Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-28-2023, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish99 View Post
this fish was a floater after released and the birds were pecking at it until it got ride of its air and went down . we have caught a few like that as well.
and one day going out we seen some birds and thought the lakers pushed bait up and the birds were getting minnows nope they were pecking on a laker and it looked like the picture

The "wounds" did look very clean not all nasty and mangy like you would think a disease would present. But who knows I am the farthest thing from a fish biologist lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-28-2023, 11:46 AM

Flesh Eating Disease !
Old 01-28-2023, 01:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertanGP View Post
That picture is from last year when 58thecat was kind enough to come out at -30*C to lead us out to that spot to overnight on our first trip to Cold Lake. Doesn't get much safer than following a local that fishes the lake a few times a week. Darwin would be proud.
OK thanks, just been reading about ice thickness from 8-10 inches, thats getting scary for trucks especially if a few trucks decide to park together.
Old 01-28-2023, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeflyer View Post
OK thanks, just been reading about ice thickness from 8-10 inches, thats getting scary for trucks especially if a few trucks decide to park together.
I agree 100%.
Old 01-28-2023, 07:24 PM

Anybody out the last few days, particularly yesterday/today? Hoping to make it out tomorrow if this wind dies down
Old 01-29-2023, 03:00 PM

I made it out this morning for a few hours... and I should have just stayed home!! Sled onto the lake, get to my spot and realize I lost my auger, propane line and strap because it came loose. Drive back two times in the dark before I find it all . Set up the tent and even brought two heaters with this cold. Neither heater would ignite.... then to top it all off my propane line busts and starts throwing propane everywhere . Ended up fishing with just 1 heater, after wasting an hour with my problems

Ice conditions first: 12 inches down my hole, all flood water is completely froze over and basically all snow is beaten down to maybe 3-4 inches. I can see driving anywhere on the lake by the end of this week. Ice was super loud and cracking all over.

Fishing: Ended up with 6 fish on the ice and lost maybe 3-4 more in 2.5 hours? Lots of bait fish bottom 3-6' then a random laker either chases or swims off. Not bad action for end of Jan+ Cold.
Old 01-29-2023, 03:28 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Dam, poop happens in the cold!
Heard a few stories of gear braking or not working.
At least you iced a few.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-29-2023, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egymcara View Post
I made it out this morning for a few hours... and I should have just stayed home!! Sled onto the lake, get to my spot and realize I lost my auger, propane line and strap because it came loose. Drive back two times in the dark before I find it all . Set up the tent and even brought two heaters with this cold. Neither heater would ignite.... then to top it all off my propane line busts and starts throwing propane everywhere . Ended up fishing with just 1 heater, after wasting an hour with my problems

Ice conditions first: 12 inches down my hole, all flood water is completely froze over and basically all snow is beaten down to maybe 3-4 inches. I can see driving anywhere on the lake by the end of this week. Ice was super loud and cracking all over.

Fishing: Ended up with 6 fish on the ice and lost maybe 3-4 more in 2.5 hours? Lots of bait fish bottom 3-6' then a random laker either chases or swims off. Not bad action for end of Jan+ Cold.
Oh man sorry to hear about your issues on the lake bin there more times than I would like to admit. Not sure what type of heaters your running but I know with my big buddy if it’s cold out it just won’t want to work. I started transporting them in a carry case or even a pillow case just to keep them snow, ice, water free if riding in your tub. Another thing is to transport them in your vehicle so there are warm when you finally put them in your tub or slay. I also alway pack the hose in my jacket or bibs to keep it from freezing and getting stiff it doesn’t take long for them to get really stiff in cold weather. Sounds like you ended up getting one fired up but those are somethings I do to keep them functional in the cold. Good luck and tight lines.
Old 01-29-2023, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtsyneil View Post
Oh man sorry to hear about your issues on the lake bin there more times than I would like to admit. Not sure what type of heaters your running but I know with my big buddy if it’s cold out it just won’t want to work. I started transporting them in a carry case or even a pillow case just to keep them snow, ice, water free if riding in your tub. Another thing is to transport them in your vehicle so there are warm when you finally put them in your tub or slay. I also alway pack the hose in my jacket or bibs to keep it from freezing and getting stiff it doesn’t take long for them to get really stiff in cold weather. Sounds like you ended up getting one fired up but those are somethings I do to keep them functional in the cold. Good luck and tight lines.
Ya both are big buddies and I forgot how finicky they can get in the cold! I'm definitely going to keep the lines warm in the future. I will not buy the canadian tire brand(woods) anymore either, piece of junk.
Old 01-29-2023, 04:28 PM

Leave my big buddy and line in the box of my truck all winter. If it won’t light, which is rare, I use a propane torch. Little flame and heat to the pilot light and it fires up no problem.
Old 01-29-2023, 05:11 PM

Crack the valve partially open slowly, light it and get it going, then slowly open the valve fully. They don’t like a hit of pressure in the line when it’s cold out for some reason. I’ve had shaking the tank help as well.
Old 01-29-2023, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertanGP View Post
Crack the valve partially open slowly, light it and get it going, then slowly open the valve fully. They don’t like a hit of pressure in the line when it’s cold out for some reason. I’ve had shaking the tank help as well.
Will try this as well!
Old 01-29-2023, 06:53 PM

I do the same as John but I just use a BBQ lighter.
Old 01-29-2023, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewie66 View Post

Crème Brûlée torch

Old 01-30-2023, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewie66 View Post
X2 this has saved me multiple times
Old 01-31-2023, 05:00 PM

You guys making ice up at cold lake yet,,,,,,got a 1 ton deisel needs to go on for the tourney in 16 days
Old 01-31-2023, 05:58 PM

Cold temps until this wk end then it’s warm but I will be out there shortly and report back what I am seeing for ice thickness.

Old 01-31-2023, 07:47 PM

Going to attempt a morning fish tomorrow, first drive out of the year. Feels odd saying that about Cold Lake but its definitely been an off year for ice conditions. I'll update when possible
Old 01-31-2023, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Cold temps until this wk end then it’s warm but I will be out there shortly and report back what I am seeing for ice thickness.

Thx
Old 02-01-2023, 11:18 AM

Made it out for a few hours this morning just to see if I could get my vehicle around. I only hit flood water in a few spots but I definitely don't feel great about driving too far out yet. Ice was 12"+ where I fished but I never stopped to drill various holes. Fishing was very very slow, I'd say 2/10 for a bite rating. I managed 3 fish in a few hours, super lazy chases and not many lakers around period. The wind was nuts out there for awhile but this is definitely the slowest I've seen fishing this winter.

Good Luck !
Old 02-01-2023, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egymcara View Post
Made it out for a few hours this morning just to see if I could get my vehicle around. I only hit flood water in a few spots but I definitely don't feel great about driving too far out yet. Ice was 12"+ where I fished but I never stopped to drill various holes. Fishing was very very slow, I'd say 2/10 for a bite rating. I managed 3 fish in a few hours, super lazy chases and not many lakers around period. The wind was nuts out there for awhile but this is definitely the slowest I've seen fishing this winter.

Good Luck !
great update . thanks! i will wait another week or two
Old 02-02-2023, 06:20 AM

-36 this morning, -6 tomorrow

Going to give it a full day tomorrow and the days after as the temps are looking promising.

Will get back to you folks on what I am seeing.

Old 02-02-2023, 11:19 AM

Hopefully this cold snap can finish freezing the flood water and make some more good ice. Last weekend we had found places with 8” again a little farther out onto the main lake
Old 02-02-2023, 08:03 PM

I'll be out in the AM washing hooks with my buddy. I suspect the bite will be horrible but we can't resist the temptation of lake trout fishing on CL. I will report back when we have the results.
Old 02-02-2023, 08:59 PM

Default Glow lures

Question for you guys....anyone using or having luck with glow tubes?
Old 02-03-2023, 06:34 AM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpk1982 View Post
Question for you guys....anyone using or having luck with glow tubes?
Yup, got them in my tackle box too.
I like to sit in an area that I got good solid marks and relatively active fish then go through my tackle to see what they want usually an hour or so.....if the bite is not happening I will move to see who wants to play but sometimes something so simple as a glow tube just is enough to crank them up.
Also size sometimes is all you gotta change too and that’s is why I sit for a bit just to see what I can do to get them turned on.
If you have not got glow tunes buy a few of different sizes, won’t hurt and it will give you something to do......or if you want the bite to explode try eating a sammich

Old 02-03-2023, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish99 View Post
this fish was a floater after released and the birds were pecking at it until it got ride of its air and went down . we have caught a few like that as well.
and one day going out we seen some birds and thought the lakers pushed bait up and the birds were getting minnows nope they were pecking on a laker and it looked like the picture
That is not at all what you're seeing in that picture.
While what you're saying does happen, almost every time a fish floats long enough that the gulls get at it, it is guaranteed to not survive.
Sometimes they'll go down if they're merely stunned and not bloated. But if they're floating belly up on the surface and bloated, they can no longer burp themselves . Their demise at that point is almost certain.

Writing off this problem is not what anyone should do.
What you are seeing in that picture is the mark left behind after the parasite has dropped off.
They appear to infect in the early spring and burst out of the skin in the late fall. The survival rate of the fish is unknown.
That fish, while still feeding, does not look healthy at all.

I have dozens of pictures from several specimens, but they are not mine to share. Most much worse than that.
Any infected ones that I have caught had no pictures taken.
Old 02-03-2023, 11:32 AM

Just got back from a few hours of fishing on CL with my buddy. Bite is still slow but we did manage 6 lake trout in a short time. Ice conditions are great though, very little snow and no flood water where we went. Off to chase some walleye tomorrow!

Good Luck out there
Old 02-03-2023, 12:51 PM

Yup, 12 plus inches of ice, so far hit no flood water, lakers are liking the spoon today.
Steep drop off 50 fow to 110fow in about 40 yards, I am sitting mid self in 90 fow and they are all over the water columns just chasing the spoon like dogs after a bone!
Trucks are wondering out to about 1km off the provincial park now too.
Seems this cold snap did wonders.

Old 02-03-2023, 12:53 PM