Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-04-2022, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganderblaster View Post
I hunted with a guy that was so obsessed with social media it seemed he totally lost all interest in hunting. We could limit out on snows and his comment would be “that’s a lot of work for no bands”. I came to realize the whole purpose of his hunting was for posts. All for about 1500 followers lol.
I also hunt with a guy who has over 15k followers, he is good on the gram but hunting is always first for him and social media is just a way for him to share his good times.
Lots of guys like this. I swear some would not hunt if not for the back slaps they get. It's a man thing, mine is bigger than yours.

Thomas Sowell
Old 01-04-2022, 02:43 PM

Loved the meat eater show. Got on the email list and so far very mixed between some good hunting/fishing content and blatant money grabbing product shilling.
Not sure how to balance it out, finding I'm just deleting the emails more and more before reading. Sigh, I guess it's the way of the social media world, make $ full stop.
Old 01-04-2022, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
If a coyote tastes like it smells - I would rather go vegan.....well, almost.
Rinella likely had an itchy azz from worms for weeks afterward.

PS: I like Rinella.
Old 01-04-2022, 02:56 PM

Another one of Joes buddies, Peter Attia, was on recently and hes talking about this new Accuracy International rifle he just picked up. 300 Norma Mag, you could drop an elk at 1000 yards with that he says. Definitely not helping the cause. Later they talk about bow hunting and the dude talks about how he missed a deer due to the guide not having a rangefinder with angle compensation. "So I said to the guide, hold my rangefinder from now on" I guess holding your own RF is too much.

But hey, on the other hand I bet sitka, pse, kifaru sales have really taken off in the last few years.
Old 01-04-2022, 03:08 PM

Cameron Hanes is selling a boom box on his website.....The Keep Hammering DB2.
I'll hand it to him, he must have a loyal following if a celebrity bowhunter can sell a boom box.

Maybe in the future he'll have the Keep Hammering reverse mortgage!
Old 01-04-2022, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pekan View Post
Cameron Hanes is selling a boom box on his website.....The Keep Hammering DB2.
I'll hand it to him, he must have a loyal following if a celebrity bowhunter can sell a boom box.

Maybe in the future he'll have the Keep Hammering reverse mortgage!
Yeah but you can probably run a marathon with it like he does lol. Everyday.
Old 01-04-2022, 03:20 PM

Social media specifically Youtube and other video sites can have a big influence on peoples actions. Its can be a real motivator to see some average joe blow out there hunting successfully and laying out how to do it step by step. Algorithms keep people going down the rabbit holes.

We've all heard the stories. "Last night I went online to find out how to cook a chicken and today I woke up to 10 chickens in the backyard and $1000 worth of cool farm equipment bought through an Amazon affiliate." LOL

Hard to blame social media specifically but in a world where animals were already under pressure from development and hunter numbers any additional pressure due to widespread promotion of the activity is not going to help maintain opportunities.
Old 01-04-2022, 03:35 PM

IMO social media is ruining everything, so no surprise there.

Also, isn't the general numbers of hunters continually getting less each year? Thats how i have always heard it.
Old 01-04-2022, 03:38 PM

I believe predators and unregulated hunting have done more to hurt game numbers than what social media ever will.
Old 01-04-2022, 03:44 PM

I like the meat eater show and I also listen to the podcast, usually in the tractor. I like the podcast when they have an interesting guest to talk to, but it’s not as good anymore when it’s just the Meateater crew, they like the sound of their own voices too much. Matt makes some good points but does come off as an angry old man at times. I think social media does more harm than good and not just for hunting.
Old 01-04-2022, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positrac View Post
Come on….truth be told I bet deep down you still like burning donuts. Who doesn’t?
True..Busted....i literally bot new tires 6 days ago....😅😅😅😅
Old 01-04-2022, 03:48 PM

Truth is right before us, we visit a outdoor site which content of sharing hunting stories and pictures is nearly dead already. Damage is already done.

Covid changed a lot, this too will fade and we will be a dying group again..
Old 01-04-2022, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.C. Gusto View Post

Also, isn't the general numbers of hunters continually getting less each year? Thats how i have always heard it.
This is off the AEP website:
Total resident hunters:
2016 = 127,020
2017 = 122,760
2018 = 122,085
2019 = 119,664
2020 = 151,724

Looks like things were trending down before covid showed up. That's cause for some optimism. Maybe I'll hold off on selling all my hunting gear and taking up pickleball.
Old 01-04-2022, 03:56 PM

I don’t know too many people, but I don’t know a single person who started hunting because of hunting shows. In fact, I don’t know any people who aren’t hunting who watch hunting shows, aside from meat eater. I don’t even know many hunters aside from a few who watch hunting shows. The only one I ever watched myself was meat eater in its entirety. I watched a bit of this and that, but never a full episode of anything else (maybe Randy’s elk hunting, not sure). Some short tips videos and whatnot.

I am going to go as far as to say that over 90% of hunting shows is garbage that is hard to process even for a hunting guy. Why would someone who never hunted and has no interest watch the rubbish. If I have zero interest in baseball, I never watch it. Why would I?

I like writing about my hunting “adventures” here because I like doing it for myself, maybe to reflect later, maybe someone can chime in with an advice, maybe someone can learn something, or just because. Also, quite a few older fellas enjoy reading it, or so they say. Like Smoky Buck, I like to chat about it and whatnot too.

Other than that, I would never post a photo on facebook or the like. Why would I? Don’t need a pat on the back or find out that some of the people I know are complete nuts by maybe going bonkers after seeing a pic of a harvested animal, lol. Happened to my cousin: a few people went complete batpoop crazy, lol. I also don’t use facebook and haven’t since at least 2008 (maybe 2004?).

Most of it is probably people who hunt watch the rubbish and get outraged or riled up. Doubt anyone else really cares, aside from a few nutjobs, perhaps.

I do agree with those that think facebook and the like are bad for humanity and the environment overall.
Old 01-04-2022, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledhead71 View Post
Truth is right before us, we visit a outdoor site which content of sharing hunting stories and pictures is nearly dead already. Damage is already done.

Covid changed a lot, this too will fade and we will be a dying group again..
It does draw a giggle reading about how horrible social media is by guys with many thousands of posts on a social media/networking forum.
Old 01-04-2022, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatlandliver View Post
It does draw a giggle reading about how horrible social media is by guys with many thousands of posts on a social media/networking forum.
I think it has more to do with the content of the posts more than the number.
Cat
Old 01-04-2022, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I think it has more to do with the content of the posts more than the number.
Cat
I think it has more to do with guys posting on a forum critiquing social media regardless of the number of posts.

Kinda like complaining about global warming on your cell phone from the plane.
Old 01-04-2022, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatlandliver View Post
I think it has more to do with guys posting on a forum critiquing social media regardless of the number of posts.

Kinda like complaining about global warming on your cell phone from the plane.
Like I stated in post #2, people are wrecking everything, it is what we do best, regardless.
Cat
Old 01-04-2022, 05:21 PM

I don't think social media is the problem.
When I graduated high school there were about 24 million people in Canada
Now there are more than 38 million.
If even a small percentage of the delta want to start hunting that means a lot more people trying to find a place to hunt in a country that is still the same size.
You only have to look at the area around Calgary or Edmonton... the city now sprawls all over the prairie, thousands of acres of what used to be good hunting land is now subdivisions or acreages where folks want to have a horse and the country life... No hunting allowed.
As for Rinella - I like his show. Sure they're hustling something but you've gotta give the guy credit. He took his passion and managed to get someone to pay him to pursue it. In general terms he seems pretty genuine and actually seems to "hunt" rather than making the 1000 yd shot - which makes for some amazingly cool TV but almost certainly inspires members of the general hunting population to make stupid decisions.
Old 01-04-2022, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.C. Gusto View Post

I also agree that social media is the downfall on our society in every aspect. However, the hunter numbers are declining and our voice is being silenced by people who don't understand or care about hunting. These people are the ones making the laws and banning the harvest of all the cute looking critters without understanding of conservation.
As far as i'm concerned, Steven Rinella is a good spokesperson for the hunting community. (Far far better then Uncle Ted) Hes well spoken, smart, and seems to be humble. I think he is trying to help educate the people who have no idea, by using these platforms. (of course making money while doing so) Just my opinion but i think hes fighting the good fight, social media just happens to be where you can reach the masses in 2022.

I think ill go download that episode and give it a listen.
Old 01-04-2022, 06:01 PM

I believe he's correct. and hunting shows have done just as much damage, they mark trinkity ****. They promote THINGS
Cell phone trail cams
Long range "hunting" rifle and bow
Magnum everything
Camo everything
Super light everything
Ozonics

The stuff people think they need to go hunting is ridiculous. The only thing they really need they is time in the bush, everyone is so worried about all the other junk, they dont get out and learn anything themselves.

I dont think the issue is that socoal media gets more people in to hunting, I dont even think there are too many hunters. Its the tactics and the reward they promote that is the problem. The reward should be time in the bush.

I guided for white tail and mule Deer years ago and could never understand why a guy who tagged out on the first day would change his flight pack up and be gone that night.
I like antlers too but I love to HUNT

There is only 2 hunting podcasts that I can stomach, they are both traditional hunting podcasts. Im being pushed more and more towards trad hunting. And the trad community one of the best.
My 2c
Old 01-04-2022, 06:38 PM

Maybe it creates over crowding and problems for him, personally the guy sounded a bit like a child that has to share his stuff. I’ve heard old guys in Alberta complaining about how you need a tag for mule deer or moose now and how they should be able to get a license every year. Times change that’s life I suppose.

I also think this idea of being a hunting influencer is pretty overdone. It’s a small space with a small fan base compared to actual social media influencers. I don’t think there’s a very large group of people becoming influencers like he’s suggesting.

Theres also no other positive press for hunting, even conservation groups largely hide in the shadows. Social media and hunting shows can suck. They also can be the only outspoken pro hunting groups.

As for the traditional hunter junk, whatever. Every one of us uses at least one new piece of kit that isn’t strictly needed to harvest game. As with anything else, who cares if it’s not how you hunt. Got hunt your own way and have fun and everyone else can do the same
Old 01-04-2022, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmitty27 View Post
I believe he's correct. and hunting shows have done just as much damage, they mark trinkity ****. They promote THINGS
Cell phone trail cams
Magnum everything
Camo everything
Super light everything
Ozonics

The stuff people think they need to go hunting is ridiculous. The only thing they really need they is time in the bush, everyone is so worried about all the other junk, they dont get out and learn anything themselves.

I dont think the issue is that socoal media gets more people in to hunting, I dont even think there are too many hunters. Its the tactics and the reward they promote that is the problem. The reward should be time in the bush.

I guided for white tail and mule Deer years ago and could never understand why a guy who tagged out on the first day would change his flight pack up and be gone that night.

There is only 2 hunting podcasts that I can stomach, they are both traditional hunting podcasts. Im being pushed more and more towards trad hunting. And the trad community one of the best.
My 2c
2x.. You forgot the Ihunter app. Let’s mark where we saw the game!
Old 01-04-2022, 07:14 PM

I like rinella, true his show has changed over the years. I deleted insta and fb from my phone last month. Find I pick up my phone way less now. It’s nice.
Old 01-04-2022, 08:42 PM

The majority of hunting shows hurt hunting. The way these guys act when they shoot something is cringe worthy. Act like you've been there before. The over-the-top celebrations add nothing to sport. I can't imagine what a viewer who doesn't hunt must think about some of these performances.
Old 01-04-2022, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapperdodge View Post
The majority of hunting shows hurt hunting. The way these guys act when they shoot something is cringe worthy. Act like you've been there before. The over-the-top celebrations add nothing to sport. I can't imagine what a viewer who doesn't hunt must think about some of these performances.
Most people have no idea what goes on in a hunt. The only thing they know is what they happened to have seen on TV. You are right it hurts the image of hunters and can turn people off. My wife has never been on a deer hunt with me. She sat and watched a show with me years ago, as the boys whooped carried on over the dead deer the look on her face.... I had to assure her the majority of hunters had a lot more respect for the life they had just taken than these clowns. I rarely watch any hunting anymore, the only guy I will watch is Rinella.

Thomas Sowell
Old 01-04-2022, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtShooter View Post
I totally get it, they are brand ambassadors or sponsored athletes but in the few years I've followed a few of the Joe Rogan n friends they seem to only hunt a couple species. Like once John Dudley switched to PSE and got Joe n friends on PSE all of a sudden PSE was the best even though Hoyt was the best before.

Cam hunts ranched or guided animals period.

Joe seems to only hunt elk and axis deer on lanai.

Jocko is new to hunting and has only taken an elk as far as I know with John Dudley's help.

At least people like Steve Rinella, Remi Warren, Randy Newberg hunt most species, don't seem to take 4 bulls per year and accept going home empty handed. I remember one podcast Joe even said he doesn't like failure so he does hunts with high probability. Probably after hunting Alaska with Rinella he decided getting rained on for a week straight sucked lol. John Dudley shoots a lot of elk but also shoots a lot of whitetails and snags an antelope too.

Rogans a big mouth putz. Been hunting what? Less than 10 years? But blabs on like he's an African PH. Comes across as a complete newb on every hunt I've seen him on then gets on his podcast and talks like he's been doing it for 50 years. Would never kill an animal if he wasn't guided, not that he's alone in that department, so right off the bat he gets close to zero respect from me.

He's no better or worse than any other internet "influencer" I guess and really that's all he is.
Old 01-04-2022, 11:14 PM

Quote:

Nailed it. There's probably 3 - 4 hunting shows worth actually watching. Mind you thats 2 - 3 more than the fishing side.
Old 01-05-2022, 08:07 AM

Quote:
I agree. Another that is over the top after the kill is Cody Robins. I like his shows but his and Kelsey’s orgasmic endings are a little over the top.
Old 01-05-2022, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmitty27 View Post
Cell phone trail cams
Magnum everything
Camo everything
Super light everything
Ozonics

My 2c

What are the two podcasts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk