Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-09-2010, 12:43 PM

Hey 378,

Hodgons lists 104 grains as max load for the Lapua and you using 109.5? What powder and how much to get 3000 plus on your Weatherby?
Old 07-09-2010, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatrack View Post
Hey 378,

Hodgons lists 104 grains as max load for the Lapua and you using 109.5? What powder and how much to get 3000 plus on your Weatherby?
Yes this is correct on the first statement. It is not a regular Lapua. This is a custom built Lapua Improved using a TAC 338 Stiller action and 29 inch barrel, thus the extra strength reguired to get the 300 grain SMK to go up to 3200 fps. I believe if you scroll back Rick explains all this on some of the earlier posts. The Mark V action is plenty strong but I don't know if it could go up to 3200 fps with a 300 grain SMK. (way over pressure)I wouldn't want to pull the trigger on that load using that Mark V Bee action. I've run over 2900 fps with my 378 Mark V action bee shooting .375 cal -300 grain TSX flat base and more accurately than the .338 shooting 300 grain SMK. Fatter bullets seem more consistent but not so good for long range.
Old 01-25-2012, 02:20 PM

Default 338 lapua

I know its been awhile since this was talked about but i own a 338 lapua in sako m995 sporter and absolutly love it (excuse my french)
I have taken game at 470 yds (heart shots) and do not hesitate to try long range kills.
I had the recoil pad changed to a decelarator when first purchased it and the recoil is manageable (no muzzle brake)
I plan on putting a nightforce 5.5x22 with NP1BRR reticle so as to take advantage of moa adjustments
I have only been using a 3x9 42mm swarovski and am still able to make this kind of shooting
alot of negative press has been given as to it being punishing, I beg to differ as I can bench rest this rifle all day long
It shoots sub mao groups and to do that you need to be consistent (no flinching) I reload this cartridge and have found a big varience in brass
norma is alot thicker and pressures are higher so I shoot lapua brass
also for big game hunting I shoot 210 grain bullets barnes tripple shock tipped as they have a very high BC to give better down range accuracy
I have allways shot big calibers (my next fav is 35 ackley) I maintain shoot the largest caliber that you can accurately handle and you won't be disappointed in the results.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:14 AM

The .338 Lapua is hard to beat.. But i really do love my .338 Titan.. and the .375 RUM.. Like you said.. shoot big or stay home