Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-28-2023, 10:40 AM

This is a crappy and unfortunate situation, but why is it in the hunting forum? I’m betting the SOBs aren’t hunters and no hunter would loot another’s camp. At least, no hunters I know.
Old 05-28-2023, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wind drift View Post
This is a crappy and unfortunate situation, but why is it in the hunting forum? I’m betting the SOBs aren’t hunters and no hunter would loot another’s camp. At least, no hunters I know.
And where would you post it?

The fact the SOBs may or may not be "hunters" is irrelevant. It is our hard work for the past 12 plus years to build our hunting camp..

The incident has been reported to the Peace River RCMP Detachment. We now have a file number "if" any of the big ticket losses with serial numbers are recovered.

A Constable actually showed up at our relocked gate earlier today, parked his PMV there, and walked up to the buildings (about 300 yards), to investigate because none of us could be there at that time. All I have say about that is excellent service due to the somewhat remote area. Very impressed!

I know...this may surprised some...but all good.

Nothing but great follow-up and communications from the members we have been dealing with in relation to coordinating things with Red Deer Detachment in regards to the the list of items stolen(most of us are from that area), and Peace River.

As stated before...going up there in a couple a days to deal with the fire pattern thingy and the smaller stuff missed.
Old 05-28-2023, 08:13 PM

Most home insurance covers property that was temporarily removed from your home, but making a claim like that would probably just jack up your house insurance.

Lots of these looters end up getting caught as they steal so much, once that comes to light you can plan some form of retribution as it's likely Trudeau's catch and release program sure won't.
Old 05-28-2023, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wind drift View Post
Come on, just because you're a hunter doesn't make you a saint. It was a hunting camp after all .

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 05-28-2023, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbrass View Post
Sorry to hear! But they ( cops ) cannot keep a eye on everything! But you know the rest of the story!
Buddy if you think the Cops give a rats ass about theft of your personal belongings you are deluded.

They do not care.

They will not investigate.

Etc...

Been there done that with the useless RCMP of Alberta.
"Placed correctly Swift A-Frames will reliably kill big bears. So will North Forks, Nosler Partitions, Barnes TSX, Kodiaks, Woodleighs, GS soft points, Hornady Interbonds and Speer Grand Slams - and if I missed your favorite bullet -it probably will too.
It's time to go hunting and quit all this ballistic masturbation."

Phil Shoemaker
Old 05-29-2023, 06:24 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonical View Post
Buddy if you think the Cops give a rats ass about theft of your personal belongings you are deluded.

They do not care.

Etc...

Did you read the post by the OP that an officer showed up and walked in?

Oh well haters gonna hate whatever it is on any day.

Believe it or not reporting these crimes can help in the recovery of items as they start to surface being sold or traded etc for drugs/cash.

Seen it so many times.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 05-29-2023, 07:02 AM

Quote:

They do not care.

Etc...

I think the useless judges, useless legal system, and lack of jail cells that is the real problem.

Cops be it city, municipal, sherrifs or RCMP have their hands tied. One cop for every hundred criminals most of which should already be in jail but are constantly let out to reoffend. They pretty much have to be a child rapist serial killer before they put them in jail these days. The cops are not the problem. Judges and the revolving door legal system is flooding society with criminals. Criminals are protected and pretty much untouchable these days.
Old 05-29-2023, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
I think the useless judges, useless legal system, and lack of jail cells that is the real problem.

Cops be it city, municipal, sherrifs or RCMP have their hands tied. One cop for every hundred criminals most of which should already be in jail but are constantly let out to reoffend. They pretty much have to be a child rapist serial killer before they put them in jail these days. The cops are not the problem. Judges and the revolving door legal system is flooding society with criminals. Criminals are protected and pretty much untouchable these days.
^^^this

And cops are bound by needing evidence and can’t just go kicking in doors without a warrant even though they are very confident there a crime was committed

The laws make it easier to commit a crime then arrest someone for committing a crime

There is definitely officers who may not put in the effort do to frustration or just being lazy. Really it’s a job and it doesn’t matter where you work a portion of employees are lazy
Old 05-29-2023, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McCracken View Post
The incident has been reported to the Peace River RCMP Detachment. We now have a file number "if" any of the big ticket losses with serial numbers are recovered.

A Constable actually showed up at our relocked gate earlier today, parked his PMV there, and walked up to the buildings (about 300 yards), to investigate because none of us could be there at that time. All I have say about that is excellent service due to the somewhat remote area. Very impressed!
Peace River cops I dealt with were always great. Never had a “lazy” one or otherwise useless, in my personal experience. And they usually show up within a couple of minutes after a call in town and try to make their best for remote calls as well. Nothing but respect for these guys.

Sorry for your troubles Phill.
Old 05-29-2023, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noring1 View Post
Did your insurance company really tell you you can’t insure your cabin?

We’ve had multiple properties insured over the years that weren’t our primary residence and were only visited seasonally, it was never an issue
I suspect you're both referring to the exorbitant cost of insuring a "non-primary" dwelling / residence.

It can be done, but it's usually not worth the cost to the average Joe...

YMMV
Old 05-29-2023, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishOutOfWater View Post
I suspect you're both referring to the exorbitant cost of insuring a "non-primary" dwelling / residence.

It can be done, but it's usually not worth the cost to the average Joe...

YMMV
I’m not sure what you consider an exorbitant cost, but we’ve paid from as little as $1800 a year up to about $4,000 a year for different properties/contents over the years.

If the cabin burned with $20-50,000 worth of furnishings, tools, equipment inside it and you were out $100K on the low end and $400-500K for a bigger property splitting the insurance premium between 3-4 guys sounds awfully cheap no?

Depending on what was stolen even a $20K loss stings
Old 05-29-2023, 03:49 PM

The fact that the theft happened during a Fire Evacuation does not surprise me.

During the Fort McMurray Fire, one of the Wildland Fire Fighting Crews was in town doing patrols and busting down doors and taking all the BIG screen TV's. The logic was that the area was going to burn anyway so why waste all the fun stuff in the houses when the fire hits?

Trouble was that they were using one of the crew trucks to carry the loot and got caught.

No One heard about that incident. You see the Fire Fighting crews were heros on that fire.

Drewski
Old 05-29-2023, 04:37 PM

Quote:

The cop won’t investigate something like this, they will just tell you to contact your insurance company.
Old 05-29-2023, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post
The fact that the theft happened during a Fire Evacuation does not surprise me.

During the Fort McMurray Fire, one of the Wildland Fire Fighting Crews was in town doing patrols and busting down doors and taking all the BIG screen TV's. The logic was that the area was going to burn anyway so why waste all the fun stuff in the houses when the fire hits?

Trouble was that they were using one of the crew trucks to carry the loot and got caught.

No One heard about that incident. You see the Fire Fighting crews were heros on that fire.

Drewski
Funny you mention that. All of our crew think/talked about the very same scenario...really hope we are wrong about that...

As I mentioned before, they left behind a pile of beer cans/empty boxes behind, like they knew they had all the time in the world to do their deed...

Anyway, 3 of us travelling there tomorrow...
Old 05-29-2023, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger7mm View Post
The cop won’t investigate something like this, they will just tell you to contact your insurance company.
Jesus Maria...To you and other haters, this isn't a "cop bashing" thread...

We dealt with the Peace River RCMP. They investigated and have been excellent.
Old 05-29-2023, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
^^^this

And cops are bound by needing evidence and can’t just go kicking in doors without a warrant even though they are very confident there a crime was committed

The laws make it easier to commit a crime then arrest someone for committing a crime

There is definitely officers who may not put in the effort do to frustration or just being lazy. Really it’s a job and it doesn’t matter where you work a portion of employees are lazy
It's never been easier to be a lifelong career criminal than it is today.
Old 05-29-2023, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger7mm View Post
True much of the time because the cops know that they are wasting their time because the judge will simply let the criminal go about his business and chide the cop for interferring with the criminals rights.
Old 05-29-2023, 09:37 PM

Good thing he was taking off the face of the earth! Best thing ever! Nice shot!

I Think it would be! A wast of time! Sorry but the mother and child that were stabbed to death in Edmonton, It should be put on the Judge that let him out, should be up for prosecution! But we all know that will never happen!

Quote:
True much of the time because the cops know that they are wasting their time because the judge will simply let the criminal go about his business and chide the cop for interferring with the criminals rights.

Last edited by badbrass; 05-29-2023 at 09:44 PM.
Old 05-30-2023, 11:56 AM

Same thing happened to my buddies place up there. He actually found all his stuff for sale on FB marketplace in Dawson Creek BC the next day. Some of the posted pictures even showed serial numbers that he had receipts for.

The RCMP basically told him to stand down and wait for the BC Mounties to deal with it. Nothing happened. Alberta RC's said the perp had mile long rap sheet and over a dozen open warrants already out. Said they would just add one.

Its a joke.

A month later one of his buddies was found burned to death on a boat launch near Chetwynd

Good riddance. People get tired enough to make these things go missing, things will change....catch and release policing doesn't work. Catch and cook is pretty damn effective.
Old 05-30-2023, 06:44 PM

Quote:

They do not care.

Etc...

Yessir, real life experience here also!

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 05-30-2023, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Did you read the post by the OP that an officer showed up and walked in?

Oh well haters gonna hate whatever it is on any day.

Believe it or not reporting these crimes can help in the recovery of items as they start to surface being sold or traded etc for drugs/cash.

Seen it so many times.
It's a dis-service that the thin blue line resorts to time & again. Someone with a legitimate complaint about RCMP effectiveness is instantly branded "haters" So needless & inaccurate. Why not actually try to figure out why so many are disenfranchised with the force ??

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 05-31-2023, 07:03 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper1 View Post
It's a dis-service that the thin blue line resorts to time & again. Someone with a legitimate complaint about RCMP effectiveness is instantly branded "haters" So needless & inaccurate. Why not actually try to figure out why so many are disenfranchised with the force ??
Nope not going to buy it, OP said he had a police officer show up once reported, walked in and got eyes on the camp, another jumps in and says they won’t do nothing about it, yet they did.

This is a thread about thieves, low life’s, or as the OP stated SOB’s and the mess they got to clean up and rebuild with the assistance of the RCMP which got involved once reported.

That’s a good thing.

Trust me if you don’t report it then you loose 100 percent of everything but if you report it chances are the items will surface and you might get it back which is a good thing.

The sad thing is if they scum are caught they go in one door and out the other while the OP and his crew have to rebuild their camp to continue on making memories and having a great time outdoors.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 05-31-2023, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper1 View Post
Why not actually try to figure out why so many are disenfranchised with the force ??
I think it's misdirected disenfranchisment. Should be directed towards the legal system, judges, prosecutors, bail system and lack of sentencing. Problem is the public only sees the police so they blame the police for our current state of affairs. Thinking if we had been policed by a provincial force for the last 25 years people would be disenfranchised by them because of the shoddy system that is supposed to back them up. People would be crying that they are useless, don't respond and complaining that we need to get rid of them and bring back the RCMP.
Old 05-31-2023, 01:42 PM

Low life SOB's is right. Man I hope they get caught and karma comes around and slams them. Pathetic how these rodents have no conscience and so easily take advantage of people and circumstances. Sickens me like all others who actually care for their fellow man.
Old 06-01-2023, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Nope not going to buy it, OP said he had a police officer show up once reported, walked in and got eyes on the camp, another jumps in and says they won’t do nothing about it, yet they did.

This is a thread about thieves, low life’s, or as the OP stated SOB’s and the mess they got to clean up and rebuild with the assistance of the RCMP which got involved once reported.

That’s a good thing.

Trust me if you don’t report it then you loose 100 percent of everything but if you report it chances are the items will surface and you might get it back which is a good thing.

The sad thing is if they scum are caught they go in one door and out the other while the OP and his crew have to rebuild their camp to continue on making memories and having a great time outdoors.
I just returned from a trip up North to have a first hand look at the loss. Without getting into all the details, as a group, it was significant. Couple of days to clean up the mess they left behind, figuring out the inventory, and so on.

We will change a few things in the future. But this episode will not bring us down. We have already started the rebuild..

As stated before, very good support from the local detachment, and the member assigned to the file. Very often, it is all about how you actually treat them. You talk/treat them as douches, well guess what, you will get the same treatment back. As it should be.

So the ones that easily get offended will whine about it. But you know what? Fill your boots! I don't really care...

And thank you for your understanding 58...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Hutchinson View Post
Low life SOB's is right. Man I hope they get caught and karma comes around and slams them. Pathetic how these rodents have no conscience and so easily take advantage of people and circumstances. Sickens me like all others who actually care for their fellow man.
Thanx and agree with you 100%. These gonads actually stole a dish soap bottle from under the one of our cupboard! Why?...hehe...

And all propane bottles that had any amount of propane left in them are gone...they left the empty ones behind..."almost laughable"...
Old 06-01-2023, 07:47 PM
Banned

get some cameras setup mate
Old 06-02-2023, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter1337 View Post
get some cameras setup mate
And some booby traps...
Old 06-02-2023, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_NK28 View Post
And some booby traps...