Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-09-2015, 08:48 AM
Banned

Default Moose/Elk Calling Question

From time to time I have read different threads or posts in regards to people helping or participating in another hunters hunt. Things like pushing bush, or even just photographing a hunt have often come under fire as illegally participating in a hunt. I have also read a lot of threads or posts where one person does the calling to bring game in for another hunter. So I guess my question is whether it is deemed ok for one person to call in Moose or Elk for another hunter? Personally, I see nothing wrong with it, esp. since my Moose calling hasn't resulted in one call back, but it does seem contrary to regs.
Old 10-09-2015, 09:01 AM

The way I look at it...may or may not be correct but....If you are an eligible Hunter with a tag in your pocket...why wouldn't you be able to? For instance I have had moose come check me out when rattling for deer and I have had deer come check me out while moose calling.

Oh and don't ask don't tell

LC
Old 10-09-2015, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
The way I look at it...may or may not be correct but....If you are an eligible Hunter with a tag in your pocket...why wouldn't you be able to? For instance I have had moose come check me out when rattling for deer and I have had deer come check me out while moose calling.

Oh and don't ask don't tell

LC
So to be clear if you have a whitetail tag you deem that sufficient to call moose when hunting with a partner that has a tag and claim you are hunting whitetail and this is a technique that has worked if questioned by a game warden?

The interpretation of the law would be actively participating in the hunt which means you must have a guide licence or a hunting licence for the game in which you are assisting. Whether that means calling, glassing or pushing bush.

I personally don't agree with it for a few reasons.
Example 1 you and friend draw moose tags and set up a remote camp together and he helps call in a moose for you which you shoot, now under the letter of the law you cannot return the favor.

Example 2 you and a couple buddies head out to push bush and your buddy connects now he must sit in the truck while you two push bush?

I'm with Lefty ...dont ask don't tell.
Old 10-09-2015, 09:16 AM

you guys think too much, just go out, bring friends, family and enjoy !!!
Old 10-09-2015, 09:17 AM

I am walking through the bush hunting deer...a moose ran out by chance to my buddy and he shot it...lucky him!

LC
Old 10-09-2015, 09:56 AM

Quote:
I am walking through the bush hunting deer...a moose ran out by chance to my buddy and he shot it...lucky him!

LC
Indeed but you better be car full packing a birch bark call haha
Old 10-09-2015, 10:06 AM

Yes everyone is supposed to have a tag if they're involved in the hunt .. But that's what F and W is after, then they're not focusing on big enough issues.
Old 10-09-2015, 12:57 PM

Personally I think they should have partner licenses for elk.

LC
Old 10-09-2015, 01:09 PM

I have yet to call in a game warden while calling for moose, elk or deer. If I did I'd probably change spots cuz it's obviously not where the animals are. Had one show up once at camp where we had about five deer hanging. In the three hours he was checking us out he also never once asked who did the calling for who.

Who cares, as long as the one who has the tag is the one that shoots.
Old 10-09-2015, 01:18 PM
Banned

Just a thought about calling wildlife , you may think you are yodelling in an elk or a moose, and you may well to your surprise end up calling in a hungry Grizzy bear , or a black bear

You are at the bottom of good chain if this occurs ,

As for F&W officers being concerned about unlicensed persons calling wild life ?

Unless the person doing the calling has INTENTION of killing any wildlife that may be summoned by the rantings of some tag-a-long to a licensed hunter?
The CO's don't a care.
Old 10-09-2015, 01:30 PM

I go calling moose and elk all the time with no tag, it's fun and good practice.
Old 10-09-2015, 03:44 PM

I just looked through the wildlife act and the regs and couldn't find the section/subsection that I've seen somebody paste before.
My feelings are that if it wasn't posted (?) directly in the annual regs, it's probably a piece that they keep in the Act/their back pocket to add on charges to people that deserve having the book thrown at them.
I'd be blown away if they charged somebody with using a mouth diaphram to assist their buddy who is the shooter and has a valid tag.
Old 10-09-2015, 07:26 PM

1(1)(o) “hunt” means, subject to subsection (6), with reference to a subject animal,
(i) shoot at, harass or worry,
(ii) chase, pursue, follow after or on the trail of, search for, flush, stalk or lie in wait for,
(iii) capture or wilfully injure or kill,
(iv) attempt to capture, injure or kill, or
(v) assist another person to hunt in a manner specified in subclause (i), (ii), (iii) or (iv) while that other person is so hunting;

I think this is it, it's illegal.
Old 10-09-2015, 08:52 PM

Ah ok, that's just the definition of hunt and the important part is
(p) "license" means a valid and subsisting license issued under section 13(1) authorizing hunting....

So you can't technically perform any of the definitions in (o) without a license. While calling isn't explicitly stated, they could make it stick under 'search for' or 'lie in wait'
Old 10-09-2015, 10:51 PM

I also know of folks who go out and call elk in the pitch black dark...is that "hunting" or having interactions with wildlife?

LC
Old 10-09-2015, 11:29 PM

Quote:
I also know of folks who go out and call elk in the pitch black dark...is that "hunting" or having interactions with wildlife?

LC

I bet if you have a license and it's the scouting season you'll be ok... try it in the NPs or find an overzealous CO and it might be considered harassing wildlife lol
Old 10-10-2015, 08:41 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by st99 View Post
you guys think too much, just go out, bring friends, family and enjoy !!!

You can have a friend, loved one whatever call, rattle etc a animal in for you.
Lots of fun too

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-10-2015, 10:22 AM

Quote:

LC
Hmm, I do it for moose and elk. To locate elk for the morning hunt. And I cow call for moose to draw them into the general area. I don't think it's illegal.
Old 10-10-2015, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berta View Post
Hmm, I do it for moose and elk. To locate elk for the morning hunt. And I cow call for moose to draw them into the general area. I don't think it's illegal.
If someone looked at the definition the wrong way.....

LC