM
Banned

Quote:

Lol. You must be the one writing the book for our judges.
Old 01-26-2018, 08:07 AM
Banned

Default To quote the O.P. "Uh...okay"

Not to put too fine a point on it but it seems to me that 2 years of having the police show up any time of the day or night is hardly a slap on the wrist. Those guys will search under the mattress for stolen tractors and balers. After that portion of the sentence he will be required to visit the police once a week for three years. All the while attempting to come up with the 110K to satisfy the reimbursement phase plus defend himself in a civil suit which he will invariably lose, causing further financial hardship.

I'm not arguing that he doesn't deserve this treatment, but it is hardly a cakewalk as has been suggested here. Seems to me that his sentence matches entirely what a jail term would cause in his life, without the burden to the taxpayer nor the agony it creates amongst the masses.

If you took the time to read the news story comprehensively then scrolled down the page to the comments from Facebook you would have seen that the conversation went immediately to a race-based tirade when this guy is just a common (Caucasian) thief.

Free
Old 01-26-2018, 08:13 AM
Banned

Quote:
Mis-read.

There was Significant cost to those affected by the thefts. The guy claims he doesn't remember stealing. Let's assume that's true for a second even though it's not.. Whats going to stop him from stealing again? He doesnt remember so he will be right back at it.

How does a judge not throw the book at a guy for multiple robberies who pretends he doesn't remember multiple crimes.
Old 01-26-2018, 08:21 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom55 View Post
Not to put too fine a point on it but it seems to me that 2 years of having the police show up any time of the day or night is hardly a slap on the wrist. Those guys will search under the mattress for stolen tractors and balers. After that portion of the sentence he will be required to visit the police once a week for three years. All the while attempting to come up with the 110K to satisfy the reimbursement phase plus defend himself in a civil suit which he will invariably lose, causing further financial hardship.

I'm not arguing that he doesn't deserve this treatment, but it is hardly a cakewalk as has been suggested here. Seems to me that his sentence matches entirely what a jail term would cause in his life, without the burden to the taxpayer nor the agony it creates amongst the masses.

If you took the time to read the news story comprehensively then scrolled down the page to the comments from Facebook you would have seen that the conversation went immediately to a race-based tirade when this guy is just a common (Caucasian) thief.

Free
You can still send someone to jail for 2 years and then probation. If the guy showed remorse or took accountability for his actions then you give him house arrest. As it stands now he'll be back out stealing as he doesn't remember ant of his crimes.

Also I don't think house arrest gives someone the ability to search your house anytime anywhere.. there's zero info on conditions of house arrest.
Old 01-26-2018, 08:41 AM

What would jail do?

Keep society safer?
He stole farm equipment, yes it hurt those he stole from and now has to pay some back, WHILE he works and supports himself and his family.
Jail? He sits and does nothing while taxpayers support him (at a resort hotel) and his family. The restitution isn't paid.

I'm not against prison or even capital punishment, but most often only society pays a price.
We pay more tax and the criminal gets worse.

Now to those who insist he does jail time, explain how it has a better outcome?

Old 01-26-2018, 09:28 AM
Banned

Quote:
What would jail do?

Keep society safer?
He stole farm equipment, yes it hurt those he stole from and now has to pay some back, WHILE he works and supports himself and his family.
Jail? He sits and does nothing while taxpayers support him (at a resort hotel) and his family. The restitution isn't paid.

I'm not against prison or even capital punishment, but most often only society pays a price.
We pay more tax and the criminal gets worse.

Now to those who insist he does jail time, explain how it has a better outcome?

For some people taking their freedom away is the only punishment that results in any kind of deterrent. Think of all the politicians who are caught breaking the law, they maybe get probation or a fine, take their freedom away and things will change.
Old 01-26-2018, 12:41 PM
Banned

Quote:

Cause we all know jail and workin on the farm are the same thing, and boo frickin hoo about the money too!!!!!! This is an enabler society, your statement above, is a prime example of people tolerating and making excuses for all these useless pieces of garbage!!! He didn't steal a pack of bubble gum, it's 1.2 mil!!!!! He should have his farm taken away and be locked up!!
Old 01-26-2018, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobalong View Post
For some people taking their freedom away is the only punishment that results in any kind of deterrent. Think of all the politicians who are caught breaking the law, they maybe get probation or a fine, take their freedom away and things will change.
Think about this for a moment. How many criminals are repeat offenders that spend half their year in jail and as soon as they are out, repeat their crimes? I would suggest that probably describes the majority of criminals when it comes to property theft. Even if the courts did mandate more prison time its hard to think that it is much of a deterrent when the prisons provide 3 meals a day, a warm place to sleep, education, and television, especially when the crime is often driven by addiction (although not in this case). The reality is, at $120,000 a year plus all the related policing and legal fees, it costs Canadian society almost as much or more having a criminal in prison than out (when it come to property crime).

While I acknowledge the need for prisons, we need to think differently about how we deal repeat petty criminals because locking them up just isn't working. Unfortunately in Canada, we have our precious Charter of Rights and Freedoms which always grants more freedom to the individual and severely limits options when it comes to punishment for criminals. The Charter is a good idea in theory when coupled with a strong western/Judeo-Christian world view, but unfortunately when it is interpreted with the post-modern deconstructionist mindset of our left wing judicial system, it all falls apart.

I think this judge's creative solution is a better approach than simply locking this criminal up since his overall risk, as it pertains to violence, seems pretty low. Whether or not the punishment works is more up to how thoroughly it is enforced by the police.
Old 01-26-2018, 04:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailraat View Post
Think about this for a moment. How many criminals are repeat offenders that spend half their year in jail and as soon as they are out, repeat their crimes? I would suggest that probably describes the majority of criminals when it comes to property theft. Even if the courts did mandate more prison time its hard to think that it is much of a deterrent when the prisons provide 3 meals a day, a warm place to sleep, education, and television, especially when the crime is often driven by addiction (although not in this case). The reality is, at $120,000 a year plus all the related policing and legal fees, it costs Canadian society almost as much or more having a criminal in prison than out (when it come to property crime).

While I acknowledge the need for prisons, we need to think differently about how we deal repeat petty criminals because locking them up just isn't working. Unfortunately in Canada, we have our precious Charter of Rights and Freedoms which always grants more freedom to the individual and severely limits options when it comes to punishment for criminals. The Charter is a good idea in theory when coupled with a strong western/Judeo-Christian world view, but unfortunately when it is interpreted with the post-modern deconstructionist mindset of our left wing judicial system, it all falls apart.

I think this judge's creative solution is a better approach than simply locking this criminal up since his overall risk, as it pertains to violence, seems pretty low. Whether or not the punishment works is more up to how thoroughly it is enforced by the police.
You sort of miss the point, he 100% will not steal, or worse every day he is in prison. Until they make prison time a bit more severe to deter repeat offenses, next to hanging them, or a chain gang, it is the best thing we got. Every day they are off the street is a better day for the rest of us.
Old 01-26-2018, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilgy View Post
Then put his butt in jail and seize his estate. Sell it for whatever you can get and pay back the people he stole from. Man I just don't get the way the world is going but it makes sense when you see how other people think.

That would be a deterrent, which would make people think twice before stealing.

Quote:
Mis-read.
Which does nothing to change the fact that he stole those goods.
Old 01-26-2018, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom55 View Post

Free
"Just a common Caucasian thief" requires as much prosecution as the little girl from a residential school did for pointing out that being impregnated by the Bishop is wrong. No justice in todays system of law.
Old 01-27-2018, 04:03 PM

Quote:
You sort of miss the point, he 100% will not steal, or worse every day he is in prison. Until they make prison time a bit more severe to deter repeat offenses, next to hanging them, or a chain gang, it is the best thing we got. Every day they are off the street is a better day for the rest of us.
Yes, but our judges interpretation of the charter of rights and freedoms means we can't make it more severe. Do you really think it's worth paying $120,000 a year to keep him warm, safe, and well fed over property theft? I think that public shaming and making him repay those he stole from would be much more effective in this case, but with our toothless justice system and spineless police agencies it will never happen.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Old 01-27-2018, 04:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailraat View Post
Yes, but our judges interpretation of the charter of rights and freedoms means we can't make it more severe. Do you really think it's worth paying $120,000 a year to keep him warm, safe, and well fed over property theft? I think that public shaming and making him repay those he stole from would be much more effective in this case, but with our toothless justice system and spineless police agencies it will never happen.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
I don't give a rats ass if we are rehabilitating them or paying to keep them warm...every day they are in the can is one less day they can steal my stuff or harm my family.
Old 01-27-2018, 04:50 PM

Here the honest bottom line from my perspective. I don't want to pay $120,000 a year for someone to be locked up for multiple years for non-violent property theft in which all the property was returned and the owners were reimbursed for losses. I doubt many on here do either.

The bigger issue I have with the system, is that it costs $120,00/year to keep someone incarcerated. I could probably do it for about half of that. Private jail, wonder if the government would go for it....
Old 01-27-2018, 05:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
Here the honest bottom line from my perspective. I don't want to pay $120,000 a year for someone to be locked up for multiple years for non-violent property theft in which all the property was returned and the owners were reimbursed for losses. I doubt many on here do either.

The bigger issue I have with the system, is that it costs $120,00/year to keep someone incarcerated. I could probably do it for about half of that. Private jail, wonder if the government would go for it....
It’s high time they shut these “summer camps” down, less heat, cheaper food, more time in the cell, more inmates per square inch, believe me I’d cut the costs right down. Make em ride bikes to make power, they don’t wanna ride the bike, no heat in the cell, cold showers, rice and water only!
Old 01-27-2018, 05:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
How do you know he won’t steal again? He is obviously a kleptomaniac, he will never stop, he gets a “rush” from it, the same way a serial killer does, that’s his thing obviously, like really, the writings on the wall. Not doing a thing about it, well that’s just plain irresponsible! 1.2 million is a major crime. Too many people today have your attitude, oh the poor baby, “he 100% will not steal” give me a freekin break!!!!!! I bet you’d be cryin if he stole 1.2 million of your stuff!!
Old 01-27-2018, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
It’s high time they shut these “summer camps” down, less heat, cheaper food, more time in the cell, more inmates per square inch, believe me I’d cut the costs right down. Make em ride bikes to make power, they don’t wanna ride the bike, no heat in the cell, cold showers, rice and water only!
May I suggest something a bit more useful than riding a bike? Possibly picking litter, scrubbing graphite, picking noxious weeds, etc.
Old 01-28-2018, 06:51 AM

Default So I guess.

You all are saying it would be OK if I steal your property with next to nothing for recourse?
Everyone that thinks this is OK can you PM me your addresses and let me know when you will not be home.
Don’t worry I’ll take good care of your stuff.
Old 01-28-2018, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post

It should cost about $6000 a year. The problem with our social justice system is there are way too many profiteers right from the when they are arrested until they are released, there are so many fingers in the cookie jar, lawyers, contractors, prosecutors, sheriffs, jail guards, health care, counsellors, doctors, food contractors, maintenance, boards, group homes, governing bodies, unions, advisory committees, study groups, parole boards it goes on and on and on and never ends. It is absolutely ridiculous, The reason our justice /legal system is failing is because it is being used as a cash cow whereby prisoners and criminals are intentionally not punished or rehabilitated but rather they are being used and encouraged by a system that promotes repeat criminal activity which justifies the taxpayer dumping even more money into the system that is set up expressly to maintain and increase government spending of tax dollars that wind up in the pockets of the criminal industrial complex profiteers who engineered this whole fraudulent system of legal industry. The worst criminals are the white collar ones that devised and are orchestrating this fraud we call the justice system.
Old 01-28-2018, 09:02 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
It should cost about $6000 a year. The problem with our social justice system is there are way too many profiteers right from the when they are arrested until they are released, there are so many fingers in the cookie jar, lawyers, contractors, prosecutors, sheriffs, jail guards, health care, counsellors, doctors, food contractors, maintenance, boards, group homes, governing bodies, unions, advisory committees, study groups, parole boards it goes on and on and on and never ends. It is absolutely ridiculous, The reason our justice /legal system is failing is because it is being used as a cash cow whereby prisoners and criminals are intentionally not punished or rehabilitated but rather they are being used and encouraged by a system that promotes repeat criminal activity which justifies the taxpayer dumping even more money into the system that is set up expressly to maintain and increase government spending of tax dollars that wind up in the pockets of the criminal industrial complex profiteers who engineered this whole fraudulent system of legal industry. The worst criminals are the white collar ones that devised and are orchestrating this fraud we call the justice system.

Boom!

Headshot.

/thread.