Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-11-2015, 11:35 PM

Default Fishing Waterton and Area

Hopefully I can get some guidance? I'm think about taking my girlfriend to the Waterton area and camping. I have never fished the waters in the area. She likes fishing and I'm getting her into using a fly rod. Any lakes or streams that a seasoned angler would suggest?
Old 07-12-2015, 09:10 AM

All in the area are good.. Lots of good river fishing and small lakes.. Fishing in Waterton will require a special Park Fishing License..
Old 07-12-2015, 11:53 AM

Thanks Glen appreciate the response!! Sounds like you've spent some time in the area. Any info on camping... I was thinking
Crandell Mountain and Belly River Campgrounds?
Old 07-12-2015, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csheppbr View Post
Thanks Glen appreciate the response!! Sounds like you've spent some time in the area. Any info on camping... I was thinking
Crandell Mountain and Belly River Campgrounds?
How big is your trailer? Crandell is not real friendly for any larger sized units... I've driven though both and they look fairly nice...

We were in Waterton on Friday and it was fairly warm and a storm looked like it was gonna move in... I've never fished in the Park, but have hit a fair amount of the lakes and campgrounds in the area.. I live in Pincher Creek so that helps a bit...
Old 07-12-2015, 08:23 PM

Lots of options in the area, some of the little Alpine lakes you have to hike to but are very rewarding and I can almost guarantee you will catch somthing. I recently caught over 20 in a couple hours at Twin lakes on the fly rod but it is a far hike. If you have bikes you can bike the first 9km of the 13k trail. I was at the Belly River campground yesterday, just to fish the belly river, we did not catch anything but saw some in the deep pools, it was hot out, lots of the river fish are not rising at all during the day right now too hot out. Check out the fishing regs for Waterton on there webpage, it outlines most of the fishable areas and be aware of the restrictions and different rule set for the National Park. But check out Goat Lakes, Twin Lakes, or Crypt lake if you are down a hike/fish, I would go back to the Belly River again as well. Just was not my day yesterday.

But... I went to Police Outpost Lake about 30k or so outside the park, and Caught a 20 inch Rainbow Trout so that made the day worth it!
Old 07-12-2015, 08:34 PM

Really appreciate the information you both have given me! We are tenting and I think I will try camping at Belly so I can do a couple of evenings on the river. Maybe try outpost first thing in the am, before the heat of the day. A 20" trout should make anyone's day, nice fish!!!

Tags
browntrout, fishing, flyfishing, trout, waterton