Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-13-2018, 03:25 PM

Default Mastercraft tools, no longer warrantied.

Its been coming down the pipes for a while, I could see it from a ways off, but today was the first time Canadian tire officially flat out refused to exchange a broken Mastercraft tool for me. It was also the last time I will ever purchase their tools, as I have promised them in the past would happen if they ever refused to stand behind their warranty.

It was a impact universal drive, a tool that they claim can only be purchased as a part of a kit, they refused to replace the kit on account of the broken U drive, and were also unwilling to separate another kit to give me just the U drive.

To add to my aggravation they also pointed out that I did not have a receipt, while I do have the receipt filed somewhere my argument has always been that warranty claim printed on the box is for the life of the tool.... a significantly longer amount of time than it takes a receipt to fade to the point it is cannot be used to return the tool. The day I need a receipt to return a broken tool to the manufacturer, the claim of a lifetime warranty is false. I do not need a receipt to return a Snap-on tool to Snap-on or a Channel Lock tool directly to Channel Lock, I should not need a receipt to take a Mastercraft tool back to Canadian tire. According to current store policies, even in a best case scenario a Mastercraft tool is only warrantied for the life of the receipt... roughly about 3 years in my experience.

So anyways, to anyone else out there that still buy's Mastercraft junk on the premise that although the tools will break, they can be easily exchanged... buyer beware. As far as I'm concerned they should no longer be allowed to advertise their tools as warrantied for life, or even at all in the case of tools that come in kits.

Last edited by Bushleague; 02-13-2018 at 03:37 PM.
Old 02-13-2018, 03:56 PM

Buy nice or buy twice .
Old 02-13-2018, 03:57 PM

Buy another one, if it happens to break in the exact same fashion take it back a week later and get your money back

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 02-13-2018, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Buy another one, if it happens to break in the exact same fashion take it back a week later and get your money back
The problem seems to be that to get my money back I also have to break several extensions and a 1\2 to 3\8 adaptor. As I said, they wont split up the kit, and they wont give me a new kit with only the U drive broken.
Old 02-13-2018, 04:16 PM

Are the U-Joints that they sell separately different looking from
the ones sold in the kit?
Old 02-13-2018, 04:16 PM

You need to go to another Canadian tire.

Someone there is on a power trip.

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 02-13-2018, 04:17 PM

easier- 1/2" black impact universal?

PM me your address. I have too many in the box, was going to throw some out when I clean up this spring.

Not kidding. screw em

Old 02-13-2018, 04:19 PM

Yep, I bought a booster pack from Can. tire last year in Cold Lake because I was having battery issues with my truck. Although i replaced the batteries I didn't want to be stranded. Never used it, brought it home and charged it.
two months later had a dead battery on a different truck went to boost it and it didn't have enough charge in the pack to even light up the LED.

I tried to return it to STETTLER Can. tire and they told me that since it was from cold lake store i would have to take it there if I wanted a refund.They were acting like I was trying to pull a scam.
Wasn't going to make a trip to Cold Lake to refund a $350 booster.
Hate that place but just can't stay out of it.
The Stettler location has been the worse one I have had to deal with though.
Old 02-13-2018, 04:23 PM

Canadian Tire has been going the way of Walmart for a while now, you know, cheap prices and cheap quality. I knew at some point they'd start pulling this crap. I stopped shopping there about two years ago as the don't service anything they sell anymore and the quality is so low I may as well shop somewhere else.
Old 02-13-2018, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckbrush View Post
Yep, I bought a booster pack from Can. tire last year in Cold Lake because I was having battery issues with my truck. Although i replaced the batteries I didn't want to be stranded. Never used it, brought it home and charged it.

two months later had a dead battery on a different truck went to boost it and it didn't have enough charge in the pack to even light up the LED.

I tried to return it to STETTLER Can. tire and they told me that since it was from cold lake store i would have to take it there if I wanted a refund.They were acting like I was trying to pull a scam.

Wasn't going to make a trip to Cold Lake to refund a $350 booster.

Hate that place but just can't stay out of it.

The Stettler location has been the worse one I have had to deal with though.

I don’t know how they do it, but the Stettler Canadian tire store ruins every trip I make there.
It’s mind blowing.
Old 02-13-2018, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalhunter View Post
Buy nice or buy twice .
Ha. Exactly. Like that. Stolen
Old 02-13-2018, 04:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
You need to go to another Canadian tire.

Someone there is on a power trip.
this
Old 02-13-2018, 05:53 PM

I had a 3/8 drive ratchet bugger up and took it back to Canadian Tire in spruce grove. They told me just to go get another ratchet and bring it to customer service. I go to get another ratchet and all the ratchets look like something out of a $5.00 kids play set. I went back to customer service and said “you don’t have another ratchet like this”. The girl replied that she new that and the replacement for my ratchet was not the same as the original.
Old 02-13-2018, 06:08 PM

There are sound reasons why CT is the last place I will look for anything.
Made in China junk that breaks at first use is the first reason. Secondly, special sale stuff is frequently not there on the first day of the sale.
Old 02-13-2018, 06:23 PM

I thought about my tools the other day and then realized all my Craftsman tools don't have a lifetime warranty here anymore either.
Old 02-13-2018, 06:24 PM

I broke a pair of water pump pliers this past summer. Took them back to the CT on 50th street in Edmonton and was told at the service desk that mine were the old model and that they could not provide a replacement as the models would not be "in kind". Asking for the manager did not help.
Old 02-13-2018, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATF View Post
I thought about my tools the other day and then realized all my Craftsman tools don't have a lifetime warranty here anymore either.
I've never broke a Craftsman tool in my life, and I have quite a bit of it in my box and just broke a socket and a ratcheting wrench on the same repair, go figure.

Goodbye warranty on all of it unless Stanley honours it but can't see that happening.
Old 02-13-2018, 07:22 PM
Banned

are the maximum tools warranted better than mastercraft?
Old 02-13-2018, 08:29 PM

it works for changing management and non/policy practices;
http://www.lemontreeopinions.com/web...adiantire.html
Old 02-14-2018, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickakooKookoo View Post
Canadian Tire has been going the way of Walmart for a while now, you know, cheap prices and cheap quality. I knew at some point they'd start pulling this crap. I stopped shopping there about two years ago as the don't service anything they sell anymore and the quality is so low I may as well shop somewhere else.
Actually, at this point my local Wallmart will exchange a product for instore credit without a receipt. A receipt is only required if one wants their money back. This is pretty decent of them because almost nothing that Wallmart sells is exclusive to Wallmart.

Canadian Tire's policy is no return's whatsoever without a receipt, even on products like Mastercraft that can only be purchased from Canadian Tire.

So on this level, Canadian Tire has actually been surpassed by Wallmart, pretty poor performance IMO.
Old 02-14-2018, 08:29 AM

Mastercraft’a new brand.........Crafty.
Old 02-14-2018, 08:43 AM

I think the whole problem is the fact that each Canadian Tire store is a franchise. What occurs with a return that was purchased at another store, is they only actually lose money by returning defective stuff from another store... or at least that what they claim.

They have to replace with their inventory at no profit, and return to the mothership with shipping and staff costs at their expense.

So the other store gets the profit, and the hassle of return and replace comes at nonprofit, but all the costs.

I’ve had other CT stores push back on me until I talk to the store manager. If they refuse, it’s a call to corporate and it gets dealt with. They are not supposed to push customers away as it hurts the brand from the corporate perspective, and their obligations to do the return are spelled out in the franchise agreement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-14-2018, 09:31 AM

Canadian Tire tools are now complete junk. Stay away.
Old 02-14-2018, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by propliner View Post
Canadian Tire tools are now complete junk. Stay away.
They've beat Princess Auto to the bottom of the heap. Peavy Mart is even worse. Bought a nail puller on impulse. First nail, the claw broke, they refused me a refund.

Grizz
Old 02-14-2018, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
Its been coming down the pipes for a while, I could see it from a ways off, but today was the first time Canadian tire officially flat out refused to exchange a broken Mastercraft tool for me. It was also the last time I will ever purchase their tools, as I have promised them in the past would happen if they ever refused to stand behind their warranty.

It was a impact universal drive, a tool that they claim can only be purchased as a part of a kit, they refused to replace the kit on account of the broken U drive, and were also unwilling to separate another kit to give me just the U drive.

To add to my aggravation they also pointed out that I did not have a receipt, while I do have the receipt filed somewhere my argument has always been that warranty claim printed on the box is for the life of the tool.... a significantly longer amount of time than it takes a receipt to fade to the point it is cannot be used to return the tool. The day I need a receipt to return a broken tool to the manufacturer, the claim of a lifetime warranty is false. I do not need a receipt to return a Snap-on tool to Snap-on or a Channel Lock tool directly to Channel Lock, I should not need a receipt to take a Mastercraft tool back to Canadian tire. According to current store policies, even in a best case scenario a Mastercraft tool is only warrantied for the life of the receipt... roughly about 3 years in my experience.

So anyways, to anyone else out there that still buy's Mastercraft junk on the premise that although the tools will break, they can be easily exchanged... buyer beware. As far as I'm concerned they should no longer be allowed to advertise their tools as warrantied for life, or even at all in the case of tools that come in kits.
Where you speaking with the 16 year old manager or the real general Store Manager when given this information/attitude?

I have recently been asked for my name and phone number on returning a couple of items.
I even returned a wrench set that I thought I needed.

It was on sale for 40% off and i didnt have the receipt, but the Store manager said she would refund my money at last ''Sale Price" to which I was fine with.

I think their might be qa policy on multiple returns for those who abuse the system.

I am not suggesting you the OP are abusing the system, but we all know one or two I am describing.
Rob
Old 02-14-2018, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .257Weatherby View Post
Where you speaking with the 16 year old manager or the real general Store Manager when given this information/attitude?

I have recently been asked for my name and phone number on returning a couple of items.
I even returned a wrench set that I thought I needed.

It was on sale for 40% off and i didnt have the receipt, but the Store manager said she would refund my money at last ''Sale Price" to which I was fine with.

I think their might be qa policy on multiple returns for those who abuse the system.

I am not suggesting you the OP are abusing the system, but we all know one or two I am describing.
Rob

Lol, being a millwright and using my tools very regularly I do end up breaking a few tools a year. I wouldn't ever dream of returning something simply because I bought it on impulse though
Old 02-14-2018, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
Lol, being a millwright and using my tools very regularly I do end up breaking a few tools a year. I wouldn't ever dream of returning something simply because I bought it on impulse though
Not so much as impulse as it was one of a set of wrenches I thought I could use on the motorcycle.

It was cheaper at the time to buy the set of seven as it was to buy just the one.

But, upon disassembly of the clutch the offset in the wrench was not enough to reach the nut I needed to hold, but I guess Im one of 'those guys' I spoke of.
Rob
Old 02-14-2018, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
They've beat Princess Auto to the bottom of the heap. Peavy Mart is even worse. Bought a nail puller on impulse. First nail, the claw broke, they refused me a refund.

Grizz
Those cheap Titan ratchets that Peavymart sells though... I have some high dollar Snap-on, Gray, and Matco ratchets that aren't any smoother or tougher than those things. Well, the Gray's are probably tougher but nowhere near as smooth.

Easy there, 257. I don't judge, your original post just struck me as slightly ironic.
Old 02-14-2018, 10:32 AM

I never buy anything regular price at CanTire, but whenever there is a sale on, I open up the box and go thru everything. I'm pretty sure that everything they place on sale has been returned to the store for whatever reason. I have bought stuff there so many times and got home to open in up and the box is missing something or there is clear evidence that it has been used. Everytime this happens, I say to myself that I will never shop there again, but after 2 weeks I always come back
Old 02-17-2018, 08:01 AM

All good info to know.....so, with the affordable middle of the road tools (Craftsman and Mastercraft) for the average home repair guy such as myself, where do you now go to buy in Canada?

Gray and Snap-on are out of my price. If I was a professional I would buy quality but for my application Mastercraft and Craftsman met my needs....

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.