Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-05-2015, 12:23 PM

Default WMU 402 on foot?

Flying in from Toronto and will be visiting a friend in Calgary on the weekend and thinking heading out to 402 ( he would be my hunter host). Initially were thinking about Huns but have decided on trying for whitetail in 402...at least the scenery will be better.
No quads or anything...just plan to hike in for the day and out in the evening, any help would be appreciated. We are basically going in blind...should be good scenery and seeing any game would be a bonus. Any advice what would be a good hike in for the day away from the roads and quads.

Would really appreciate it if someone can give me an idea where to head on foot for the day...since im from Toronto...wont be messing with anyones spot even if they are kind enough to provide "extra details" where to go...and my friend hardly hunts anymore...im dragging him out and hoping he starts heading back out again.

From what ive read on the site...ill being bear spay and stay away from roads!
Old 10-05-2015, 12:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ali1k View Post
Flying in from Toronto and will be visiting a friend in Calgary on the weekend and thinking heading out to 402 ( he would be my hunter host). Initially were thinking about Huns but have decided on trying for whitetail in 402...at least the scenery will be better.
No quads or anything...just plan to hike in for the day and out in the evening, any help would be appreciated. We are basically going in blind...should be good scenery and seeing any game would be a bonus. Any advice what would be a good hike in for the day away from the roads and quads.

Would really appreciate it if someone can give me an idea where to head on foot for the day...since im from Toronto...wont be messing with anyones spot even if they are kind enough to provide "extra details" where to go...and my friend hardly hunts anymore...im dragging him out and hoping he starts heading back out again.

From what ive read on the site...ill being bear spay and stay away from roads!
Do a Google search on 402 and check the harvest reports.
Old 10-05-2015, 12:39 PM

Hopefully your host has a good handle on the area.
Old 10-05-2015, 12:40 PM

Just had a look!...i think slightly better chances than the lottery! haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerguy View Post
Do a Google search on 402 and check the harvest reports.
Old 10-05-2015, 12:41 PM

I guess ill find out on the weekend! ...im expecting a hike in a nice area...anything else is a bonus

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBF View Post
Hopefully your host has a good handle on the area.
Old 10-05-2015, 12:46 PM

Where about in 402. Its a big zone.. There is some great whitetails up there just off the trunk road..
Old 10-05-2015, 06:31 PM

402 is not a big zone compared to others. It is rough country though so bring some good boots and other equipment. Bring bear spray.
Old 10-06-2015, 07:18 AM

I'd focus my efforts around Dutch Creek and Racehorse Creek. Plenty of good glassing areas and meadows. Some advice:
  • Dress in layers - be prepared for elevation gains.
  • Bring bear spray
  • Wear good hiking shoes with ankle support
  • Bring rubber boots or hikers which allow you to cross creeks
  • Bring a camera - 402 is pretty this time of year

They don't get big by being dumb.
Old 10-06-2015, 07:56 AM

what are you going to be hunting for?
Old 10-06-2015, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drake View Post
what are you going to be hunting for?

He mentions whitetails in the original post. That'll be bucks only right now.

They don't get big by being dumb.
Old 10-06-2015, 08:51 AM

OP says "he would be my hunter host".........I would suggest that he "better be" your hunter host or he will be hunting illegally. A hunter host permit isnt something you just buy over the counter, i believe it must be applied for well in advance.
Old 10-06-2015, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchardy1972 View Post
402 is not a big zone compared to others. It is rough country though so bring some good boots and other equipment. Bring bear spray.
There used to be one real ornery grizz up Racehorse....probably lots of them now
Old 10-06-2015, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoytCRX32 View Post
There used to be one real ornery grizz up Racehorse....probably lots of them now
From my experience there is one around every corner in 402. Really grumpy bears in that area.
Old 10-06-2015, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjolg123 View Post
From my experience there is one around every corner in 402. Really grumpy bears in that area.
My experience as well.
Old 10-06-2015, 10:49 AM

Quote:
OP says "he would be my hunter host".........I would suggest that he "better be" your hunter host or he will be hunting illegally. A hunter host permit isnt something you just buy over the counter, i believe it must be applied for well in advance.
You can buy hunter host over counter like any license or tag. Unless it's changed this year.
Old 10-06-2015, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosh View Post
You can buy hunter host over counter like any license or tag. Unless it's changed this year.
Deadlines only seem to come into play when hosting non-resident aliens who are not relatives. For hosted non-resident Canadians I don' see any indication that you can't buy a host license over the counter.
Old 10-06-2015, 11:37 AM

Quote:
You can buy hunter host over counter like any license or tag.
x2
Old 10-06-2015, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Yes , but like drake says , it requires some planning and paperwork from a F&W office , prior to showing up at a vendor and asking for said permit .
Old 10-06-2015, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post
Yes , but like drake says , it requires some planning and paperwork from a F&W office , prior to showing up at a vendor and asking for said permit .
thats what im getting at...the host permit requires a certain class of guides license which you dont buy over the counter. could be wrong...but im pretty sure this is right
Old 10-06-2015, 02:41 PM

Quote:
thats what im getting at...the host permit requires a certain class of guides license which you dont buy over the counter. could be wrong...but im pretty sure this is right
Must be a new rule. I've been hosted numerous times and we just showed up and picked hunter host license for the resident I was hunting with and I picked up my non resident whitetail tag.
Old 10-06-2015, 03:19 PM

I found something that has some good info in it. It's called The Alberta Guide to Hunting Regulations :

"A Hunter Host

•Must be an adult resident, and be eligible to hold recreational hunting licences.
•Must be the holder of a valid WIN and Hunter Host Licence (below).
•may not provide services for gain or reward, or accept remuneration, directly or indirectly, for such services.
•may host a maximum of two (2) hunters/year, either Non-residents (Canadian), Non-resident Aliens or a combination thereof. If hosting 2 Non-resident Aliens, at least 1 must be a relative.
•may host Non-resident Aliens only if the host has not hosted a Non-resident Alien in the previous two (2) fiscal years (April 1 to March 31).
•must report to the Fish and Wildlife office by December 31 in the year of harvest all hunting activities by the Non-resident Aliens he or she hosted. A report must be submitted even if the hunter doesn’t harvest an animal.
•must accompany the hunter(s) named on his or her Hunter Host Licence while they are hunting big game under the authority of the Hunter Host Licence.

Hunter Host Licence

A resident who wishes to be a Hunter Host may purchase a Hunter Host Licence online at albertarelm.com or at any licence issuer. You must have the WIN(s) of the non-resident(s) at the time of purchase. You must ensure that the hunters you host are named on your Hunter Host Licence. If you purchase your Hunter Host licence naming one hunter and you decide to add a second hunter to your licence at a later date, you can do so at no additional charge. Return to albertarelm.com or to a licence issuer with your licence and have it amended. Once you have purchased your Hunter Host Licence, the hunters may purchase their licences.

A Hunter Host who plans to take a non-resident alien hunting must do the following:
1.Go to a Fish and Wildlife office in person and initiate an application (including statutory declaration). Sign it and have your signature sworn. If your Non-resident Alien is not a relative, you must start this process by August 31 or February 28 as described above.
2.Have the Non-resident Alien sign the application and have his or her signature sworn. If the Non-resident Alien does not have a WIN, have him or her fill out a WIN application at the same time.
3.Take the completed application to a Fish and Wildlife office. The application will be reviewed for final approval and keyed into the automated licensing system.
4.When you are notified that your application is approved, go online at albertarelm.com or to any licence issuer and purchase your Hunter Host Licence (see above) and the appropriate Wildlife Certificate and licences."
Old 10-06-2015, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
I found something that has some good info in it. It's called The Alberta Guide to Hunting Regulations :

"A Hunter Host

•Must be an adult resident, and be eligible to hold recreational hunting licences.
•Must be the holder of a valid WIN and Hunter Host Licence (below).
•may not provide services for gain or reward, or accept remuneration, directly or indirectly, for such services.
•may host a maximum of two (2) hunters/year, either Non-residents (Canadian), Non-resident Aliens or a combination thereof. If hosting 2 Non-resident Aliens, at least 1 must be a relative.
•may host Non-resident Aliens only if the host has not hosted a Non-resident Alien in the previous two (2) fiscal years (April 1 to March 31).
•must report to the Fish and Wildlife office by December 31 in the year of harvest all hunting activities by the Non-resident Aliens he or she hosted. A report must be submitted even if the hunter doesn’t harvest an animal.
•must accompany the hunter(s) named on his or her Hunter Host Licence while they are hunting big game under the authority of the Hunter Host Licence.

Hunter Host Licence

A resident who wishes to be a Hunter Host may purchase a Hunter Host Licence online at albertarelm.com or at any licence issuer. You must have the WIN(s) of the non-resident(s) at the time of purchase. You must ensure that the hunters you host are named on your Hunter Host Licence. If you purchase your Hunter Host licence naming one hunter and you decide to add a second hunter to your licence at a later date, you can do so at no additional charge. Return to albertarelm.com or to a licence issuer with your licence and have it amended. Once you have purchased your Hunter Host Licence, the hunters may purchase their licences.

A Hunter Host who plans to take a non-resident alien hunting must do the following:
1.Go to a Fish and Wildlife office in person and initiate an application (including statutory declaration). Sign it and have your signature sworn. If your Non-resident Alien is not a relative, you must start this process by August 31 or February 28 as described above.
2.Have the Non-resident Alien sign the application and have his or her signature sworn. If the Non-resident Alien does not have a WIN, have him or her fill out a WIN application at the same time.
3.Take the completed application to a Fish and Wildlife office. The application will be reviewed for final approval and keyed into the automated licensing system.
4.When you are notified that your application is approved, go online at albertarelm.com or to any licence issuer and purchase your Hunter Host Licence (see above) and the appropriate Wildlife Certificate and licences."
Thanks Oko....its a darn shame its so easy! (but thats a topic for another thread)
Old 10-06-2015, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Thanks Oko....its a darn shame its so easy! (but thats a topic for another thread)
Hey, what's that saying about a blind squirrel? LOL
Old 10-06-2015, 05:12 PM

Just logged on today...thanks for the advice and clarification. The hunter host process is quite simple for Non resident Canadians.
Now...should i go for Elk or WT is the question! ....to be honest i have no clue what to expect other than some good scenery!
Old 10-06-2015, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ali1k View Post
Now...should i go for Elk or WT is the question! !
I'd buy both. Not that expensive. Just think long and hard about how far you are from the truck before you pull the trigger on an elk.
Old 10-06-2015, 06:05 PM

For those special locations....ill shoot...with a camera!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
I'd buy both. Not that expensive. Just think long and hard about how far you are from the truck before you pull the trigger on an elk.
Old 10-06-2015, 06:54 PM

i just come back from 402,lost 4 pounds in 2 days off looking for an elk,saw very unfirendly old guy whose looking for white tail doe we shot 6 grouse,one rabbit,alots of grizzly tracks,one came to our camp(200yards) saw one old man,one cow elk,one rabbit,6 grouse.
Old 10-06-2015, 08:44 PM

South end of 402 is where my buddies acreage is. Was out last weekend and saw 3 nice groups of whitetail but only 1 buck and he was tiny, I couldn't take the shot. Power lines are your friend there.

It's still early for the elk to come down from the hills, that's my experience.
Old 10-07-2015, 05:54 PM

I was near the west slope of Windy/Livingston this past weekend and saw quite a few WT. Spooked a small bachelor group of 5 bucks laying in among some logs, nothing big but plenty of freezer fillers. Trick is you gotta hike in a bit and get away from the road and ATV trails. Didn't see any Elk or sign, they are still higher up from what I could tell. Saw two Grizz (sow/cub) in the same cut block so keep the bear spray handy.

Good luck, it can be a productive place if you look in the right spots.
Old 10-09-2015, 10:04 AM

Thanks for all the help everyone!...looking forward to the weekend!