Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-05-2018, 10:31 AM

Default New prop, big difference!

I thought I would share the difference that a prop can make on the performance of your outboard. I am running a 2018 Merc Verado 200 Pro (the v6 version, not the 4 cylinder). The boat shipped with a Mercury Spitfire 4 blade 19p prop on it. Holeshot was decent, a bit more bow rise than I liked, and trim range was limited before it would ventilate. Top speed was 47 mph (gps) and rpms were around 5900. There was a big rooster tail at full trim and I knew that the prop wasn’t giving me all the motor had. Mileage at full speed, full trim was 1.7 mpg .

This past weekend I installed a Mercury Racing Bravo FS I 20p. This is a 4 blade SS prop with recontoured blades, allowing you to go up a pitch while keeping your rpms in the same zone. The difference was incredible. Holeshot was about the same, stays on step at lower rpms, less bow rise. I could now make full use of the trim range as well. Top speed was 55.4 mph (gps) with a tournament load (2 guys, all gear, full fuel tank). No more rooster tail, and mileage improved to 2.8 mpg at full speed and full trim.

Stainless props do have their downsides. They cost more and aren’t as forgiving if you hit rocks or bottom. However, if you know your bodies of water well and are looking to improve your boats performance they can make a world of difference.

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 09-05-2018, 10:56 AM

Thanks for the write up! My dad has a 60hp Merc on his Tracker, and I was thinking about replacing the prop with a stainless steel model. Mind sharing approx what you paid?
Old 09-05-2018, 12:25 PM

Really interesting difference. Thanks for the stats on this! My factory prop is a little rough around the edges anyways and I just might upgrade based on this.
Old 09-05-2018, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
Really interesting difference. Thanks for the stats on this! My factory prop is a little rough around the edges anyways and I just might upgrade based on this.
Same here. Got a chew mark or two on mine. Always wanted to try a 4 blade. Anyone know who would let ya trial run one before buying. I got a Yamaha VMAX 150 2 stroke HPDI with 18 pitch 3 blade. Thanks
Old 09-05-2018, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinelakeperch View Post
Thanks for the write up! My dad has a 60hp Merc on his Tracker, and I was thinking about replacing the prop with a stainless steel model. Mind sharing approx what you paid?

PM’d you.

Old 09-05-2018, 07:09 PM

Default New prop, big difference!

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbless View Post
Same here. Got a chew mark or two on mine. Always wanted to try a 4 blade. Anyone know who would let ya trial run one before buying. I got a Yamaha VMAX 150 2 stroke HPDI with 18 pitch 3 blade. Thanks

That probably depends on the relationship you have with your dealer, and the dealer specifically. My dealer has let me buy a prop from stock, try it, and if it was bad I could exchange it for a different one they had in stock provided it was in pristine shape. You had to pay for it before you took it too as people abused the service and destroyed props without paying.

Not all 4 blades are an improvement. On my last boat I had an aluminum 3 blade on a 2016 Merc 150 4 stroke. I had heard that 4 blades were way better for holeshot and handling so I bought the exact same prop but in the 4 blade version. Handling was terrible, cavitation was common, and it dropped 6 mph in top end speed. I lost trim range and it was just awful. I went back to a 3 blade but a SS prop in the Merc Tempest Plus 19p. Gained 4 mph more than my original 3 blade (10 more than the aluminum 4) and the boat would corner like a dream with no cavitation.

Aluminum props will flex under load, changing the blade shape and cupping. SS props don’t do that.

SS

Old 09-06-2018, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSteele View Post
No more rooster tail, and mileage improved to 2.8 mpg at full speed and full trim.
Might be a dumb question but I'm fairly new to owning a larger boat. How does one figure out there mpg boating?
Old 09-06-2018, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penner View Post
Might be a dumb question but I'm fairly new to owning a larger boat. How does one figure out there mpg boating?

My boat has the Merc SmartCraft gauges, which give you an instantaneous readout as well as the average, much like vehicles do. I wouldn’t know how to accurately calculate it aside from that either.

Old 09-07-2018, 05:42 PM

SS, thanks for the input. Will check out the options. I do like the way mine runs and performs. Maybe just a new 3 blade
Old 09-08-2018, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSteele View Post
My boat has the Merc SmartCraft gauges, which give you an instantaneous readout as well as the average, much like vehicles do. I wouldn’t know how to accurately calculate it aside from that either.
Figured so. Well even if the gauge isn't accurate, if your new prop on same motor and gauge show an mpg improvement, likely there is improvement which is good.