Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 09-24-2012, 10:07 AM

Default Meeting to discuss possible Calgary local

Hey Everyone

I wanted to let everyone here know that there will be a meeting on November 8, 2012 from 7-9 pm in Calgary to discuss the possibility of a Calgary Local. I understand that the South Country Trappers have recently started up and are doing excellent work, this meeting is not meant to step on any toes, we would just like to have a discussion about a Local a bit closer to the Calgary/Airdrie area, and one that is part of the ATA. Everyone is welcome, The purpose is only to see what sort of interest there is and maybe get a few fresh faces out to learn about trapping.
I look forward to hearing all of your thoughts!
It is at 2609 19th Ave SW
Old 09-24-2012, 12:43 PM

For the record, we will be voting on joining the ATA at our AGM on October 13th.

Saving one animal won't change the world, but the world will change for that one animal!

Old 09-24-2012, 09:22 PM

Wow that's great news on both fronts. Molly your energy and the good work your organization, South Country Trappers, has done would make you a welcome addition to the ATA, should you chose to go that route.

Emily if I can assist you in any way or answer any questions you may have I'd be happy to do so. Our Grande Prairie trappers local has sure provided a lot of on the ground support and fun to our local trappers.

I'm proud to have been part of the restarting of our local, and when I see what guys like Jason Parker have done in kick starting the Peace River local its neat to see how just a few folks can make a difference.

Good luck.
Old 09-24-2012, 10:41 PM

Thats awesome Molly. I know you guys are doing great work, I got a chance to have a few good chats with some of your members at the rendezvous. Like I said I don't want to step on any toes and you guys are doing good work in or out of the ATA. I am just hoping to get a local going a bit closer to Cochrane, Airdrie, Calgary; or at least see how people feel about it. Anyone from the South Country Trappers is more than welcome to come and tell me what they think! and hopefully I can make it down to one of your meetings soon.
Thanks Brian! A lot of the people in the ATA and otherwise have been offering a lot of help so hopefully we can get something going, I guess we will just have to see. If you know anyone in this area that is trapping or is looking to start, let them know about the Nov 8th meeting.
I think Calgary is a huge opportunity for us as far as education goes, which is my priority, so I am hoping we can get our name out there a bit in a city so big!
Thanks again!
Old 09-25-2012, 01:55 PM
AO Sponsor

Molly, would that mean the South Country Association would change from an association to an ATA local or would it mean the South Country Association would continue on as an association with some kind of affiliation with the ATA?

Your statement about joining the ATA sounds good to me, but could you clarify what kind of options you are looking at?

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-25-2012, 04:03 PM

We just became incorporated so I expect we will remain the SCTA. There are several ATA locals that are associations. It is my understanding that we will hold a members-only vote on joining the ATA as a local which, if passed, will be sent into the ATA as a resolution and then we wait to see what they decide.
So, as I mentioned before, this AGM is an important one and I encourage folks to attend if they wish to be heard. And, remember, you have to be a licensed trapper to become a voting member. Thanks!!

Saving one animal won't change the world, but the world will change for that one animal!

Old 09-25-2012, 11:30 PM

Molly I think if you folks decide to get involved with the ATA you'll find you're more than welcome. We need folks with a passion for our industry and all the work you've done to date shows the passion the SCT has. I hope you folks join us. Best of luck.
Old 09-26-2012, 06:13 PM
AO Sponsor

Thanks. I have to pass on your day, I have other commitments with my kids. One of these times...
Old 09-27-2012, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S View Post
Thanks. I have to pass on your day, I have other commitments with my kids. One of these times...
Is this directed to Emily or me??

Old 11-05-2012, 10:31 AM

Default anyone in Calgary

Going to this meeting that might have a bit of trap dye I can buy?Bought 5 new traps assuming I stil had dye but none left. Cant see paying $25 shipping for a $6 pack of dye if I can buy a bit locally. PM me if you can help out
thanks
Rob
Old 11-05-2012, 10:50 AM

Hey Rob

If you can confirm that your coming, I can ask either someone from up north to bring down some trap dye for you to buy no problem.
Bring your friends!

Emily
Old 11-05-2012, 11:10 AM

Default Happy to get it

If someone is coming down.

$25 shipping from Edmonton seems a bit excessive from Halfords mail order store.
thanks
Rob
Old 11-08-2012, 12:20 PM

Default not sure about city

but roads are getting nasty out here and could continue to get worse. Is this going to be rescheduled or continue on as planned for 7 PM??
rob
Old 11-08-2012, 02:33 PM

I will still be there for 7 to accommodate anyone who can come. I know Gordy is at the airport waiting to get down here. I understand the roads are rough, and of you don't want to risk it then by all means stay inside! It looks like there is quite a bit of interest in the local, so of anyone here can't make it but wants to be a member or wants info about the meeting, pm me your email and I will update everyone on how it goes.
I'll be there for anyone who decides to brave the storm.

Tags
calgary, meeting, trapping