Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-19-2023, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram crazy View Post
They should ban walking into wildlife habit as well as there is a lack of noise!!
Might as well add horses to the list
Old 05-19-2023, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkslayer132 View Post
While we’re at it might as well ban horses too as they are quiet and can get way back where others can not walk to. Just have to shake your head sometimes.
yes didn't read to the end
Old 05-20-2023, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonical View Post

I think we should ban stupidity...
We should ban banning things...

Quote:
Originally Posted by colvert View Post

Those E-bikes are even more harmful due to the lack of noise.
Are you serious ? That's one of the most ridiculous, and Liberal, things I've ever read on this site. You realize walking is even less noise..?

Old 05-21-2023, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishOutOfWater View Post
We should ban banning things...

Are you serious ? That's one of the most ridiculous, and Liberal, things I've ever read on this site. You realize walking is even less noise..?

You know what the best part is? So many people ride right by game that they don't even see because they're in a big hurry to get back deep into (good hunting). I've had this happen, 2 guys on horses and 1 guy on a bike ride right by me and a friend while sheep hunting. These guys all rode by 3 book Rams. Guess who got a Ram and who didn't!!
Old 05-21-2023, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
Ha.
Deep penetration into wildlife habitat? Like by following a road or trail?
Do you own one?
Have you ever tried to ride one?
Noisy petro powered vehicles are bad and now green powered no noise bicycles are bad?
Your only hoping that the govt will say they are motorized so you can smile and say to yourself that the govt saved us again, from those evil ebike riders.
Ban them? "Banning thing is a curse of our age. Modern day puritans want to ban things without any evidence that the activity is harmful."

Hardly green with a 40+% reliance on fossil fuels in charging them offa the grid.

Creeky....

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#I Am An Outdoorsman And I Approve This Message

#creativity can't wait for technology
Old 05-21-2023, 09:58 AM

FYI, it looks like E-bike batteries are causing a lot of fires. Not what we need with dry conditions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q74AasBOFL4

Last edited by elkhunter11; 05-21-2023 at 10:19 AM.
Old 05-21-2023, 11:19 AM

I considered the idea but I bailed and went back to my regular mountain bike.

$7,000-$10,000 is the first drawback. The second is the charge does not hold up well in the cold. The third strike is if the charge fails, those bikes are ridiculously heavy and do not lend themselves well to pedalling back to where you started.

I will stick with my Rocky Mountain 29er.
Old 05-21-2023, 12:21 PM

Default E- quad Mobility

Here is a new angle for those with physical mobility issues. Can't load pics but you can see them by Googleing Utah Trikes.com / custom shop.

Got a couple built last year and they are fantastic.
Had them built with some suspension added , 4x4 with 4 -1200 watt batteries and weighs less than 100 lbs. Top speed is about 12 mph. Range on level terrain is about 75 miles. Gets you into hunting areas and back with ease.
Old 05-21-2023, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
FYI, it looks like E-bike batteries are causing a lot of fires. Not what we need with dry conditions.

To be honest, I'm quite shocked that they're not held to ulc or CSA standards to begin with.
I know it's low voltage, but some of these new bikes are getting up to 14 amps.
Old 05-21-2023, 12:58 PM

I just purchased a cheap Princess Auto Fat tire e-bike for goose hunting.
Sole purpose is going to be for putting the trucks away and retrieving them (I usually park back on the road), and retrieving the odd flyer.
Might also be used to go scare off the odd flock when they land on the other end of the field.
Might sound lazy, but without a dog I get plenty of exercise during the hunt. And unfortunately, I'm not getting any younger.
Old 05-21-2023, 02:56 PM

Are you allowed to use them where ATVs are not allowed like Willmore
Old 05-21-2023, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBintheNorth View Post
I just purchased a cheap Princess Auto Fat tire e-bike for goose hunting.
Sole purpose is going to be for putting the trucks away and retrieving them (I usually park back on the road), and retrieving the odd flyer.
Might also be used to go scare off the odd flock when they land on the other end of the field.
Might sound lazy, but without a dog I get plenty of exercise during the hunt. And unfortunately, I'm not getting any younger.
What kind of range would you get on relatively flat, but somewhat bumpy trail you figure? Thought about something like this, or the mountain bike for extending my range a bit without resorting to ATV.

Still want to use the mountain bike, but could see the advantage of the fat tires and battery assist for soft, rough areas when loaded a bit heavy.

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!
Old 05-21-2023, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
Are you allowed to use them where ATVs are not allowed like Willmore
As I posted above it’s a bit in Limbo right now. In Parks they are using the 500 watt or less right now. I expect that within 6 months or so we’ll see a decision and I expect Parks and Lands will land on the same decision. I made sure what I bought was a class 1, (no throttle), as I believe they will be landing on class 1 non motorized, everything else motorized.
Old 05-21-2023, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactical Lever View Post
What kind of range would you get on relatively flat, but somewhat bumpy trail you figure? Thought about something like this, or the mountain bike for extending my range a bit without resorting to ATV.

Still want to use the mountain bike, but could see the advantage of the fat tires and battery assist for soft, rough areas when loaded a bit heavy.
Other than tearing around the area, I have no real experience with it. The manual says 40 km without pedal assist (throttle only) on flat ground, and 100-120 km with pedal assist. Not sure what other models do, but this one you pretty well always have to get it going with pedals, and then can take over with the throttle
I've been just using throttle only on max setting and trying to go across grassy fields as much as possible, but have only put on a few kms. Battery still says full.
That's all I can tell you.
They're pretty cool though. Shockingly easier than pedaling a regular bike.
Old 05-22-2023, 08:27 AM

Quote:
To be honest, I'm quite shocked that they're not held to ulc or CSA standards to begin with.
I know it's low voltage, but some of these new bikes are getting up to 14 amps.
Volt Yukon 750 has a 17.5 a/hr battery as a standard battery and an optional 19.6 a/hr battery.
Old 05-22-2023, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
Volt Yukon 750 has a 17.5 a/hr battery as a standard battery and an optional 19.6 a/hr battery.
Sure, but a/hr rating and amp draw are not the same.

The most powerful bikes I have heard of are 1000 watt 72V.
That's 13.9 amps.
Lots of potential for things to get hot in a hurry if not sized properly.
That's why I'm surprised the safety council wasn't all over it.

Then again, stuff from China seems to be getting a lot of passes lately. Lol

Last edited by CBintheNorth; 05-22-2023 at 09:18 AM.
Old 05-22-2023, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboyz View Post
As I posted above it’s a bit in Limbo right now. In Parks they are using the 500 watt or less right now. I expect that within 6 months or so we’ll see a decision and I expect Parks and Lands will land on the same decision. I made sure what I bought was a class 1, (no throttle), as I believe they will be landing on class 1 non motorized, everything else motorized.
Personally I don't think they should be allowed in the Wilmore. No throttle or not. It's motorized and has power assist.
Old 05-22-2023, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Other than tearing around the area, I have no real experience with it. The manual says 40 km without pedal assist (throttle only) on flat ground, and 100-120 km with pedal assist. Not sure what other models do, but this one you pretty well always have to get it going with pedals, and then can take over with the throttle
I've been just using throttle only on max setting and trying to go across grassy fields as much as possible, but have only put on a few kms. Battery still says full.
That's all I can tell you.
They're pretty cool though. Shockingly easier than pedaling a regular bike.
Thanks! Any idea how fast it'll go? Didn't think you'd have to start it off by pedalling. Still use gears with the electric motor, or just bypasses the gear set?

Pureblood!
Old 05-22-2023, 02:37 PM

Looked it up, and the 26" one says 32 kmh. Seem accurate? That's the one?

Maybe not quite enough power and range for what I'd want to do...I suppose a spare battery could help.

Pureblood!
Old 05-22-2023, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Looked it up, and the 26" one says 32 kmh. Seem accurate? That's the one?

Maybe not quite enough power and range for what I'd want to do...I suppose a spare battery could help.
That's the one. You have to start pedaling, but I mean half a crank or so.
If you're on the max assist setting you'll be going faster than you want to go, sooner than you want.
But if you're in sand or similar soft stuff it'll be a full crank or 2 before it says go.
Not sure how other bikes are.
I don't mind the 350 watts as the battery will last longer and I won't be doing any really serious hauling. Just carting my butt across the field.
I know Uncle Wieners sells a 500 watt model for $1,350 I think. Don't know anything about that one, but the biggest thing I like about Princess Auto is that no sale is final.
If it craps out in a year it's going back.

If you're in Edmonton and want to give this one a try just let me know. You can take it for a spin.
Old 05-23-2023, 12:17 AM

Quote:

I have the Greenway 26" fat tire folding bike I bought a year ago. It's the same as the non folding one I saw recently for $1600? Range for a 170lb dude with a pack and a bow on soft rough ground with little assistance is 10 km I keep the range in mind and use it primarily to take me from camp to where I am going to spot and stalk or call or to take me to a blind (Including right up till the end of November).
Its so much better than a 7 km walk down a gravel road I have no permission on either side of from camp to hunting spot.
It was awesome to lug my blind and gear to my spot. I have around 200km on it now, all off road
Old 05-23-2023, 07:25 PM

Yuppers,,, lets ban everything !!!

They should ban my pedal bike because it has human power assistance...

Might as well ban trucks,,, cars,,, ohv's,,, bikes,,, bows,,, Rifles,,, optics,,, rattling horns,,, boats,,, Camo,,, sent,,, knives,,, fire,,, drones,,, hunting boots,,, golf clubs ,,, baseball bats, tents,,, sleeping bags,,, rocks and sticks since they are advantages too harvesting game...

From here on in its hands on...

Fair Game is Fair Chase...

I wounder if I can take out that Moose if I grab him by the b@!!z

Oh Boy,,, the season is off too ruff start...

No clamping down on the ear with your teeth,,, thumb in the eye and grabbing the snott too do a body roll,,, thats definitely an advantage that humans possess that is not fair in the animal kingdom...

Just saying !!!
Old 05-24-2023, 06:06 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

You wait with all these E bikes etc hitting the market and toss in people into the mix there are going to be tighter restrictions and regulations so for now enjoy the chaos.....more coming down the pipe...you watch.

The concept is great but people are going to abuse it.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 05-24-2023, 08:05 PM
Banned

if it wasn't for idiots abusing things, we wouldn't need any rules at all.
Old 05-25-2023, 01:40 AM

Quote:
That's the one. You have to start pedaling, but I mean half a crank or so.
If you're on the max assist setting you'll be going faster than you want to go, sooner than you want.
But if you're in sand or similar soft stuff it'll be a full crank or 2 before it says go.
Not sure how other bikes are.
I don't mind the 350 watts as the battery will last longer and I won't be doing any really serious hauling. Just carting my butt across the field.
I know Uncle Wieners sells a 500 watt model for $1,350 I think. Don't know anything about that one, but the biggest thing I like about Princess Auto is that no sale is final.
If it craps out in a year it's going back.

If you're in Edmonton and want to give this one a try just let me know. You can take it for a spin.
Thanks for the offer!

Yup; can't beat that Princess Auto warranty/customer treatment. Almost like they know which side their bread is buttered on! Unlike many retailers these days...

Pureblood!
Old 05-27-2023, 05:03 PM

Seems like there is some confusion on these bikes.From reading the regs they are classified as a OHV? I thought there was a less then 500w rule? Just curious what I am missing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-27-2023, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summit151 View Post
Seems like there is some confusion on these bikes.From reading the regs they are classified as a OHV? I thought there was a less then 500w rule? Just curious what I am missing

You need to go in to the traffic safety act, it’s a little confusing as you’re looking for the definition of a power assist bicycle, and it will direct you the federal vehicle safety regulation where the definition of a power assist bicycle has been repealed, that’s where it used to say 500 watts and less. A power assist bicycle is not considered a motorized vehicle. Fish and wildlife is following that 500 watts for now but will be looking for the new definition which will then become part of the TSA. The hunting regulations are just a synopsis, if you look at the wildlife act and wildlife regulation, oh definitions tie back to the TSA. An interesting thing is that a farm tractor is considered a motor vehicle in the Wildlife act so you can’t shoot from one, but in the TSA and associated refs they’re considered implements of husbandry and not a motor vehicle. That’s why they don’t need registration when driven on roads.
Old 05-29-2023, 04:04 PM

Default OHV definitions

Quote:
Originally Posted by summit151 View Post

We were out May long weekend with OHV ban. The RCMP came by and had no problem with us riding e-bikes.
Rick
Old 05-31-2023, 12:18 AM

Default Fires

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post

I believe that’s when charging them, not when being used.
Old 06-01-2023, 01:48 PM

I am surprised at the inadvertent use of motor vs engine in the legislation. A motor is generally powered by electricity and an engine by combustion. Always thought a 'motor'cycle was odd terminology.