Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-20-2012, 10:41 AM

Roughly 10m of a water column creates 1 atm of pressure. If you suck ALL air out of the atmosphere fish would go only 10 meters lower. Doesn't happen that often...
When I was a kid we always looked at the pressure changes and found that both rise and drops were bad for walleye kind of a fish we fished for. The technique we used called for relatively stable pressure (typically lower) and some chop on the water. This plus water temperatures and time of the year and what my dad had a filling for were our guides. After a lot of years on the same huge reservoir made my dad very good at finding fish. Lunar phases we considered a witchcraft. Was very far from here though...
Old 01-20-2012, 11:11 AM

I say watch your sonar more than the weather pattern. Fish will move up and down from one day to another, this may or may not be related to pressure change or moon phase??? Put the right bait where the fish are and they will bite.
Old 01-20-2012, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outwalking View Post
I have six fish in my aquarium called Weather Loaches. When the pressure drops, they go nuts. It's really, really cool to watch.

Something's going on right now, all six have been active non-stop for two days

lol...well my curiousity got the better of me, so i googgled them. Pretty cool, a bit on the ugly side but cool none the less.

Have you ever noticed similarities with their activeness and fishing ???
Old 01-21-2012, 06:40 AM

My best perch hunt ever was in the middle of a blizard, east of elk point. Two of us probly caught 200 perch in 3 1/2 hrs. Had to weed out the little ones but sure was fun trying to pull the hook away from them and try to get the bigger ones hooked. Hmmm, much like it is this morning in Edmonton. I bet the perch are bitting good today.
Old 01-21-2012, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmag View Post
lol...well my curiousity got the better of me, so i googgled them. Pretty cool, a bit on the ugly side but cool none the less.

Have you ever noticed similarities with their activeness and fishing ???
Ya! Really good question! It would be cool to have your very own fishing 'crystal ball'! Kinda like how they say that dogs can predict tornadoes, etc.

If these loaches are any type of indicator...

I GOTTA GET ME SOME!!!

"There seems to be alot of urinating in breakfast cereal around here." - Rackman, 2010

"It is true, there are dead beat dads out there, and there are thousands of dead beat moms too, who live off the efforts of good men trying to do the right thing." -KegRiver, 2011

"You have social media to thank for turning everyone into self-righteous know-it-alls.." -random internet dude, 2015
Old 01-21-2012, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack&7 View Post
Ya! Really good question! It would be cool to have your very own fishing 'crystal ball'! Kinda like how they say that dogs can predict tornadoes, etc.

If these loaches are any type of indicator...

I GOTTA GET ME SOME!!!
and if they dont work, use them for perch bait!

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 01-21-2012, 05:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
and if they dont work, use them for perch bait!
Remember: they are loaches not roaches... for you insect or funny stuff smoking guys.

Please don't use them for bait. The loach may not survive our cold weather, but some parasite in them might.