Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-14-2018, 08:11 PM

We set a bad example for other hunters and outdoorsmen with this bickering, I hope the OP finds out the reason, I’m sure it’s valid, if he thinks it’s not that’s another discussion we can have but until then we should relax and wait for the facts.
Old 10-14-2018, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageValleyOutdoors View Post
Guys... c’mon. Even if we disagree, we don’t need to resort to insults and threats.
The entire point of a public outdoorsmen forum is so that we can discuss issues that involve our sport, and hopefully hear other guys point of view.

Although i don’t agree with the OP, i don’t need to be rude or a dick to try to force him to see things from my angle. We’re all adults here. Let’s act like it.
Yes I was being rude and a dick
If you check my post history I’m usually not but today I’ll admit I’m a super turd
Old 10-14-2018, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
If you check the site listing in the Discover Guide it will give you the exact restrictions.
http://www.albertadiscoverguide.com/

As much as you might not like a property being restricted to Bow Hunting only, it is so much better than being a No Hunting property.

I have seen a number of properties profiled in the ACA Conservation Magazine when they first open and many of them have restrictions placed by the landowner who donated the land. Not all ACA land is purchased by the ACA.

Some of these properties also require contacting the owner who still lives on the property to ensure access is available when you wish to go.

If someone is generous enough to donate the land and their stipulation is no rifle hunting or no hunting at all for that matter, I don't want ACA turning down the property, even if I don't like the restrictions, there are many others who can still enjoy the site.

Phil
This land was purchased using tax dollars and donations and is not in the bow zone.

If there is a legitimate reason for restriction I have no problem with that.

What I would have a problem with is a tiny segment of the outdoor community getting privilege over another for an ideal.

If it is for safety reasons then shotgunning for birds should still be okay.

Do you people really want ACA designating certain areas for certain groups? I personally don't believe bow hunting is anymore ethical than rifle hunting and I certainly don't want my tax dollars and license fees being used to promote elitism.

If you do promote elitism please stay tuned for "fly fishing only" coming to a river or lake near you.
Old 10-14-2018, 08:24 PM

So back to the OP. Does anyone know of any ACA land with similar restrictions?

Does ACA even have the authority to make laws or restrict certain groups from their/our land?
Old 10-14-2018, 08:27 PM

If you don’t want to contact ACA to find out the reason behind the bowhunting only stipulation, then maybe you can private message somebody the property you’re speaking of, and we can find you an answer?? From reading through this thread, it seems to me that you have a large chip off your shoulder, in regards to bowhunters.

Bowhunters are not an elitist group of rich people who get more rights because of our status quo! The reason why Alberta’s bowhunters have more opportunities, is because bowhunting is a lot more difficult than rifle hunting. We are allowed longer seasons because our success rates, and our hunter numbers are much lower than that of rifle hunters. You are welcome to join the group of bowhunters who take advantage of longer seasons and more opportunities. Nobody is stopping you!

Fighting against bowhunters, because rifle hunters don’t have as many opportunities is ridiculous! I’m not saying you can’t be disappointed. However, Coming on a public forum and telling legal hunters that you are planning on disregarding rules of a conservation property that is open to the public, just because you think you should be able to do what you want. Is probably not the wisest thing to do!

We have offered you some suggestions on what to do to find out why the guidelines are set in place. But you don’t seem interested in anything other than getting what you want! I’m sorry for your frustrations, but if you are not actually looking for help, then why did you pose the question in the first place? It seems like you are just looking for justification from fellow members as to why it would even matter if you took your rifle out there.

If you’re going to just do what you want to, then why tell us at all? Realize that when you go out there, and you get caught disregarding the rules, that you’re not just affecting that one property, or yourself. You’re giving the whole hunting community a bad name as well!!

I hope you find your answer, and can be satisfied with it. And if not, follow the proper channels to get it changed. I enjoy rifle hunting just as much as I do bowhunting. However, I enjoy that less people are in the woods during bow season, and I feel much safer in the woods when I know that nobody is going to point a rifle at me, so they can look at me through their scope!! Good luck this year!!
Old 10-14-2018, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
I know more than one rancher that won't allow bow hunting
X2
Old 10-14-2018, 08:33 PM

I have been denied bow hunting permission before when the owner allowed rifle hunting, I thanked him for the discussion and moved on. He was tired of seeing guys take long bombs and seeing animals with arrows sticking out of them running around. His land...his rules, hard to argue with him.

ACA lands were all obtained in different ways, some purchased and some donated...perhaps the conditions of the ACA ownership was archery only access for hunting?

LC
Old 10-14-2018, 08:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post
http://www.albertadiscoverguide.com/search.cfm?h=1
Old 10-14-2018, 08:42 PM

I did quick search of albertadiscover site and ab conservation site. I can find no words related to bow hunting only, no rifle, firearms or different combinations of words related to restrictions on bow huntin vs rifle hunting. So since the OP is keeping his conservation site a secret honey hole. None of us are able to call or email to find out a reason so this will become yet another thread on here that has no outcome no answers. If the rule was placed on that site follow it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-14-2018, 08:44 PM

No such site exsists. Just another troll.
Old 10-14-2018, 08:45 PM

Quote:

Does ACA even have the authority to make laws or restrict certain groups from their/our land?
Are you referring to the property at Cygnet Lake?? If so, my guess would be it’s close proximity to the town of Sylvan lake. Considering a rifle can be lethal past 5kms, and the property is not even that far from town. I’m only guessing this property because it’s the only one I see on the discover guide that is within 100km of Sylvan lake.
Old 10-14-2018, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhunter9841 View Post
If you don’t want to contact ACA to find out the reason behind the bowhunting only stipulation, then maybe you can private message somebody the property you’re speaking of, and we can find you an answer?? From reading through this thread, it seems to me that you have a large chip off your shoulder, in regards to bowhunters.

Bowhunters are not an elitist group of rich people who get more rights because of our status quo! The reason why Alberta’s bowhunters have more opportunities, is because bowhunting is a lot more difficult than rifle hunting. We are allowed longer seasons because our success rates, and our hunter numbers are much lower than that of rifle hunters. You are welcome to join the group of bowhunters who take advantage of longer seasons and more opportunities. Nobody is stopping you!

Fighting against bowhunters, because rifle hunters don’t have as many opportunities is ridiculous! I’m not saying you can’t be disappointed. However, Coming on a public forum and telling legal hunters that you are planning on disregarding rules of a conservation property that is open to the public, just because you think you should be able to do what you want. Is probably not the wisest thing to do!

We have offered you some suggestions on what to do to find out why the guidelines are set in place. But you don’t seem interested in anything other than getting what you want! I’m sorry for your frustrations, but if you are not actually looking for help, then why did you pose the question in the first place? It seems like you are just looking for justification from fellow members as to why it would even matter if you took your rifle out there.

If you’re going to just do what you want to, then why tell us at all? Realize that when you go out there, and you get caught disregarding the rules, that you’re not just affecting that one property, or yourself. You’re giving the whole hunting community a bad name as well!!

I hope you find your answer, and can be satisfied with it. And if not, follow the proper channels to get it changed. I enjoy rifle hunting just as much as I do bowhunting. However, I enjoy that less people are in the woods during bow season, and I feel much safer in the woods when I know that nobody is going to point a rifle at me, so they can look at me through their scope!! Good luck this year!!
I am primarily a bird hunter but have bow hunted in the past. I don't think it is more difficult or ethical than rifle hunting but that is not any of my business and certainly not why I started this thread. I have no interest in rifle hunting this land as I have more than enough spots.

I have every intention of contacting ACA on Monday.

I started this thread to make others aware of this practice, hear other's thoughts on the subject and find out if this type of restriction is something others have encountered.

The name calling and belittling are just a bonus I guess and the main reason for less and less quality discussions on here.
Old 10-14-2018, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhunter9841 View Post
Are you referring to the property at Cygnet Lake?? If so, my guess would be it’s close proximity to the town of Sylvan lake. Considering a rifle can be lethal past 5kms, and the property is not even that far from town. I’m only guessing this property because it’s the only one I see on the discover guide that is within 100km of Sylvan lake.
Bird hunting is perfectly fine on Cygnet after a certain date IIRC. This is a bush quarter not near any city. The restrictions are on signs only, no mention on the website.
Old 10-14-2018, 09:27 PM

Quote:
I am primarily a bird hunter but have bow hunted in the past. I don't think it is more difficult or ethical than rifle hunting but that is not any of my business and certainly not why I started this thread. I have no interest in rifle hunting this land as I have more than enough spots.

I have every intention of contacting ACA on Monday.

I started this thread to make others aware of this practice, hear other's thoughts on the subject and find out if this type of restriction is something others have encountered.

The name calling and belittling are just a bonus I guess and the main reason for less and less quality discussions on here.

I have personally not experienced this on any of the ACA properties I have hunted. Personally don’t see bow hunting as more ethical either. However, I think ethics vary greatly from hunter to hunter as well. What one person views as ethical, might seem absurd to someone else.

I do my best to refrain from finger pointing and name calling on this site. I don’t post near as much as I used to. Mainly because of the giant ****ing matches that often happen on threads much like this one. I’m sorry I can’t be of more help in this situation. Please let us know what you find out! I’m curious to know the reason.

To touch on what Lefty-Canuck said above about landowners occasionally not allowing bowhunters. I used to hunt leased land, and the lease holder, despite having cows on the property, would allow us to hunt the land during bow season. Since the leased crown land layer was added to the iHunter app, He no longer allows bowhunting.

He lost a few cows a couple years back, I guess. I’m not sure if they were killed, he never said. I’ve seen people driving in and also leaving gates opened, so that could have been what happened?? I always did my best to avoid the cows! It’s sad, because that used to be a great property to hunt on during bow season. Now, the opportunity has been ruined by ignorant people’s disrespect for the lease holder and his livestock.
Old 10-14-2018, 09:32 PM

if the land was indeed donated then the whole argument of "paid for by tax dollars" or "my contributions begins to fall apart now doesn't it?
Old 10-14-2018, 09:47 PM

I'm on ACA Board and I don't need to know where the land is to respond to this question.

ACA land is either purchased ( usually with partners like AFGA / DU / etc. ) donated, or was transferred over as part of the old Bucks for Wildlife lands.

ACA takes a lot of pride in the fact that we provide land for Albertan's to use for outdoor pursuits like hiking, hunting, berry picking, and wildlife viewing. We would never designate land "bow hunting only" unless there was a valid reason for doing so. It's the opposite of what we stand for.

And to imply that ACA would try to drive a wedge between different camps of hunters is ridiculous. Sounds like someone is trying to work up some righteous anger before actually checking out the facts.

ACA is the best friend the hunting & trapping community has ever had. I encourage all Albertans who have an interest in the outdoors and conservation to check out what the ACA does.
Old 10-14-2018, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Came across some ACA that has signs saying that the use of firearms is strictly prohibited and it is for bow hunting only.

I found this strange as there is no obvious reason for this restriction.

Has anyone else found land like this and if so was a reason given for restriction to bows only?

Does the ACA even have the authority to make law for certain areas or restrict access to certain groups without reason?

If this is okay can we soon expect fly fishing only on some waters and other elitist intrusion to our enjoyment of ACA land?

I am not a bow hunter and do not appreciate being restricted from land that I have contributed to the purchase of. I have nothing against bow hunting but do not feel in any way that they are "fairer" or "more ethical" in their pursuit of game. In fact I believe an argument to the contrary is more logical and that bow hunters already enjoy enough preferential treatment with their early seasons and access to tags.

It would be very interesting to see what a person could be charged with if they ventured on to this land with a firearm. A person certainly wouldn't be trespassing or breaking any game laws.

What is the groups thoughts on this?

I took the time to read the entire thread, and what I find ironic is that you have been asked no less than 4 times what ACA you are referring to. Why is this ironic?????? Because your whole grip is the fact is you don't have access to this area for rifle hunting, yet when several people have asked you for the site info you have no desire to share. Who is the entitled one now?
Old 10-14-2018, 10:30 PM

Quote:
The restrictions are on signs only, no mention on the website.
Curious if the signs were ACA branded or if someone local took it up on their own accord to try and discourage rifle hunting?
Old 10-14-2018, 10:35 PM

From a legal perspective, I believe that there is no empowerment, aside from designation of lands as no firearms discharge zones or special designations under the Wildlife Act, administered by the province, which would give the ACA the legal authority to prohibit hunting in an open season with firearms. Unless there is some special legal designation for the place, assuming access is granted, all legal means of hunting would be allowable. That said, assuming the property is owned by the ACA, if the ACA or a designated agent or a tenant with rights wished someone to leave for any reason, they would be within their rights to do so. As others have indicated, it’s necessary to know what place is referred to, to really understand the situation.

In truth, it might really only be an ask, not a tell.
Old 10-14-2018, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Bildson View Post
I'm on ACA Board and I don't need to know where the land is to respond to this question.

ACA land is either purchased ( usually with partners like AFGA / DU / etc. ) donated, or was transferred over as part of the old Bucks for Wildlife lands.

ACA takes a lot of pride in the fact that we provide land for Albertan's to use for outdoor pursuits like hiking, hunting, berry picking, and wildlife viewing. We would never designate land "bow hunting only" unless there was a valid reason for doing so. It's the opposite of what we stand for.

And to imply that ACA would try to drive a wedge between different camps of hunters is ridiculous. Sounds like someone is trying to work up some righteous anger before actually checking out the facts.

ACA is the best friend the hunting & trapping community has ever had. I encourage all Albertans who have an interest in the outdoors and conservation to check out what the ACA does.
This was my understanding as well.

The land was purchased with funding from several organizations including but not limited to:

Central Alberta Chapter of Trout Unlimited
Edmonton Trout Fishing Club
Red Deer River Naturalists Society
Trout Unlimited — Northern Lights Fly Fishers Chapter
Alberta Fish and Game Association
Environment and Climate Change Canada, HSP
Conservation-minded individuals of the general public

The twin quarter beside it is fine for hunting and this is why I was asking about it. It was my understanding that you could either hunt a site or not. I have never noticed preferential treatment at other sites for bow hunters.

I ASKED THESE QUESTIONS TO BE BETTER INFORMED BEFORE I CONTACT ACA TOMORROW. I WASN'T TRYING TO WORK UP ANY RIGHTEOUS ANGER AND I DID NOT IMPLY THAT ACA WAS DRIVING A WEDGE BETWEEN OUTDOORSMEN.

I was denied access for no apparent reason and wanted to discuss this with other outdoorsmen. LIKE I MENTIONED SEVERAL TIMES, IF FOR GOOD REASON I AM FINE WITH IT!

Please tell me these other ACA sites that are restricted to bow hunting only outside of the bow zone.
Old 10-14-2018, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_W View Post
Curious if the signs were ACA branded or if someone local took it up on their own accord to try and discourage rifle hunting?
ACA signs
Old 10-14-2018, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
I took the time to read the entire thread, and what I find ironic is that you have been asked no less than 4 times what ACA you are referring to. Why is this ironic?????? Because your whole grip is the fact is you don't have access to this area for rifle hunting, yet when several people have asked you for the site info you have no desire to share. Who is the entitled one now?
Why should I have to tell you a spot to ask a question about ACA land and restricted access?
Old 10-14-2018, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wind drift View Post
From a legal perspective, I believe that there is no empowerment, aside from designation of lands as no firearms discharge zones or special designations under the Wildlife Act, administered by the province, which would give the ACA the legal authority to prohibit hunting in an open season with firearms. Unless there is some special legal designation for the place, assuming access is granted, all legal means of hunting would be allowable. That said, assuming the property is owned by the ACA, if the ACA or a designated agent or a tenant with rights wished someone to leave for any reason, they would be within their rights to do so. As others have indicated, it’s necessary to know what place is referred to, to really understand the situation.

Strictly prohibited is the language IIRC
Old 10-14-2018, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birchcraft View Post
if the land was indeed donated then the whole argument of "paid for by tax dollars" or "my contributions begins to fall apart now doesn't it?
Purchased land with partners;

Central Alberta Chapter of Trout Unlimited
Edmonton Trout Fishing Club
Red Deer River Naturalists Society
Trout Unlimited — Northern Lights Fly Fishers Chapter
Alberta Fish and Game Association
Environment and Climate Change Canada, HSP
Conservation-minded individuals of the general public
Old 10-14-2018, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wind drift View Post

The enforcement would come from the Wildlife Act Section 38 or the Petty Trespass Act. The landowner (ACA in this case) can give permission for persons to enter the property for certain activities. In this case the signage clearly states that persons using firearms to hunt in that particular ACA are not permitted. So if found doing so, it would constitute trespassing under either Act. This is no different than a farmer calling F&W to report someone hunting on his land without permission.
Old 10-14-2018, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Why should I have to tell you a spot to ask a question about ACA land and restricted access?
I am a hunter, maybe I would like to try the site. Isn't that your whole argument that everyone should have an opportunity to enjoy the site?
Old 10-14-2018, 11:09 PM

Quote:
I am a hunter, maybe I would like to try the site. Isn't that your whole argument that everyone should have an opportunity to enjoy the site?
Fill your boots
Old 10-14-2018, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Fill your boots
Hunters helping Hunters eh? Good Job!
Old 10-14-2018, 11:17 PM

Op you said what if your lake becomes a fly fish only lake . I would say to that, if that’s the rules then I would buy a fly rod and learn . So what no problem! Just a different way to enjoy the wild
Old 10-14-2018, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Hunters helping Hunters eh? Good Job!
Give me a break!

I don't expect other hunters to scout for me and neither should you. Gas is expensive and time is scarce. I have mentored many young people providing training, equipment and spots to hunt. I don't need your approval and don't appreciate your condescending demeanor. If you truly need help, shoot me a PM and I will help you out. If you are just trying to be another internet wise guy, please save it for someone who cares.