Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-05-2014, 09:09 AM

Default Fishing upper/lower Kananaskis lakes

My son really wants to fish up there. Never fished it, and not sure what to use, which lake is more productive. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:20 AM

I usually fish upper. I've caught on fire tiger raps and buzz bombs. I've been told that lower is better but I can't say for sure.. if you fish upper, look for the point and fish between it and the hiking trail on the south side of the Lake.. good luck.. theres big bulls up there. Caught a few over 24"
Old 01-05-2014, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogwalker View Post
I usually fish upper. I've caught on fire tiger raps and buzz bombs. I've been told that lower is better but I can't say for sure.. if you fish upper, look for the point and fish between it and the hiking trail on the south side of the Lake.. good luck.. theres big bulls up there. Caught a few over 24"
Thanks for the input
Old 01-05-2014, 10:50 AM

Here are a couple I caught at Upper K recently. I just kept these two I caught several others including some huge Bull trout going over 10 pounds was a fun day. Use buzz bombs in orange and green colors also big white jig heads with a white plastic grub on the end fished off the bottom for the Bulls.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg upper K3.jpg (48.8 KB, 563 views)
Old 01-05-2014, 11:30 AM

Quick side note these fish were caught 3-4 years ago when the size regulations were min 30 cm not the new ones which are 50cm When I said I caught them recently I didn't mean yesterday but that was the last time I was up there.
Old 01-05-2014, 12:16 PM

Catching big bulls in deep water is a lot of fun through the ice. I'll be heading up there on this Friday. Hope to land a few bulls and maybe a cutty or 2..
Old 01-05-2014, 12:36 PM

Thanks for all the tips, my son is quite stoked to try it, hopefully we will have some beginners luck
Old 01-05-2014, 01:07 PM

when you guys headed up ?? I will probably head out mid week if work allows me .. was up there recently with some good success. .
Old 01-05-2014, 03:25 PM

Hopefully next weekend, though I tore some ligaments in my ankle on thursday, hopefully I will be mobile by then
Old 01-05-2014, 04:17 PM

Is there lots of floodwater on the lower lake.
Old 01-05-2014, 04:41 PM

I'm heading up tomorrow, anyone know what the snow and flood water is like on either or both.
Might just do upper, never fished it just lower.
I'll report on the snow and ice conditions and how I got skunked when I get back
Old 01-05-2014, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rena0040 View Post
I'm heading up tomorrow, anyone know what the snow and flood water is like on either or both.
Might just do upper, never fished it just lower.
I'll report on the snow and ice conditions and how I got skunked when I get back
just got back ice is good no flood water,fishing was good,found that the bulls liked a big long drop so what my buddy and i were doing was one guy fished 30 feet while the other btm in this case 70 feet of water and we would switch positions every 2 minutes,very cool seeing the fish on the flasher come in at all parts of the water column.They just didnt seem to hit a bait jigged or strummed it had to be on a drop or a slow reel upto 30 feet.good luck
Old 01-05-2014, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeb View Post
Here are a couple I caught at Upper K recently. I just kept these two I caught several others including some huge Bull trout going over 10 pounds was a fun day. Use buzz bombs in orange and green colors also big white jig heads with a white plastic grub on the end fished off the bottom for the Bulls.
Is this legal with a bait ban in place?
Old 01-05-2014, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisholm77 View Post
Is this legal with a bait ban in place?
There is nothing in the post you are referring to that indicates bait - all of those are artificial lures ........
Old 01-05-2014, 08:08 PM

I was thinking the white plastic grub on the end was referring to something similar to powerbait? Or is this something that's already attached to the jig?
Old 01-05-2014, 08:27 PM

Quote:
I was thinking the white plastic grub on the end was referring to something similar to powerbait? Or is this something that's already attached to the jig?
There are rubber grubs on the market that have absolutely nothing to do with powerbait........just rubber no scents.
Old 01-05-2014, 08:29 PM

Is it ok because it's not scented?

I'm hoping to go there and have never fished a lake with a bait ban before. I thought it basically meant nothing on your hook.
Old 01-05-2014, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Is it ok because it's not scented?

I'm hoping to go there and have never fished a lake with a bait ban before. I thought it basically meant nothing on your hook.
Read the definition in the regulations if you want to know for sure. Bait ban just means no actual bait or artificially scented baits or plastics.

Plastics like mister twister and others that are not scented are considered artificial lures.

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
https://www.youtube.com/TheFishingDoctorsAdventures
Old 01-07-2014, 10:00 AM

Hit upper yesterday, ice was solid 18 inches and only 4-6 inches of snow cover. No flood water

I was in 40-45 ft of water, couldn't find deeper and didn't really feel like dragging gear all across the lake. I was about half way to the rock point going diagonally from the boat launch.

Fished from 800-1330 caught 2, missed 2, and marked about 6 more that I couldn't entice. They were all marked and caught at 25-30 ft. Only thing they were hitting was a jigging rap in a sort of rainbow trout pattern.

Anyone know if there are whitefish in upper k, could have swore I saw one cruise under my hole about 5 feet under the ice.

I'll try to get pics up later
Old 01-07-2014, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonkop View Post
Read the definition in the regulations if you want to know for sure. Bait ban just means no actual bait or artificially scented baits or plastics.

Plastics like mister twister and others that are not scented are considered artificial lures.
Thanks. I had read the regs but wasn't sure.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:46 AM

woke up at 430 for this

got all set up

First fish of the day. I noticed the red on the jaw, did i catch my first cutthroat or is that a hybrid, looked more like a rainbow.

Second fish.

What they were after:

Overall, a beautiful day.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:50 AM

an obvious fail at my first photobucket attempt
Old 01-07-2014, 10:53 AM

Old 01-07-2014, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonkop View Post

"Chisholm77
Thanks. I had read the regs but wasn't sure. "

Read the package of the plastics before you buy. Many if not most plastics are scented or have salts added not just the powerbaits etc.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 01-07-2014, 11:09 AM

Nice pics and fish rena0040!

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 01-07-2014, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rena0040 View Post
woke up at 430 for this

got all set up

First fish of the day. I noticed the red on the jaw, did i catch my first cutthroat or is that a hybrid, looked more like a rainbow.

Second fish.

What they were after:

Overall, a beautiful day.
They both look like cutties to me, however I can't see the red slash under the jaw of the second fish. I could be wrong, nice fish anyway, good job!
Old 01-07-2014, 03:03 PM
Banned

drool
Old 02-06-2014, 12:07 AM

Great thread guys.

I used to fish Upper K a tonne before I moved to Lethbridge.

Its nice to see that some people are catching some really nice trout there now!
"I find it amazing that we, as a society, find it so easy to view the perpetrators of crime with an understanding and knowing that they are suffering from the frailties of being a human being yet we cannot seem to extend that same courtesy to the very people we ask to face, on a daily basis, the worst that mankind has to offer."
-Dave (Whiskey Wish)-
Old 02-06-2014, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JReed View Post
They both look like cutties to me, however I can't see the red slash under the jaw of the second fish. I could be wrong, nice fish anyway, good job!
A 'pure' cutthroat will most likely have
- a speckle pattern on the back and sides, increasing density from the dorsal fin to the tail.
- a bilateral red/pink slash under the jaw
- the jawline does not go past the eye
- AND (the definitive trait)...pharyngeal teeth (i.e. teeth on the tongue)

They look like cutthoats. Without looking at the tongue, it is really hard to tell.

The cutthroat pharyngeal teeth are recessive to the rainbow lack of teeth. Therefore, the lack of teeth definitely means cuttbow hybrid. The presence of teeth means that is 'pure' or it had at least 2 rainbow or cuttbow parents.
The first breeding would eliminate teeth. Now the hybrid breeds again with a cutthroat, the result would statistically be 1:3 (teeth)no teeth). The hybridization between cutthroats and rainbows can stay very hidden.