Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 10-31-2012, 11:49 AM

Default Utv tracks for trapping.

Hi there I have a rhino 700 and am looking to put a set of tracks on it and use that on my line this season. Wondering if there is as difference from tracks for a atv to utv and if so can you use atv tracks on a utv? Also have been looking around and not sure if there is a difference between brands, also want the best deal I can find is it worth going used? I will just be using them in the winter, any info at all would be greatly appreciated thank you
Old 10-31-2012, 12:13 PM

My buddy is a Yamaha dealer and recommends the Camoplast Tatou 4s system majority of the time. Less cost, easier to get replacement parts if needed-make in Canada.

The Yamaha dealer in Prnice George is a distributor for the Mattracks. Sweet setup, most surface area cover in rough terrain BUT also most expensive.

Call your local dealer and see what they recommend.

I have road in a Rhino with tracks a few winters ago with another consultant-rhino was fully enclosed cab with a heater. Quite impressive inthe deep snow in the cutblocks. He did pack a chainsaw as if needed when issues with hidden logs and trying to back up, the attack angle would not allow rear tracks to get over logs.

Maybe things have changed a bit since then .

Here are 2 links. Watch videos.

http://camoplastsolideal.com/atv-utv
Mattracks
Old 10-31-2012, 12:47 PM

Been wanting a set myself for a while but $$$. I would go with the Tatou's the 4's use to be pretty good. Some are more oriented to snow and some are built more mulit season . Every once in a while a set comes up for sale on Kijiji. UTV ones are a bit bigger and each will usually have make/model specific mounting or adapters. You're gonna see about a 30% reduction in speed and fuel economy. Show us where you've been if you get some!
Old 10-31-2012, 06:37 PM

The junior on my line has the Tatou's on his Rhino. He loves them. He says they are easy to put on/take off by yourself. You go very slow and the fuel level goes down faster. If you don't have the enclosed cab then be prepared to be covered in snow.

Personally i like my sled. I do hate when he breaks trail though. One ski is almost always in one of his tracks and makes it a bit tougher to manuvere if its very deep snow.
Old 11-03-2012, 11:24 PM

well i thought i did my research...1 year 3 months ago i starter my journey for the almighty machine...i looked @ every track on the market ...i read about the winter only vs all season tracks...what atv,what is the right cc for the tracks...
finally the day came...can am 650 with power steering, camo in color with tatou 4 s tracks....
man that atv looked so good on my sled deck on my black diesel truck...
finally got to the trap line...i got 100 yard from my truck & a code came up saying that the power steering was having issues..so i tried to turn a corner & i could not turn the handle bars...so i took the atv back & the dealer installed a chip or as they call it a module..it gives more power to the power steering...
went back to the trap line,this time i got a km into the trip & i could not steer anymore...if you have a trap line in the boreal forest, the tracks are pretty big for this purpose...i would say that if a guy had a cabin or just lived on 1 of the towns on slave lake & wanted to travel to & from his ice hut....tracks would be the answer,but they are not for a close and confined trap line...
Old 11-03-2012, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by junglejay7320 View Post
well i thought i did my research...1 year 3 months ago i starter my journey for the almighty machine...i looked @ every track on the market ...i read about the winter only vs all season tracks...what atv,what is the right cc for the tracks...
finally the day came...can am 650 with power steering, camo in color with tatou 4 s tracks....
man that atv looked so good on my sled deck on my black diesel truck...
finally got to the trap line...i got 100 yard from my truck & a code came up saying that the power steering was having issues..so i tried to turn a corner & i could not turn the handle bars...so i took the atv back & the dealer installed a chip or as they call it a module..it gives more power to the power steering...
went back to the trap line,this time i got a km into the trip & i could not steer anymore...if you have a trap line in the boreal forest, the tracks are pretty big for this purpose...i would say that if a guy had a cabin or just lived on 1 of the towns on slave lake & wanted to travel to & from his ice hut....tracks would be the answer,but they are not for a close and confined trap line...
shoulda went with a Yamaha......... just sayin ..
Old 11-05-2012, 10:25 AM

Found some used camoplast 4s tracks in perfect shape for under half price. I think they will be the answer can't wait to get up to the line and set some steel. Thanks for all the help guys.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:33 AM

Default quad tracks

I have some tatou 4s tracks on an Outlander 800 (no power steering) - it works awseome. It will break trail with less effort than my Tundra. The steering is a little heavy though.