Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-08-2015, 02:06 PM

Default Question about camo

Question about camo: as far as I know, animals don't see in color. So why is it so important to much the camo to the surrounding? Does it really matter if it is darker or lighter pattern? As long as you stay still without a motion that animals can usually see - you should be pretty much invisible to the birds, for example.

Please do not abuse me with your answers, I am pretty new to it. When I went to cabellas I saw so many different camo patterns and they all looked good to me...
Old 10-08-2015, 02:37 PM
Banned

It's not about what it looks like to you, it's about what the pattern looks like to the animals, birds have different vision than animals as far as I know.

Most camo is design to hide from other hunters more so than hide from animals, Sitka camo is one pattern that is specifically designed towards fooling animals. Supposedly color has no baring, it's the pattern that matters most.
Old 10-08-2015, 02:48 PM

The importance of trying to best match the surrounding has little to due with color and everything to due with shades. Like you said if something doesn't see in color it see's in shades of black, white, grey so to speak. If something like a jacket looks very similar to the surroundings to us color wise, then the SHADES will be very similar and to them ( animals ) it will appear the same. When this happens there is nothing that looks out of place and breaks your human outline up. This is my opinion anyway. Take it for what it is.
Old 10-08-2015, 02:49 PM

Obviously camo is a personal choice, but I prefer more open patterns like these, a lot of camo is too tightly colored and becomes simply a solid colored blob at relatively short distances.

Old 10-08-2015, 02:53 PM

Default ASAT Camo

http://www.amazon.com/ASAT-Vanish-Sy.../dp/B00K0EDA9E

This is what I use when I predator, crow, or migratory bird hunt. I have this patters as well as a white winter pattern. The nice thing is you can just put it over top of your regular clothes and you dont have to buy a ton of different camo coats and pants etc for changing weather. It works better than anything I have seen. Some of the bowhunting guys may chime in and support this.

Now if I am rifle hunting big game I dont wear camo. I even keep a blaze orange toque or ball cap with me. Scent and noise control are more important with these critters than stopping them from seeing you.
Old 10-08-2015, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_Wagon View Post
Obviously camo is a personal choice, but I prefer more open patterns like these, a lot of camo is too tightly colored and becomes simply a solid colored blob at relatively short distances.

Hey, that's me
Old 10-08-2015, 03:10 PM

I'm very new too, so this comes with a newcomer's perspective. My thought is that camo clothing is to hunters as expensive educational toys are to parents - both are multi-billion dollar markets aimed at the pockets of people 'wanting to do it right' and who, as a result, are rich targets.

My own unqualified thinking on this is that the colour/pattern isn't as much an issue as much as breaking up your outline is. I also suspect that how you appear statically isn't as important as how detectable you are dynamically. Put another way - motion is much easier to see and harder to disguise. I also suspect that scent is the larger give-away than visual appearance.

I probably just earned myself a beatdown here, but honestly I think the camo thing is mostly a gigantic boondoggle and can't help but laugh when I see guys in scent-block camo at the range or in line at Sobeys. Who are you hiding from??
Old 10-08-2015, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLB View Post
Hey, that's me
Awesome

This is me:
Old 10-08-2015, 03:30 PM

This is me
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Trees-Forest-Winter-02.jpg (136.3 KB, 261 views)
Old 10-08-2015, 03:44 PM

Smile Time before camo

Birds can see colour just fine, so we'd wear tan and browns, coveralls if you could find them.

Big game don't see colour, that's why deer hunters used to wear red or orange.

Dogs only see black and white.

They all see you when you move!!!

Don't smoke!
Old 10-08-2015, 04:08 PM

Old 10-08-2015, 04:40 PM

Ungulates do see in colour, just not the same colours we do. They do not have red colour receptors in their eyes which is why orange or red are the popular safety colours for hunters. Gore, kuiu and a number of other more modern patterns are designed specifically for the colours that ungulates can see (Blues & yellows)

The only 2 things I hunt that I am 100% anal about camouflage with is Waterfowl & Turkeys. From first hand experience I know that being camouflaged and having my face covered with a mask or paint makes a massive difference.

I'll also generally wear camo while hunting big game because well designed camo patterns help break up the human form, but I don't think it is as important as it is with birds. As long as you wear earthly colours, are still, and pay attention to the wind direction you should be ok for the most part. It is never going to hurt to be wearing camouflage, but I wouldn't sweat breaking the bank thinking you'll never get close to a big game critter without it.
Old 10-08-2015, 05:24 PM

Thank you guys for all the info here, makes a lot of cense...
Old 10-08-2015, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_Wagon View Post

The blob syndrome is especially true with the prevelant dark coloured camp....
Old 10-08-2015, 06:48 PM

Even animals that can't see colors as we can see them, still see different shades, and they do see contrast. If you look at black and white photographs, you will see that the clothes that you wear can still help you blend into the surroundings.
Old 10-08-2015, 06:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergerboy View Post
This is me
You are skinnier than I thought.
Old 10-08-2015, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Even animals that can't see colors as we can see them, still see different shades, and they do see contrast. If you look at black and white photographs, you will see that the clothes that you wear can still help you blend into the surroundings.
Very true! I also agree with the guys on the more open, lighter colored camo. The one thing I will say on camo is this... the animals themselves don't use camo and they are typically much more difficult to see than even the best camo'd hunters. Every thing see's movement more than color, keep your movements minimal and deliberate. Another thing I learned from not seeing animals until it is too late, a face is the most recognisable part of any critter. A deer with only its head stuffed behind a tree is far harder to see in the forest than one with its body obscured and its head showing. I have often confused the heck out of a deer by simply hiding my face behind a small tree, even though the rest of me showed.

For rifle hunting I think just dressing in neutral colors and a nicely chosen plaid jackshirt is about as good as it gets. Worry more about getting clothes that are quiet and suited to the amount of activity you plan on doing.
Old 10-08-2015, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
You are skinnier than I thought.
It all starts with a proper diet Kurt.
Old 10-08-2015, 08:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergerboy View Post
It all starts with a proper diet Kurt.
Rock and Roll diet, water and sunshine
Old 10-09-2015, 07:23 AM

I own a Ton of different camo, but I had an awesome hunt last week wearing a light blue Oklahoma City Barons t shirt and Cinch jeans, lol.

Went out after work and thought my camo was in the truck, it wasn't.
Deer didn't seem to mind.
i had a good chuckle about that considering all the dough I've dished out over the years.
Don't tell my wife!
Old 10-09-2015, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy honker View Post
I own a Ton of different camo, but I had an awesome hunt last week wearing a light blue Oklahoma City Barons t shirt and Cinch jeans, lol.

i had a good chuckle about that considering all the dough I've dished out over the years.
Don't tell my wife!
hilarious, happens to us all
But i believe that blue is the first color a deers eye picks up, also they do not have UV filters like we do so any clothes or detergents that use UV brighteners are a disadvantage.... but as long as you have the wind and you break up your outline then you should be good, DONT BUY NOISEY CAMO is my only advice, lots of guys go and buy the first camo they see at canadian tire but forget that when your walking i can hear your legs rubbing together and hear every branch that touches your arm. once you get into it your old lady will eventually make you buy your own closet that you can hang all your fancy camo in the garage
Old 10-09-2015, 11:13 AM

UV shine is a very good point. I check everything for UV.
Canadian tire actually sells an 18”black light with the correct BLB bulb for checking UV for $40. Product #52-0131-4.
Trust me, most people will be shocked at what they see glowing on their clothes/backpack when shining that light on their gear in a dark room.

I spot brush UV-killer on glowing patches or dunk the whole article of clothing in a big pot of water/UV-killer. Do not wash your clothes with regular detergent that contains UV brighteners.
Old 10-09-2015, 12:33 PM

Cool

My camo is not used for the animal's benefit. It is to hide me from other hunters when I choose. Make me stand out in town before and after hunting trips and make it easier to find my hunting gear in the clothes basket at 5 AM when I'm still half asleep. This is most important since I use scent blocker so it is very hard to find my clothes by smell.
Old 10-09-2015, 12:37 PM

When game hunting I will have a Carhartts chore jacket on not camo , sometimes even a red plaid jacket .
Movement and wind is far more important to me than what I am wearing ,
Cat
Old 10-11-2015, 12:15 AM

The biggest and baddest hunters where camo no matter what they're hunting. (Sarcasm)
Old 10-11-2015, 12:42 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB View Post
Question about camo: as far as I know, animals don't see in color. So why is it so important to much the camo to the surrounding? Does it really matter if it is darker or lighter pattern? As long as you stay still without a motion that animals can usually see - you should be pretty much invisible to the birds, for example.

Please do not abuse me with your answers, I am pretty new to it. When I went to cabellas I saw so many different camo patterns and they all looked good to me...
this is what I use under armour ridge reaper

Ridge reaper patern uses coincidental disruption technology and an innovative "no background" color algorithm to block your prey's ability to see complete forms. check out this short video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FXX1rtk5l8&app=desktop
Old 10-11-2015, 07:39 AM

I have come to like the camo pattern just like the plaid lumber jack coats for everyday use......just like it plain and simple...

Now for hunting I never wear my hunting clothes anywhere but in the field. Even at -20 I will change out of the clothes I drove out in and into my hunting garb. My hunting stuff is always stored in scent free bags.

I feel movement, wind and scent are more important. I will wear an orange or red hat in the more traveled areas only because other hunters can see me without having to scope me; GAWD I HATE THAT. .

A buddy has worn both the tighter pattern and the larger patterns when we have been out. I find from my eye, the bigger and open pattern blend better.

From my eye the close or small pattern camo at 50+ yards, you look like a big dark blob.

IMHO.....good luck.

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 10-11-2015, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy honker View Post

Don't tell my wife!
Every moose I've killed, I was wearing my red Taiga ( you Vancouverites know the brand) pullover fleece and light olive convertible hiking pants. Maybe I looked like another moose, with the dark top and light legs
Old 10-11-2015, 09:08 AM

X2 for ASAT

Here is a good read from a while back

http://www.petersenshunting.com/deer...ht-whitetails/
Old 10-11-2015, 10:17 AM

Default Camo???

I grew up hunting in Manitoba where when I started hunting you were required to wear white outerwear and we all wore white coveralls. Eventually the law changed to a blaze orange requirement and I found a pair of blaze orange camo coveralls. I have worn these for hunting with the rifle for the past 30 years, the last 18 of which have been in Alberta. I do wear camo with the bow but I like the blaze orange camo pattern for rifle hunting. It makes me feel safer from other hunters and I have never found the animals care in the least.

I try to ensure none of my outerwear is washed in UV brightening detergents. I am a fan of Sport-wash by Sno-Seal and use it on all of my hunting clothes and I also spray them with Atsko U-V killer.

As has been previously said, scent and movement are the most important things to watch out for.

I have had deer come within 25' and closer while I was standing or sitting in the open, with my outline broken up by bush/trees behind me and until I moved they didn't see me. This has happened with white outerwear in the early fall when there was no snow as well as with the blaze orange.