Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-08-2015, 10:03 PM

Default Ghost blind

Wondering if anyone has experience with a ghost blind? Thinking about picking one up for next year. Kind of expensive but the mirror ideal is pretty sweet for diverse areas.
Old 10-09-2015, 08:40 AM

I have had one for a couple of years and love it but there are limitations.

Pros.
  • Excellent adaptability as they adopt the local colours and textures.
  • Easy to set up.
  • Additional top sections allow for increasing coverage on the deer side to cover movement or drawing.
  • allows set up in places that a traditional ground blind would stand out.

Cons
  • Gives you about 120 of cover so you have to plan for what happens should a deer decide to flank you or come from behind.
  • without the manufactures carry case, it is a pain to transport and protect. So plan on getting the case.
  • you have to carefully think through when you will draw your bow as it does not have a top. Coordinate the gaps between the sheets to make your shooting area and add the additional top sections to cover the deer side.

I really like using the ghost blind when the leaves are coming off the trees and cover becomes sparse. The ghost blind allows you to set up where a traditional blind would stick out like a sore thumb and not be usable due to lack of coverage. Just be aware of being flanked by the deer. I often bring a small camo cloth sheet to cover a secondary trail to so I don't stand out. For rifle it would be great as well, even better than a bow as you have that stand off distance. You could set it up at the end of a field with cover behind and disappear.
Old 10-09-2015, 09:43 AM

Cool I appreciate the detailed response. I could see it being good for a rifle. Although I would like to get into bow hunting next year as well.