Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-07-2015, 08:16 PM

Default Early or Late WT Rut?

i can either take off Nov. 4-17 or Nov 12-24. This is my first time chasing whiteys in november. i have a general tag and an anterless draw.

also, im guessing grunts, sneezes and doe bleats would work well for bucks, and fawn bleats/in distress for does?
Old 10-07-2015, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post
i can either take off Nov. 4-17 or Nov 12-24. This is my first time chasing whiteys in november. i have a general tag and an anterless draw.

also, im guessing grunts, sneezes and doe bleats would work well for bucks, and fawn bleats/in distress for does?

If it was me I'd take your second set off.
Old 10-07-2015, 08:28 PM

I'd take the 12 till the 24 off if I was you.
Old 10-07-2015, 08:28 PM

I would take the later dates off. Peak of WT rut is on the 21st. There will be good bucks moving at that time. It will be quick if you have a chance at one during this time so be ready.

Earlier on they are more predictable and are generally around the same areas. Later on anything can happen!

Good luck!
Old 10-07-2015, 08:39 PM

Hunting moon phase calendar stated nov 21st was best day to hunt last year. Killed my wt at 2pm, brought him in with primos can and grunt.
Old 10-07-2015, 08:43 PM

i think its unianimous!

i bought the bone collector call. does like 6 different sounds. will have to practice and try it out.

thanks.
Old 10-07-2015, 09:00 PM

12-24 hands down. But any time in nov will work.
Old 10-08-2015, 07:29 AM

12-24. Doe bleats always seem to get it done for me.
Old 10-08-2015, 09:29 AM

Default Are there lots of does in your area????

I would go with 12-24th for sure!

Get ready for some crazy excitement and your heart to be pounding out of your chest.....

Hunting the peak of the WT rut is amazing, you see deer in your area that you’ve never seen before and if you use the right tactics, you can lure them in for a fight or a sweet piece of tail!!!

This a run through of my setup during the rut....

Once I get to my spot (ground blind), sit, glass around to see if anything is watching me....

I get settled, then three short grunts, then I use the 'ol rattle bag, light at first, wait 10 min or so, then again, grunt and rattle bag...wait another 7 or 8 min....then the third time go full out, smash the hell out of the rattle bag, blow out a few grunts at the same time. I stomp my feet as hard as I can and I also have a stick next to me that I use to thrash the bushes and thump the ground........then finish with three short grunts, all lasts about 5 min or so ....it really is quite an ordeal....some of my buddies have made fun of me, kinda looks like a one man band.. ha ha but, they have all shot nice WT’s!

Look out, if there is buck in the area he will be coming to you with in about 20 min. The one I got last year stopped about 75 yards out (behind the only spruce tree on the side of the frigg’en hill) and watch for me or any movement for about 7 min, I made a soft grunt and he ran straight at me full out and stopped at about 7-10 yards and the only shot I had was a neck shot, he dropped in the spot!
Not the biggest, but an amazing hunt and experience.

Ha ha, one year I called one in for my buddy after I filled my tag. I was sitting behind him about 20 yards, did the ol’ song and dance and my buddy fell asleep. A nice buck walk in on us and stopped about 7-8 feet from him trying to figure out what he was ( snoring) so my buddy wakes up and they both scare the crap out of each other, deer runs about 50-60 yards, I grunt a couple times, stops broad side and my buddy bags his buck. The guy carries horse shoes I tell ya!

keep ready man, if he hears you he will be coming, looking for a fight,

good luck !

jt
Old 10-08-2015, 10:08 AM

The "rut" is the same year after year and is based on the amount of day light, or photosynthesis.
Old 10-08-2015, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledhead71 View Post
The "rut" is the same year after year and is based on the amount of day light, or photoperiod.
As above. Milk River Whitetail bucks don't hit peak rut the same time as High Level bucks.

Good luck this November, hunting whitetails in the rut is a ton of fun. Dress warm!
Old 10-08-2015, 10:21 AM

There's tons of does in the area, and a few bucks as well. I passed on a few bucks earlier this year because there's a cranker in there I got a glimpse of.
Old 10-08-2015, 11:18 AM

Quote:
There's tons of does in the area, and a few bucks as well. I passed on a few bucks earlier this year because there's a cranker in there I got a glimpse of.
If I knew there was a "cranker" in an area, I would choose the earlier hunt dates. On or about the 17th an established buck will be in the thick stuff tending his does. After the peak breading time he could be anywhere at anytime.

The above posters are right as the majority of large Whitetails are shot later on. That would be your "cranker" outside of his comfort zone (2 miles away) wandering around like a crazed zombie. If you are lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time it is awesome, but it really becomes a crap shoot. There is so much scent and activity around that you may not get his attention long enough to even slow him down for a shot.

Pre rut (considering the amount of does in your areas) he will be watching "his" does in anticipation. He will follow them to the edges of the open feeding areas and will also become active down wind of the major bedding areas during the days.

Scraps and rubs are true indicators in the pre rut and make hunting very exciting. Once the rut starts it just tells you that a buck was there a week or so ago and probably won't be back for a while.

Think of him as a predator stalking the does from the shadows and set your stands accordingly. It is very rewarding harvesting a buck while he still has his senses about him and the meat is much better before he runs himself down and gets all stinky.

Because there is also smaller bucks in the area you should be able to agitate him with some grunting. If he thinks a doe has come into heat and another buck is on her, he will likely show himself.

I would fill my antlerless tag in a different area if I were you. In the early season you should be able to pick one up without disturbing your good spots. Nothing smartens a buck up quicker than a gut pile in his area.
Old 10-08-2015, 01:00 PM

Quote:
The "rut" is the same year after year and is based on the amount of day light, or photosynthesis.
Not according to Charles Alsheimer who has been studying the rut along with other biologists at various universities for 17 years now. He ties it to full moon and that varies as much a a week plus. The full moon this year was late Oct much earler than last year and he is predicting an earlier rut. He has an article posted on it. He said if you have a week or so holiday this year to hunt take it Nov 1-10. Just saying..
Old 10-08-2015, 01:30 PM

I'd go as late as possible....and make as little noise as possible.
Old 10-08-2015, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzy View Post
Not according to Charles Alsheimer who has been studying the rut along with other biologists at various universities for 17 years now. He ties it to full moon and that varies as much a a week plus. The full moon this year was late Oct much earler than last year and he is predicting an earlier rut. He has an article posted on it. He said if you have a week or so holiday this year to hunt take it Nov 1-10. Just saying..
I'm going to stick with the light cycle I have never experienced an early "rut" myself...

Best of luck in the early season my friend...
Old 10-08-2015, 04:23 PM

Quote:
I agree...the intensity changes year to year but things go down right in time.

LC
Old 10-08-2015, 04:54 PM

Quote:
i think its unianimous!

i bought the bone collector call. does like 6 different sounds. will have to practice and try it out.

thanks.
ah, the dogs in the neighbourhood will love this!! good luck.
Old 10-08-2015, 05:28 PM

the anterless tag is for wmu 134, which is a long way from where i plan on shooting a buck.

i saw probably 5-6 different bucks in the same half section, along with a dozen or so does. i was going to shoot any 3x3 i could but couldnt get a shot, then a friend spooked the cranker out of the bush and he stopped and stared at me for 2 seconds before continuing on.
Old 10-08-2015, 06:06 PM

Second choice. Ill be off the same time. Good luck this November, one of my favourite times of year
Old 10-08-2015, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrow_baron View Post
Second choice. Ill be off the same time. Good luck this November, one of my favourite times of year
Me too. I also have my late season antlered moose. November is going to be great this year.
Old 10-08-2015, 06:12 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positrac View Post
If it was me I'd take your second set off.
Yep

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-08-2015, 06:43 PM
Banned

surprised only one person has talked about rattling. RATTLE RATTLE RATTLE. Sometimes bucks will bust in before your first 20 seconds of rattling are over & be 5 yards from you caught with the antlers still in your hand has happened to me, Rattle, for me the colder it is seems it works better.
Old 10-08-2015, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlizzy View Post
I'd take the 12 till the 24 off if I was you.
I've always figured Nov. 11, Remembrance day, was a good one for Whitetails in rut.

Grizz
Old 10-08-2015, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
I've always figured Nov. 11, Remembrance day, was a good one for Whitetails in rut.

Grizz
I've shot more bucks on Remembrance Day than any other date.
Old 10-08-2015, 09:33 PM

Quote:

Grizz
The 2 biggest Whitetail bucks i've killed were on Remembrance day, with the full moon at the end of October.
Old 10-08-2015, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post
If I knew there was a "cranker" in an area, I would choose the earlier hunt dates. On or about the 17th an established buck will be in the thick stuff tending his does. After the peak breading time he could be anywhere at anytime.

The above posters are right as the majority of large Whitetails are shot later on. That would be your "cranker" outside of his comfort zone (2 miles away) wandering around like a crazed zombie. If you are lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time it is awesome, but it really becomes a crap shoot. There is so much scent and activity around that you may not get his attention long enough to even slow him down for a shot.

Pre rut (considering the amount of does in your areas) he will be watching "his" does in anticipation. He will follow them to the edges of the open feeding areas and will also become active down wind of the major bedding areas during the days.

Scraps and rubs are true indicators in the pre rut and make hunting very exciting. Once the rut starts it just tells you that a buck was there a week or so ago and probably won't be back for a while.

Think of him as a predator stalking the does from the shadows and set your stands accordingly. It is very rewarding harvesting a buck while he still has his senses about him and the meat is much better before he runs himself down and gets all stinky.

Because there is also smaller bucks in the area you should be able to agitate him with some grunting. If he thinks a doe has come into heat and another buck is on her, he will likely show himself.

I would fill my antlerless tag in a different area if I were you. In the early season you should be able to pick one up without disturbing your good spots. Nothing smartens a buck up quicker than a gut pile in his area.
Good information!!
Old 10-08-2015, 10:56 PM

Quote:

Grizz
Shot on Remembrance Day with a 303 British.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 10-09-2015, 12:09 AM

Late season in November. No doubt. I use the original tinks 69 and place it in several places around me (wind conditions), (latex gloves) and set there all day. I have had bucks come in a snort-en and blowing snot out there nose coming in and I've thought they were going to mow me over, but the secret is to use at the right time during the rut and remove it when you leave. I've gotten lazy and hiked back to the comfort of a warm pick up truck in late November and gone back to my tree stand/blind and found the tinks scents broken off from the tree limb. GGGGGrrrrr. Primos can call of doe in estrus eliminates a lot of movements and I've had good results with that too. Antlers are good but they require too much movement and then you have to put them down quietly and try to get a shot off. Good luck.

Bobby
Old 10-09-2015, 10:17 AM

i know you guys say you have shot most of your bucks on Nov. 11 but i would bet that stat is a little skewed due to the fact that its a holiday?