Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-20-2018, 03:02 PM

Default Can you drive on Elkwater?

Just wondering if anyone knows if the ice is think enough to safely drive on out at elkwater lake. Thank you!
Old 01-20-2018, 03:28 PM

Ressor last Monday was 12-14", cloudy on top but decent underneath. Saw one truck on the ice, everyone else walked. Elkwater had a LOT of snow on it then, not sure what the latest weather will have done to it.
Old 01-20-2018, 04:16 PM

Thanks Dutch. I hate trying to drag the sled through deep snow and that doesnt sound like enough ice for my comfort zone. I know alot of the snow has melted of rattlesnake, wonder if elkwater is similar.
Old 01-20-2018, 04:49 PM

Strange year in the SE, late freeze and then a snow before you could get a really good freeze. Be careful out there guys.

Thomas Sowell
Old 01-20-2018, 05:43 PM

I agree PorG, I wont drive on unless I feel the ice is perfectly safe and I have seen others driving on before me. I'm just hoping enough snow has melted off elkwater to allow me to drag my sled around on foot, which sucks if there is alot of snow.
Old 01-20-2018, 07:11 PM

When are you going out? I'm thinking of trying Ressor on Sunday.
Old 01-21-2018, 08:32 PM

Hi DP, just saw your post just now(8:30 Sunday night). Went out onto elkwater earlier today, just basically dragging my sled around on foot. tried lots of different spots without a single nibble, so you didnt miss out on much. Hope you had a better day on the ice.
Old 01-21-2018, 08:42 PM

How much ice was on Elkwater?

Thomas Sowell
Old 01-22-2018, 07:01 AM

Ressor was great. 14+ inches but top 3"-4" mostly refrozen snow melt. Several vehicles on the ice all day. Wife and I limited in under four hours, didn't keep anything less than 15" except for one poor little guy who ate the hook.
Old 01-22-2018, 07:39 AM

About 14-16 inches of ice on Elkwater. It didnt look solid enough for my own liking to drive on, so I just walked around. Glad you had a good day on Reesor DP. havent hit reesor yet this year as I often save it for when they close the reservoirs in March and cypress hills is about the only place you can fish around here.