Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-05-2018, 05:33 PM

Default Lund or Alumacraft

Thinking of upgrading my boat. I currently have a Lund 1625 Rebel XLSS. Want to upgrade to a full windshield and more power. What are the pros and cons of both.

Thanks
AH
Old 09-05-2018, 05:53 PM

What about Princecraft? $$$$$$$ decide or floor plan and storage or all round family adventure craft. How big, fast. Rivet or weld body? Fish, ski or both? Just something to consider on what you want. There are all kinds of boats our members have and they will give you their pro's and con's. Good luck on your new one.
Old 09-05-2018, 06:22 PM

We have a newer 1850 lund in the family and the only thing i do not like is it has the two bigger captain chairs up front. They are very ice to sit in...
But !
If you need to swivel the chair to the inside so you can watch your down rigger or something else like a skier you can not as the back side of the chair will hit the edge of the boat and will not let you even swivel 1/2 way around.

This could be a stop feature on buy this boat ,but once on the lake its to late.
Old 09-05-2018, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
We have a newer 1850 lund in the family and the only thing i do not like is it has the two bigger captain chairs up front. They are very ice to sit in...
But !
If you need to swivel the chair to the inside so you can watch your down rigger or something else like a skier you can not as the back side of the chair will hit the edge of the boat and will not let you even swivel 1/2 way around.

This could be a stop feature on buy this boat ,but once on the lake its to late.
Not sure what model you have .... I have a 1800 Lund Tyee, with the big pilots chair. Swivelling to face 90 degrees to steer and watch the downrigger is no issue. And, I should mention, I am a big guy that really needs room.

I did move the cup holder that's down by my foot - 2 screws so I don't smack my ankle when swivelling around - but other that that - that's the way I sit in the helm ...... like the boss.

Maybe try your slider it can move you a few inches forward or back of the neutral position.
Old 09-05-2018, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.H. View Post
Thinking of upgrading my boat. I currently have a Lund 1625 Rebel XLSS. Want to upgrade to a full windshield and more power. What are the pros and cons of both.

Thanks
AH
There's a few brands like Lund, Alumacraft, Crestliner and Princecraft that are going to be excellent high quality boats. 3 of these companies are owned by Brunswick Marine.

I'd give you a few things to consider ....

1) Sit it in, play with stuff, look at storage and layout .... get a feel for the boat. Look at the quality of the hinges, latches, cubby holes, canvas and other things that you wouldn't normally look at.

2) Get as much power as the boat is rated for, max HP and, if given the option go with a Honda or Yamaha engine - these things are bullet proof.

3) Check out things like the trailer weight rating, LED lights?, retractable straps, solid double bunks, etc... the quality brands will stand out from the cookie cutter cheaper boats and last longer for you.

4) Don't let anyone talk you into or out of welded versus riveted like that's a big difference - because, frankly, it's not. Quality construction matters, not method of construction as it pertains to how they joint hull sheathing.

5) Grade of Aluminium is as important as thickness - once again, a few real garbage boats boast thicker aluminium hulls yet this same brand is a proven leaker with the highest rate of customer complaints (I refrained from mentioning any brand names here for obvious reasons).

I am a Lund guy ..... but a Alumacraft, if it's better for you, is also a quality boat ..... you really can't go wrong here.
Old 09-05-2018, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
There's a few brands like Lund, Alumacraft, Crestliner and Princecraft that are going to be excellent high quality boats. 3 of these companies are owned by Brunswick Marine.

I'd give you a few things to consider ....

1) Sit it in, play with stuff, look at storage and layout .... get a feel for the boat. Look at the quality of the hinges, latches, cubby holes, canvas and other things that you wouldn't normally look at.

2) Get as much power as the boat is rated for, max HP and, if given the option go with a Honda or Yamaha engine - these things are bullet proof.

3) Check out things like the trailer weight rating, LED lights?, retractable straps, solid double bunks, etc... the quality brands will stand out from the cookie cutter cheaper boats and last longer for you.

4) Don't let anyone talk you into or out of welded versus riveted like that's a big difference - because, frankly, it's not. Quality construction matters, not method of construction as it pertains to how they joint hull sheathing.

5) Grade of Aluminium is as important as thickness - once again, a few real garbage boats boast thicker aluminium hulls yet this same brand is a proven leaker with the highest rate of customer complaints (I refrained from mentioning any brand names here for obvious reasons).

I am a Lund guy ..... but a Alumacraft, if it's better for you, is also a quality boat ..... you really can't go wrong here.

I would agree with almost all of this, well said. I have a 20’ Crestliner and couldn’t be more happy. I went to the boat show and sat in what I thought were the top 2 boats (Lund/Crestliner) at the time (2011) Crestliner had a few things I liked over Lund. Both are very nice boats. Buy as much horsepower as the boat you choose will support!