Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-08-2022, 09:35 PM

Default Official Oilers news thread

A place to respectfully discuss all the after season news and trade rumours for the Oilers .

Last edited by jungleboy; 06-08-2022 at 09:55 PM.
Old 06-08-2022, 10:15 PM
Banned

Well done. I suspect that there will be a lot of interest in trades, acquisitions, resigning, etc in the offseason. Signing Kane would be nice but can the Oilers afford him. I saw Holland on the news tonight stating that finding a number 1 goalie wasn’t likely so it sounds like Skinner will be a regular next year. Smith....who knows? He wants to resign Kulak as well.
Old 06-09-2022, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Well done. I suspect that there will be a lot of interest in trades, acquisitions, resigning, etc in the offseason. Signing Kane would be nice but can the Oilers afford him. I saw Holland on the news tonight stating that finding a number 1 goalie wasn’t likely so it sounds like Skinner will be a regular next year. Smith....who knows? He wants to resign Kulak as well.
In my opinion Holland is not only a smart hockey guy but he knows how to manage the Edmonton Oilers fan base as well. Guaranteed the old fox has a lot more options then he lets on but unlike so many Oilers GMs in the past he’s not going to make a move just to appease the fan base.
I think he goes by the philosophy under promise and over deliver. Look at what he’s done in his short time here after inheriting a gigantic mess from Chiarelli.
When he came over people were saying his downside was he sells the future to win now and that’s why Detroit was where it was. He may have done that in Detroit I don’t know, but he seems very cautious about jeopardizing the future with rentals and calculated in Edmonton.

Time will tell but going by results it looks to be about the best GM the Oilers have had since cigar man Sather. Just the fact he didn’t run to give everyone a raise like the Oilers did last time they went this far is a big bonus lol. Horcoff scoring ten goals a year making more then most in the top six in the NHL just wasn’t sustainable lol.
Old 06-09-2022, 08:26 PM

"I'm grateful to have had the opportunity to play with such a committed, hardworking and loyal group of men," Kane wrote. "The Edmonton Oilers are a first class organization with such great staff from top to bottom and I thank them for giving me the opportunity to play for such a historic franchise. To the fans of Edmonton I thank you for treating my family and I with such kindness and respect."

Sounds like a decision has been made and Kane isn't coming back. Unless it's typical to tweet out thanks to the fans, teamates, and management when you're just gonna see them all in a few months...
Old 06-09-2022, 08:54 PM

Maybe he just cares that much!
Old 06-10-2022, 12:25 PM

Get rid of Nugent Hopkins and Nurse, get better hockey players.
Old 06-10-2022, 12:29 PM

Koskinen gone, Russel likeLy retire, pjarvi trade, Kane?? Not sure how oilers will address goalie situation. Most important position to address.
Old 06-10-2022, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmtada View Post
Koskinen gone, Russel likeLy retire, pjarvi trade, Kane?? Not sure how oilers will address goalie situation. Most important position to address.
Makes almost no sense to trade pool party. He is making less then foegele and now would be the time to lock him up 5-7 years for cheap. They can play hardball if he goes to arbitration he isn’t going to get a lot if I understand things right and he is RFA. Hos trade value goes up after he is under contract as well. He is snake bit around the net but he does a lot of things right.
He is a good player but surprised more Flames fans aren’t rubbing it in tkchuk was picked two spots after him.
Old 06-10-2022, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimrod View Post
Get rid of Nugent Hopkins and Nurse, get better hockey players.

Can't get rid of Nugent Hopkins for one.

Nurse comment too hilarious to respond
Old 06-10-2022, 03:09 PM

Sign Kane. Trade for a goalie and defender.

Trade some of the weaker D and forwards and play the moneyball game and build back better.

The million dollar question is can Edmonton afford a strong full team versus one amazing line.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 06-10-2022, 04:34 PM

I’m no oilers fan but the one thing I can tell you looking at some of their contracts I need to talk to Darnell nurses agent about negotiating raises for me at work. I have no idea what made them think that number and term was a good idea, he’s maybe a 5-6 million a year player at best, that one contract alone will haunt them for years unless he somehow drastically improves. Everyone is always harping about the goalie but ever since chris pronger left they put out one of the worst defensive corps in the league, that needs to be addressed before goaltending because not sure if you’ve paid attention but the moment a goalie leaves Edmonton they typically look a lot better elsewhere, probably has something to do with the crew in front. As far as their other players up for a new contract if they do decide to sign Kane there better be some way out of it without penalty or I’d not look at more than 1-2 years tops, the man is too much of a risk to try and lock down long term. They’ve already got their back against the wall with the nurse contract one more that could easily go south would signal a rebuild immediately and mcdavid and draisaitl would want out.
Old 06-10-2022, 05:15 PM

I’d start with trading Nurse. Way way too much money. He’s always out of position and takes needless penalties. I like his ice time though. Get some tough stay at home defencemen. I like him, but there is no way he is worth that kind of money.
Pool party and Yamamoto if they lock them up for 2.5-3 each that would be alright, if it’s more id look hard at moving them.
Biggest change we need is defence. Keep Kulak and Bouchard (although he is soft) and move Nurse and Barrie if you can.
Kassian, time to go. Id like to switch out 3 of our bottom 6
Old 06-10-2022, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.C. Gusto View Post
I’d start with trading Nurse.

You guys need to look at teams contract info before posting these ideas. Cant trade Nurse.
Old 06-10-2022, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.C. Gusto View Post
I’d start with trading Nurse. Way way too much money. He’s always out of position and takes needless penalties. Get some tough stay at home defencemen. I like him, but there is no way he is worth that kind of money.
For forgot to mention Nurse doesn’t know when to make good line changes either!
Old 06-11-2022, 12:41 PM

If the Oil could move out Barrie and pool party or something for Pastrnack from the bruins that would be something else. Sounds like he may want to
Move on as they are in rebuild mode. That guy would probably score 60-70 goals a season on Mcdavids wing.🤯. Pasta has wheels as well if I remember right. Guy can grind too. Kane had amazing hands but he wasn’t exactly flying out there. Kind of a shoot it in power forward. For this contract Kane was insane value. At 7-8 million people are saying Kane wants I think the oil could do better. Pasta is under 7million for one more year I think? Under $6.7 mil Pasta is

Last edited by ganderblaster; 06-11-2022 at 12:55 PM.
Old 06-27-2022, 03:22 PM

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/leaders

Some pretty decent stats for not making it to the finals.
Me thinks Kane is gonna be expensive, not sure if the oilers will be able to swing it
Old 06-27-2022, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post

Me thinks Kane is gonna be expensive, not sure if the oilers will be able to swing it

Hopefully not. Spend half the coin and chase Mason Marchment instead. Great coming out year this past season. Big, great shot, and tough like his old man. Spread the talent around instead of blowing it all on the top 6.

Tampa Bay and Colorado 3rd and 4th lines looked pretty solid to me.
Old 06-29-2022, 06:01 PM

Sounding like pool party and the oil
Might break up again
Old 06-29-2022, 06:40 PM

I'm gonna really miss watching him lick the snot out of his nose.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 06-29-2022, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Underneath his crooked helmet!
Old 06-29-2022, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Maybe Calgary will get him and you won't have too!
Old 06-30-2022, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post

Some of whether or not the Oil can afford it comes down to the contract ruling sometime later this month with the Sharks. If it is ruled the Sharks were not able to legally terminate the contract then it is really a big barrel of monkeys. Obviously Kane won't go back there, nor would the Sharks want him.

That leaves trading his current existing contract. I am sure there will be some suitor that will take advantage of the situation to trade the Sharks for the contract with some sweetner, like retained salary, or something like that. One rumour going around was Puli to the Sharks for Kane's contract with some retained salary.

Will be interesting to see what happens in the next few weeks.
Sit back
Pour yourself a tea

Watch us "sportsmen" attack each other and destroy ourselves from within.

From road hunters vs "real hunters" to bowhunters vs rifle hunters, long bows and recurves vs compound user to bow vs crossbow to white hunters vs Native hunters etc etc etc

Enjoy the easy ride, anti hunters. Strange to me why we seem to be doing your job for you.

Excuse me while I go puke.
Old 06-30-2022, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey Oatey View Post
One rumour going around was Puli to the Sharks for Kane's contract with some retained salary.
Kane is only 30, has 3 years left on a $7M per contract, was the top goal scorer in the playoffs, was almost a point per game player in the regular season, and has averaged 25 goals per season over the last 4 seasons. I seriously doubt the Sharks are retaining anything and it will likely take more than Jesse.
Old 06-30-2022, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
Kane is only 30, has 3 years left on a $7M per contract, was the top goal scorer in the playoffs, was almost a point per game player in the regular season, and has averaged 25 goals per season over the last 4 seasons. I seriously doubt the Sharks are retaining anything and it will likely take more than Jesse.
Except almost every single team he has been on they want him gone after 2 or so years for off ice problems. The man can play though, of that there is no doubt.
Oilers obviously should have drafted Tachuck who went two spots lower in The draft instead of pool party.
Old 06-30-2022, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganderblaster View Post
Except almost every single team he has been on they want him gone after 2 or so years for off ice problems. The man can play though, of that there is no doubt.
Correct. It only takes two teams though, and apparently there is already one out there that wants him. You don't think there is another GM out there amongst the 30 teams that is feeling the heat and willing to take a chance, Philly, Buffalo, NJ, maybe a team like NY thinks he'd put them over the top and would give it a go. That being said, I believe Kane has a 3 team NTC though, if Edmonton isn't on the list, could be a moot point. That could also affect the price, but really, a discount on the top playoff scorer when it's already at $7M? don't think so. It's less cash than that too, that's just his cap hit.
Old 06-30-2022, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
Correct. It only takes two teams though, and apparently there is already one out there that wants him. You don't think there is another GM out there amongst the 30 teams that is feeling the heat and willing to take a chance, Philly, Buffalo, NJ, maybe a team like NY thinks he'd put them over the top and would give it a go. That being said, I believe Kane has a 3 team NTC though, if Edmonton isn't on the list, could be a moot point. That could also affect the price, but really, a discount on the top playoff scorer when it's already at $7M? don't think so. It's less cash than that too, that's just his cap hit.
Like I said this is all speculation until the arbiter rules on whether the Sharks were correct in voiding the contract. At the end of the day Kane holds most of the cards with NTC conditions and if awarded UFA holds all the cards on where he ends up.
Sit back
Pour yourself a tea

Watch us "sportsmen" attack each other and destroy ourselves from within.

From road hunters vs "real hunters" to bowhunters vs rifle hunters, long bows and recurves vs compound user to bow vs crossbow to white hunters vs Native hunters etc etc etc

Enjoy the easy ride, anti hunters. Strange to me why we seem to be doing your job for you.

Excuse me while I go puke.
Old 07-01-2022, 08:41 AM

Sounds like Smith will be going on LTIR for the remainder of his contract.
Old 07-01-2022, 07:33 PM
Banned

So, Pool Party wants out from the Oilers
Old 07-01-2022, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyBoBandy View Post
So, Pool Party wants out from the Oilers
Excellent. Big guy, that needs to use his body. No loss for oilers. Goodbye.
Oilers need a goalie. No way oilers third, and fourth lines can beat avalanche, and Tampa bay third , fourth lines.
Old 07-07-2022, 09:06 PM

Default Oilers pick draft spot 32

Reid Schaefer
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin