Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-08-2017, 08:04 AM

Default Cutbank

Headed to Cutbank on fri any new ice or fish reports thanks.
Old 02-08-2017, 07:21 PM

As of now, absolutely NO issues with access. This cold weather has helped heal the ice. ( it was really bad for a while there.... )

The ridge crossing is a little rough, but no problem at all. Just a couple bumps and a small drop but even 2 wheel drives are getting over it.

The fishing is starting to turn around! This past weekend we had all 5 species ( pike, walleye, perch, burbot and a beautiful 5 lb whitefish ) come out of the cabins.

Mid Feb to the end of March is usually really good out at Cutbank.

Old 02-09-2017, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoors forever View Post
As of now, absolutely NO issues with access. This cold weather has helped heal the ice. ( it was really bad for a while there.... )

The ridge crossing is a little rough, but no problem at all. Just a couple bumps and a small drop but even 2 wheel drives are getting over it.

The fishing is starting to turn around! This past weekend we had all 5 species ( pike, walleye, perch, burbot and a beautiful 5 lb whitefish ) come out of the cabins.

Mid Feb to the end of March is usually really good out at Cutbank.

What.... A whitefish? Nice what did you catch that on ?
Old 02-09-2017, 08:49 PM

It was a beauty of a whitefish And not caught by me, it was caught by a client in our cabins.

I think he caught it on a small wireworm, light colored, with no bait ( which I found really surprising ). I was really happy for the guy!

Old 02-10-2017, 06:57 PM

What's the report for tonight 35 Whalen?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-11-2017, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragless View Post
What.... A whitefish? Nice what did you catch that on ?
i caught whites there a few weeks back from one of the rental shacks.

theres lots of whites down there that chase the jigs and minnows around but wont hit em.

if you have a flasher and keep seeing chasers that dont hit drop down something small and they will nail it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Old 02-11-2017, 07:51 PM

Yea I don't have a flasher yet ... I'm still a young man can't afford all the toys but I've been having steady success this season in the narrows area of slave. Lots of 10lb plus pikes (one 40") and 20" plus eyes but I've been experimenting with different walleye lures as well as tip up baits / teqniques. Some times when I limit out quickly I'll put on some perch size lures with maggots but yea no action ever on that . I have a feeling once I get some electronics I'll be on a new level but it's good to learn to walk without a crutch first I suppose .
Old 02-13-2017, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeslayer22 View Post
What's the report for tonight 35 Whalen?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GOT .back sun afternoon was good weekend between 10 anglers caught about35 walters a few pike 1 perch a few burbot . pressure ridge moved we just got off in time than they were bringing wood for crossing .
Old 02-13-2017, 08:57 AM

Default Rental shacks

JUST a update on our rental shacks. They had no ladders for top bunk no rod holders ,THE 2 man shack was some kind of oilfield fiberglass thing only about 5 ft across the couple left a day and half early because of that I will not be renting off of the guy with all the light blue shacks again ,I did not do the booking so I will not say his name, but there are better renters out there ,Will be back out in a few weeks tight lines.
Old 02-15-2017, 07:03 PM

Does anyone know how the ridge is at cutbank this week with all the warm weather. I was gonna head up this weekend but not sure if I should bring the quad or snowmobile instead of driving on.
Old 02-15-2017, 08:16 PM

From what I hear they fixed the ridge all good to go
Old 02-16-2017, 08:03 AM

Default canyon creek

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallanh View Post
Does anyone know how the ridge is at cutbank this week with all the warm weather. I was gonna head up this weekend but not sure if I should bring the quad or snowmobile instead of driving on.
Quad is the way to go!! no snow for sleds
Old 02-16-2017, 08:08 AM

Yes will be bringing ours up if there's still ice on March 3rd

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 02-16-2017, 01:46 PM

i wonder if the burb bite is on?
Old 02-16-2017, 04:34 PM

What depth do most guys fish at cutbank the shacks we rented were in 28 feet of water?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 02-16-2017, 05:34 PM

Thanks for the info about the ice ridge. Much appreciated. Might have to get the quad out of the shed for Saturday. I'm thinking the burb bite should soon be getting good.some monsters in there. We've always done well at cutbank between 25- 30 feet of water.
Old 02-16-2017, 05:36 PM

We fish all the way from the 12' to out into the 32ish' (that seems to be the deepest the drop gets +/-). We have a bunch of waypoints in the little area we fish and it just depends on what the fish are wanting. Once you find the depth they are in we concentrate on that depth. The shallower holes will produce walleye but the prominent catch is ling and pike.

RJ
Old 02-16-2017, 07:51 PM

Some really decent perch coming out of Cutbank the past little while, I have seen some incredibly quality fish.

The walleye bite is very slow lately, they are just nudging the hooks, not very aggressive at all. Some really nice ones though - a guy caught a 4+ lber out of our cabins last week.

As of RIGHT NOW the ridge crossing is very good. Its ugly and a bit rough, but in a very safe spot, and easily crossed, you don't need your 4x4.

BUT.....

That lake changes by the hour sometimes. This warm weather is not good. There is a lot of water pooling in areas all over our side of the lake. Its still completely safe, obviously ( the ice does not lose its depth with only a few days of plus temps ) but I have had some clients who were a little apprehensive just cause it looks really sketchy. But I have been on and off the lake 100 times in the past week and a half and have never had an issue yet.

Fingers crossed it stays that way.........