Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-14-2018, 02:11 PM

Default Logging Kananaskis

I just saw this, really can't comprehend what the thought process is here on our governments part? I have been hunting, camping and enjoying this part of Alberta for over 30 years now so I know what this area means to my family and the many other people who enjoy this area and section of Hwy 40. Can't hardly believe that this is happening. Just thought I would share with everyone here.

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=1325910

Last edited by Back Country Hunter; 02-14-2018 at 02:22 PM. Reason: Spelling error
Old 02-14-2018, 02:49 PM

Made my heart sink. Drove that highway many times.
This has happened to me in the past, not in the mountains though. I have been hunting all along hwy 33 for the better part of my adult life. Got to know all the little trails running away form the highway. One fall, the first trip out, a huge chunk of some of my favorite bush was gone (right by the center of Alberta pull out). The next year another big section was removed on the other side of the highway.
Now further west another big chunk has been flagged, and has been for a couple years, but nothing has happened yet.
Old 02-14-2018, 03:22 PM

255 hectares in total over two years, just under a square mile.
Old 02-14-2018, 03:25 PM

Scientific logging, or uncontrolled wildfire, which would you rather have ?

Grizz
Old 02-14-2018, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nast70 View Post
Made my heart sink. Drove that highway many times.
This has happened to me in the past, not in the mountains though. I have been hunting all along hwy 33 for the better part of my adult life. Got to know all the little trails running away form the highway. One fall, the first trip out, a huge chunk of some of my favorite bush was gone (right by the center of Alberta pull out). The next year another big section was removed on the other side of the highway.
Now further west another big chunk has been flagged, and has been for a couple years, but nothing has happened yet.
Straw house tough to heat in the winter? Probably more R value than a mud hut I suppose
Old 02-14-2018, 04:04 PM

There is not much science being used in the way they are logging most places unless you are talking about the equipment they use
Old 02-14-2018, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushbug View Post
There is not much science being used in the way they are logging most places unless you are talking about the equipment they use
Care to explain?
Old 02-14-2018, 04:14 PM

I always get a chuckle when I hear of the pristine natural beauty that is Kananaskis country. I remember about twenty years ago building a house up in the foothills in that area. The landowner's family had been there for over a hundred years at that point. They had a little shack that was kind of their bunkhouse in the yard that had all sort of old pictures on the walls. In one picture was the old bunkhouse sitting in the middle of the bald ass prairies with rolling hills behind it. I asked where they had moved the shack from originally because of the picture. The owner just laughed and said it was built right where it stood. The eastern slopes didn't have a tree on it for the past thousand years before the white man had come. Now people are up in arms because we are destroying "nature". Go figure!
Old 02-14-2018, 04:28 PM

Old 02-14-2018, 04:33 PM

Log it or watch it burn.
Old 02-14-2018, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post

Grizz

^This!

Man has been supressing the natural regeneration process of wildfire since settlers started ariving here.

Resulting in old, dead and diseased forests.

Getting to the point here where our forests are so over suppressed and diseased that wildfires are getting out of the control and of historic size.
Old 02-14-2018, 06:09 PM

Log it before the beetles hit it.

Those little suckers are nasty to the forest.

I'd go after the best lumber wood now if I were a forest lumberer.

It looked pretty crappy on the BC side back in '07.
Old 02-14-2018, 07:26 PM

Default Looking for cash

How is Alberta benefiting from everything going to bc??? Time to separate. I hear more and more benefits. We would just have to carve an energy Wright away to the coast. We could buy ... or just annex it with force. A well armed Alberta militia would be key to the success. Hahahaha
Old 02-14-2018, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post

Grizz

Why do people always go on about fires etc? We log trees to make lumber and poop tickets as well as other paper products, pure and simple
Old 02-14-2018, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79ford View Post
Why do people always go on about fires etc? We log trees to make lumber and poop tickets as well as other paper products, pure and simple
And the added benefits are......? Figure it out
Old 02-14-2018, 09:01 PM

NIMBY.... waaaaa waaaaa waaaaa

Who are you going to blame when all the ohv's are gone and the fish are still dieing
Old 02-14-2018, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_Wagon View Post
255 hectares in total over two years, just under a square mile.
Sounds like 430 hectares with plans of two more blocks in the same area.
Old 02-14-2018, 09:29 PM

Weather or not the logging is a good idea I wish they wouldn't leave the clear cuts such a ****ing mess that you can't walk across them without risk of breaking a leg. I hate trying to cross a cut with a few inches of snow on it, not much fun even without snow.
Old 02-14-2018, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79ford View Post
Try reading a book. Or a published research document..

Don’t worry, I hugged it before I cut it down..
Old 02-14-2018, 10:39 PM

I was out today grooming trails in Cataract Creek Snow Vehicle Area and they were loading equipment from the cut up towards the Plateau. They were putting it on the edge of the highway just East of the junction of Hwy 40 and 940. Guess they are going to cross the river and head into the trees on the South side of the river.

Guess the view is gonna change for the people heading into K Country.
People want a 4000 sq ft house. That takes trees. My only issue is they are going to BC and out of Alberta taking jobs with them.

If you seen how large some of the new cuts were in Cataract Creek it would shock you. Huge sizes and they dont really care about recreation needs. Across designated trails with minimal care.
Old 02-14-2018, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailguy View Post
I was out today grooming trails in Cataract Creek Snow Vehicle Area and they were loading equipment from the cut up towards the Plateau. They were putting it on the edge of the highway just East of the junction of Hwy 40 and 940. Guess they are going to cross the river and head into the trees on the South side of the river.

Guess the view is gonna change for the people heading into K Country.
People want a 4000 sq ft house. That takes trees. My only issue is they are going to BC and out of Alberta taking jobs with them.

If you seen how large some of the new cuts were in Cataract Creek it would shock you. Huge sizes and they dont really care about recreation needs. Across designated trails with minimal care.
Forestry companies are probably taking what they can while they can, ndp is shutting down all sorts of land these days so they are likely just going to take what they can under the assumption you very well could lose the lease.
Old 02-15-2018, 09:12 AM

I've said it before- log it then burn it and let it regenerate naturally Without sprays. That's the most natural way to reap the wood and allow nature to regenerate the way she intends. It would become a hunters paradise.
Old 02-15-2018, 09:37 AM

Why is there 2 threads on this started by the same person?

I'll paste what I wrote on the other thread.

Maybe Alberta should build houses with plastic studs made from all the oil they can't get to tide water.

Logging has far less impact than catastrophic forest fires. Wood is a renewable resource.

To those who oppose logging, are you opposed to the Alberta oil and gas industry?? It's a nonrenewable with far more long term impact.

As for the out of province argument, the same happens with your oil. It gets shipped raw to other countries. The AB gov't still gets royalties on the timber.

It will grow back and create excellent habitat for all sorts of critters. A mosaic landscape is better than a monoculture.

And before anyone jumps on me, I do have an education in forestry, am registered with the Association of BC Forest Professionals, and practice forestry as my career.
Old 02-15-2018, 10:10 AM

They’re just logging before their permits get pulled due to it getting turned into a park. As long as they stay clear of the water and drainage areas I’m ok with it (that is a condition that I sure hope is policed more than it often is). I’d like to see a bit more of a barrier between logging and rivers and more enforcement of that but overall logging is replacing a lot of forest fires, within a few years it’s a food thing.
Old 02-15-2018, 10:21 AM

I did not mind logging when cut blocks could be measured in acres (eg; 50- 100 acres) Now the greed is so great they take 1000+ acre cut blocks off our trapline. They do put up many little signs to make it look like many cut blocks.
Old 02-15-2018, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tundraltd View Post
Sounds like 430 hectares with plans of two more blocks in the same area.
All I could find was 430 requested but only 255 approved over two years.
Old 02-15-2018, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
I did not mind logging when cut blocks could be measured in acres (eg; 50- 100 acres) Now the greed is so great they take 1000+ acre cut blocks off our trapline. They do put up many little signs to make it look like many cut blocks.
Are those cut blocks in your trap line or are you referring to a different area?
Old 02-16-2018, 09:44 AM

Our line is north of 16, just referring to some of the "games" played by large forestry giants like West Fraser. They find one brown dead pine tree, then claim pine beetle, so they can take it all.
Old 02-16-2018, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Our line is north of 16, just referring to some of the "games" played by large forestry giants like West Fraser. They find one brown dead pine tree, then claim pine beetle, so they can take it all.
Yeah that sucks when companies pull stuff like that, I’m guessing it’s because they’re worried about their permits getting pulled so they’re taking it while they can. On a somewhat unrelated note as you may know are trap lines under threat with this whole talk of y2y and turning the mountains into a series of parks?
Old 02-17-2018, 01:51 PM

what I can't believe is our provincial government thinks its ok for BC companies to log in one of our parks while BC opposes our pipeline(s) in their province