Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-08-2015, 05:21 PM

Default scrapes and Rubs

What do they tell you? Do you plan your hunt around them? Is it usually a mature buck making the scrape? Is it just pre rut you see this? How often do they freshen it up?

Just want to hear every ones theory as I am sure it will vary. I have noticed a scrape and rubs right along a back road 3 years in a row in almost identical spots and find it interesting.
Old 10-09-2015, 12:20 AM

Rubs and scrapes are always a good indicater that a buck is there but he may not be back to check his scent trail in a few days or two and that may be at night, especially when they hear gun shots and they are not stupipid, they go nocturnal and/or thickets. good luck this year.

Bobby
Old 10-09-2015, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuck View Post
What do they tell you? Do you plan your hunt around them? Is it usually a mature buck making the scrape? Is it just pre rut you see this? How often do they freshen it up?

Just want to hear every ones theory as I am sure it will vary. I have noticed a scrape and rubs right along a back road 3 years in a row in almost identical spots and find it interesting.
Not going to be much variety it's a straight answer. Means a buck is marking there territory and will vist it on a cycle. Put up a cam or sit it for awhile if you want to see what's hitting it. Also ensure its a deer and new to this year.