Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-22-2022, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muskegnmud View Post
……..And now we have Trochu one of the mods, whose overwhelming obsession and hatred of the Oilers, causing him to derail this thread….. but I guess that’s ok
Look it’s a hockey thread. Give it a break. Mods are fans too. I’m sure Trochu will take his licks soon enough…after all he cheers for the flames.

Be patient.

BW
Old 09-22-2022, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
Be honest with me now, McDavid's got a career ending injury, you're starting a new league cause the NHL disbanded, you have the first pick to start your new team and you're picking......Draisaitl?
Depends on the position you're picking for of course. If you're starting with a first line center, you're obviously going elite. Be a toss up between Dri or McKinnon. Both about same age (Leon a bit younger), hitting their prime. Both are good leaders. One is 4 million cheaper....Assuming the league has a salary cap?
What do you suppose Leon's contract would have been worth if he signed this summer?
Old 09-22-2022, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
What do you suppose Leon's contract would have been worth if he signed this summer?
Well, certainly more than he's currently earning. That being said, I don't think he's top two in the league, not even top five if we're being honest. If you're curious, that would be, in no particular order, McDavid, MacKinnon, Mathews, Kucherov, and Makar. It's an undeniable fact that his production significantly drops off when he isn't playing with McDavid. However, Kassian wasn't putting up 100+ points playing with McDavid, and not just anyone can, so there is obviously considerable value there.

I put Leon in the same category as Panarin/Pasternak/Kirill the Thrill/etc. I'd guess right around the $11.5-$12M mark.
Old 09-22-2022, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Well, certainly more than he's currently earning. That being said, I don't think he's top two in the league, not even top five if we're being honest. If you're curious, that would be, in no particular order, McDavid, MacKinnon, Mathews, Kucherov, and Makar. It's an undeniable fact that his production significantly drops off when he isn't playing with McDavid. However, Kassian wasn't putting up 100+ points playing with McDavid, and not just anyone can, so there is obviously considerable value there.

I put Leon in the same category as Panarin/Pasternak/Kirill the Thrill/etc. I'd guess right around the $11.5-$12M mark.
You are bang on.
Old 09-22-2022, 09:20 PM

Quote:

Bang on x 2
Old 09-23-2022, 07:24 AM

Leon needs to play with skill. So does McDavid. The Ty Rattie and Drake Caggiula experiments and others have not worked out. Both of their numbers go up when playing on the same line. Elite with elite.
Old 09-24-2022, 09:50 PM

Default Oilers Cap Strapped

https://edmontonjournal.com/sports/h...r-in-the-cards
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 09-25-2022, 07:32 AM

I’d put Nurse on waivers. His salary is way too high. No one will claim him… and if they do you have tons of room to find a capable fill in.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 09-25-2022, 10:45 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
I’d put Nurse on waivers. His salary is way too high. No one will claim him… and if they do you have tons of room to find a capable fill in.
That defeats the purpose to begin with. Nurse signed the bridge deal, if the Oilers didn't overpay him than he would have walked away for nothing. That would have not gone over well at all. What the Oilers can do is retain about 3m per season of Salary and trade him for a Bonifide top 4 defenseman, and build from there. McDavid said it best just 3 days ago " We can score as many goals as possible, but we will only be successful based off the defense". If the Oilers ever got a good defense, I would consider them Contenders
Old 09-25-2022, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FortMac View Post
That defeats the purpose to begin with. Nurse signed the bridge deal, if the Oilers didn't overpay him than he would have walked away for nothing. That would have not gone over well at all. What the Oilers can do is retain about 3m per season of Salary and trade him for a Bonifide top 4 defenseman, and build from there. McDavid said it best just 3 days ago " We can score as many goals as possible, but we will only be successful based off the defense". If the Oilers ever got a good defense, I would consider them Contenders
I don’t think they can trade Nurse.

My point was he is not the best fit for the position and cost and skill.

I think we both agree on that.
Old 09-25-2022, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Old 09-25-2022, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyedude View Post
Lol.

Then trade him. He is way over paired for his skill level.
Old 09-25-2022, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Then trade him. He is way over paired for his skill level.
Old 09-25-2022, 08:04 PM

Quote:
You are the only person in the league who feels Nurse isn’t over paid.
Old 09-25-2022, 09:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Nurse gets 9.2m a year, Evan Bouchard is ranked higher than Nurse by NHL.com and is an RFA at the end of the year.

Do the Oilers pay him North of 10m ?
Old 09-26-2022, 11:19 AM

Nurse is overpaid, no one is going to argue that. Holland overpaid by at least 1MM a year, the Jones deal and a couple others created an aritifical bubble in the price of D men, and the timing of him needing a new deal was just 100% the wrong time. I'm far from the biggest Nurse fan, but I try to be realistic and objective. He's a legit top 4 defender on any one of 30 other NHL clubs, he plays incredibly tough minutes, and he is a major part of their core leadership group. There is value there.

Saying "put him on waivers" or "trade him" is just, how shall I say it.... not smart.

First of all, legit top 4 defenders or top pairing defenders (I believe Nurse can be one half of a top pairing), do not grow on trees. You can't just go out and get one in free agency, and not for much less than you're paying Nurse now.

Second, it takes two teams to make a trade. Suggesting you can unload Nurse and his "horrible" contract, while at the same time acquiring a legit top 4 or top pairing defensemen in return without giving up some major assets is just completely unrealistic. Any time you're the team trying move a player, you're not likely gonna win the trade.

It's fine to not like the contract, I definitely don't love it, but at least be realistic about the situation. It kinda reminds me of the guys wanting to trade Draisaitl and his "horrible contract" a couple years ago...
Old 09-26-2022, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Nurse is overpaid, no one is going to argue that. Holland overpaid by at least 1MM a year, the Jones deal and a couple others created an aritifical bubble in the price of D men, and the timing of him needing a new deal was just 100% the wrong time. I'm far from the biggest Nurse fan, but I try to be realistic and objective. He's a legit top 4 defender on any one of 30 other NHL clubs, he plays incredibly tough minutes, and he is a major part of their core leadership group. There is value there.

Saying "put him on waivers" or "trade him" is just, how shall I say it.... not smart.

First of all, legit top 4 defenders or top pairing defenders (I believe Nurse can be one half of a top pairing), do not grow on trees. You can't just go out and get one in free agency, and not for much less than you're paying Nurse now.

Second, it takes two teams to make a trade. Suggesting you can unload Nurse and his "horrible" contract, while at the same time acquiring a legit top 4 or top pairing defensemen in return without giving up some major assets is just completely unrealistic. Any time you're the team trying move a player, you're not likely gonna win the trade.

It's fine to not like the contract, I definitely don't love it, but at least be realistic about the situation. It kinda reminds me of the guys wanting to trade Draisaitl and his "horrible contract" a couple years ago...
My point is we are cash strapped. If we had to do something… we could get rid of Nurse… get just as good a player for $6 MM.

So can you trade him? Likely not unless you pick up some salary which defeats the purpose.

If he was lost on waivers… as an extreme example… he’s not a superstar and is replaceable for cheaper…

It all comes down to money.

Maybe there is another team desperate for defence… but right now that is our weakest link.

Also having an overpaid person on the team does harm morale. We don’t need that hair on the team.
Old 09-26-2022, 02:27 PM

Quote:
My point is we are cash strapped. If we had to do something… we could get rid of Nurse… get just as good a player for $6 MM.

So can you trade him? Likely not unless you pick up some salary which defeats the purpose.

If he was lost on waivers… as an extreme example… he’s not a superstar and is replaceable for cheaper…

It all comes down to money.

Maybe there is another team desperate for defence… but right now that is our weakest link.

Also having an overpaid person on the team does harm morale. We don’t need that hair on the team.
He is 27 and just starting his prime years for a D man, but I expect he will grow into that contract. Is he over paid? Yes at the moment. Before his contract, I was expecting it to be right around 8. Jones signing altered that.
Sundance your flame is showing

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 09-26-2022, 02:49 PM

Quote:
He's a legit top 4 defender on any one of 30 other NHL clubs, he plays incredibly tough minutes, and he is a major part of their core leadership group.
Which team do you think he wouldn't be a top four defender on?
Old 09-26-2022, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
He is 27 and just starting his prime years for a D man, but I expect he will grow into that contract. Is he over paid? Yes at the moment. Before his contract, I was expecting it to be right around 8. Jones signing altered that.
X2.

My thoughts exactly.

He is NOT replaceable for 6MM, and if you think having Nurse locked up for the long haul as part of the core group hurts team morale, you REALLY aren't much of an Oilers fan..
Old 09-26-2022, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Which team do you think he wouldn't be a top four defender on?
Easy big fella, it's a typo.
Old 09-26-2022, 02:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
X2.

My thoughts exactly.

He is NOT replaceable for 6MM, and if you think having Nurse locked up for the long haul as part of the core group hurts team morale, you REALLY aren't much of an Oilers fan..
Him making 12m this season for the quality he provides probably hurts morale for sure
Old 09-26-2022, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FortMac View Post
Him making 12m this season for the quality he provides probably hurts morale for sure
Well if you say so.

I guess you Flames fans do have far more experience when it comes to terrible dressing room morale...
Old 09-26-2022, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Jones signing altered that.
There were a few that year, wasn't just Jones...

Zach Werenski: $9.6M x 6 years;
Jones: $9.5M x 8 years;
Nurse: $9.3M x 8 years;
Makar: $9.0M x 6 years;
Hamilton: $9.0M x 7 years;
Heiskanen: $8.45M x 8 years;
Parayko: $6.5M x 8 years;
etc.

Some of those are not great and some are.
Old 09-26-2022, 04:12 PM

Can you say "Deja Vu"????

There some fans to the south who I am sure just cut and pasted there comments from 4 years when Draisaitl signed his extension.

Same arguments...... overpaid, never live up to the contract, lazy, etc....

I think you have more to worry about with a 30 year old that just had first 100+ season and only his 2nd to crack 90 points, and he is now signed at 10.5 for the next 8 years.
Old 09-26-2022, 05:09 PM

Quote:
There were a few that year, wasn't just Jones...

Zach Werenski: $9.6M x 6 years;
Jones: $9.5M x 8 years;
Nurse: $9.3M x 8 years;
Makar: $9.0M x 6 years;
Hamilton: $9.0M x 7 years;
Heiskanen: $8.45M x 8 years;
Parayko: $6.5M x 8 years;
etc.

Some of those are not great and some are.
Yes, it was market value at the time. As soon as you don't have someone like him in your top pair, you're looking for one.
Old 09-26-2022, 05:53 PM

Quote:
I sincerely hope you are right… but as a fan I am skeptical.

You see… every other contract of this duration pays on a players current value knowing that at the tail end their AAV drops. In this instance they are paying assuming Nurse is going to have a breakout year and exceed his current AAV. No one in the league sees this happening… but we can pray it comes true.

Quote:
Darnell Nurse signed a 8 year / $74,000,000 contract with the Edmonton Oilers, including a $24,000,000 signing bonus, $74,000,000 guaranteed, and an annual average salary of $9,250,000. In 2022-23, Nurse will earn a base salary of $12,000,000, while carrying a cap hit of $9,250,000.
I know it blows some of you away… but let me say it again just so your eyes bug out.

I am firstly a Flames fan… followed closely by Oilers.

Heads up Oilers:Flames… I cheer for Flames.

Any other Oiler game I cheer for Oilers.

Woohoo.

Try it sometime.

PS

Here is a link to sort by salary…

https://www.spotrac.com/nhl/contracts/defenseman/

Right now Nurse is paid as a top 6 defenseman.

Last edited by Sundancefisher; 09-26-2022 at 06:04 PM.
Old 09-26-2022, 05:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
Can you say "Deja Vu"????

There some fans to the south who I am sure just cut and pasted there comments from 4 years when Draisaitl signed his extension.

Same arguments...... overpaid, never live up to the contract, lazy, etc....

I think you have more to worry about with a 30 year old that just had first 100+ season and only his 2nd to crack 90 points, and he is now signed at 10.5 for the next 8 years.
Yeah, In a few years, we are gonna be looking bad for sure. But around the same time we are looking bad, you will be out Draisaitl and McDavid. So it will even out
Old 09-28-2022, 07:53 PM

The boys are doing ok considering we dressed out 4th line, 3 pairing, and Bakersfield against 90% of the Flames opening night roster. 0-0 after 1st is fairly impressive.

Not sure where Sutter head was with this one. If the Flames win, so what? If they lose, what is that going to say? All its going to do is give Sutter a reason bag skate them tomorrow. Really a no win situation for the Flames and not much of a confidence builder either way.
Old 09-28-2022, 08:15 PM

It only matters if the Flames win because Bessie will send me beverage $. Instead of me sending him $. Otherwise it means nothing.

So not exactly a no-win situation.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone