Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

View Poll Results: Pembina fishing improving
yes 4 23.53%
no 13 76.47%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-07-2018, 02:54 PM

Default Boating Pembina River

Hey everyone I'm thinking of fishing 2 sections of the Pembina River.First trip I'm thinking of starting at the highway 621 bridge and heading downstream to Pembina provincial park.Then for the second trip launching at the Pembina provincial park and head downstream to Sangudo.Ive never been on this river any info would be greatly appreciated.Im thinking of taking my 14 foot Zodiac with a short shaft outboard and just tilt the motor up and drag it through low spots.What section would be better ANY info would be so so appreciated.
Old 07-07-2018, 09:40 PM

Both of those sections are about 35 kilometers as the crow flies. Pembina river oxbows back and forth like a snake in both sections and if you straightened that snake out into a straight line each section would be about 100 kilometers of actual river travel so you might want to pack a lunch or two. Its a slow moving river with lots of shallow water especially in summer when its low. The fishing should be decent if they are biting.
Old 07-08-2018, 12:09 PM

We went on that river with a fiberglass canoe about 38 yrs ago and dragged a hole in the bottom of the cane . It's shallow , rocky and lots of sweeps. Do yourself a favor and get a Coleman or Pelican plastic type canoe. That you don't have to worry about damaging. Estimate how long it will take you to cover the part of the river you want to do and then double it . I would not recommend a zodiac type boat on the Pembina
Old 07-08-2018, 12:47 PM

Right now Alberta Environment and Parks has a high stream flow advisory on for the Pembina River.
Old 07-08-2018, 04:35 PM

Default mini jet boat on Pembina river

Thanks so much for the info guys.Im thinking of doing those sections of the river in 5 days.Im in the market for a mini Jet Boat 12 footer with a Rotax inboard and full IT ME bottom.Im relatively new to jetboating.I had a 16 foot flat bottom jet boat with a 80hp outboard jet.Major limitations with that boat having the outboard jet leg taking a significant amount of damage on very rocky and shallow sections.Im very close to purchasing a 12 foot mini jet boat.Mayby I'll wait and take her on the Pembina River for her first voyage.As I said I'm relatively new to jetboating,you guys think the Pembina is jetboatable in a mini Jet Boat.
Old 07-08-2018, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverBandit View Post
Thanks so much for the info guys.Im thinking of doing those sections of the river in 5 days.Im in the market for a mini Jet Boat 12 footer with a Rotax inboard and full IT ME bottom.Im relatively new to jetboating.I had a 16 foot flat bottom jet boat with a 80hp outboard jet.Major limitations with that boat having the outboard jet leg taking a significant amount of damage on very rocky and shallow sections.Im very close to purchasing a 12 foot mini jet boat.Mayby I'll wait and take her on the Pembina River for her first voyage.As I said I'm relatively new to jetboating,you guys think the Pembina is jetboatable in a mini Jet Boat.
Try anything once lol let us know how it works out
Old 07-09-2018, 12:22 PM

I only have experience upstream of the Provincial Park and I have also destroyed a canoe on this section (5 years ago). There are lots and lots of rocks and boulders. We walked the canoe in more places than I want to remember (but the fishing was good)!

There is extremely limited access to the river in this section so have a good plan in case of emergency and you have to walk out. You may want to try a shorter run to begin with (from the end of RR80) and if that works, consider a longer trip.
Old 07-09-2018, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverBandit View Post
Only jetable in a rental with full insurance coverage. No way would I try that in anything but a canoe. One of the indestructible plastic ones would be my choice. Many places there isn't enough water to float a canoe so pack light so you can carry over the really shallow parts. I can tell you floating moose out in the fall DOES NOT WORK. If there is enough water then the large boulders become a real hazard.

Take a look at the flow rates on the Hydrology report on planning reports.

Last edited by Dean2; 07-09-2018 at 01:41 PM.
Old 07-09-2018, 02:14 PM

https://wateroffice.ec.gc.ca/report/...&y2Max=&y2Min=

Hydro reports for all rivers in Alberta

Kayak guide for around Entwistle.

http://www.trailpeak.com/trail-Pembi...wistle-AB-6239

Last edited by Dean2; 07-09-2018 at 02:19 PM.
Old 07-09-2018, 07:30 PM

Default Great info

Thanks so much for all the info everyone.I had no idea this river was so treacherous.Ive only ever fished it at the provincial park and up stream a bit.The difficulty of floating this river probably has a lot to do with why record fish are coming out of it.Less fishing pressure and all perhaps.
Old 07-09-2018, 08:02 PM

I wouldn't call it treacherous, it's a pretty gentle slow moving stream, there are lots of very shallow areas when the water is low. Right now there is decent water flow, but if it goes a week or two without a decent amount of rain in summer it drops quick. Last time I was on it we spent more time out of the boat dragging it over gravel bars than we did fishing.
Old 12-30-2020, 07:23 PM

Default Sangudo to Vega Ferry

I did the Pembina from Sangudo to the mouth then upstream in the Athabasca to the Vega Ferry a number of years ago with a 16X48 foot Jon with a MudBuddy motor in August. Was a great trip! We camped two nights, if I would do it again I would do three nights... 354 km. Touched bottom a few times but did not have to drag the boat.

Lots of Rocks after the Westlock Bridge!!!
Have to watch the river flow levels.
Old 12-30-2020, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QIsley View Post
I did the Pembina from Sangudo to the mouth then upstream in the Athabasca to the Vega Ferry a number of years ago with a 16X48 foot Jon with a MudBuddy motor in August. Was a great trip! We camped two nights, if I would do it again I would do three nights... 354 km. Touched bottom a few times but did not have to drag the boat.

Lots of Rocks after the Westlock Bridge!!!
Have to watch the river flow levels.
A 48' boat on the Pembina? Am I missing something?
Old 12-30-2020, 07:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotok View Post
Am I missing something?
ya, a spelling mistake
Old 07-29-2021, 11:27 PM

Is there any place to launch a mini jet on the pembina close to Drayton?

Tags
floating, pembina