Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 12-05-2016, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4l3k View Post
we are not having a good year for martin on our line this year compared to past years

we have almost 80 boxes up and have still only gotten 1 fisher, 3 martin since Nov 1st

previous years we had seen 25+ martin 3+ fishers by this time already
What area are u in? Maybe time to shut it down for a year or 2?
Old 12-05-2016, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Uke with your excellent marten numbers again this year you obviously did not over harvest last year. Do you have much lynx on your line, even if you are not targeting them. We are over run with lynx.
Very few Lynx on my line. Get between 2 - 4 a year. Have only seen 1 track so far this year.

Picked up another 6 marten this weekend. Up to 67 now. Expect things to slow down with this cold weather for the next while.
Old 12-05-2016, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expedition View Post
Nice mitts . Did you make them ?

No. had those made from coyotes I caught about 25 years ago. They are warm but to small for me so the kid wears them. I did make the hat though. Warm but long coyote hair is always in your eyes when riding a quad/ski doo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-05-2016, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
we are in wmu 510

the area we are in this year for martin/fisher has never been trapped for at least 10+ years so we figured our numbers should be decent

alpac is heavily cutting and hauling in our normal northern martin area so we pushed 20-25 km south of where they are working into a area that we can only get into after freeze up (we havent invested in a argo yet)

we also wanted to let that norhtern area sit for a number of years because we do not want to over harvest

The only difference we see in the environment between the north and south is very little birch in the south, but still mature pine/popular mixed forest with very healthy squirrel population
Old 12-05-2016, 12:11 PM

Seems odd. I was expecting low numbers on my line with the way u guys are talking. I was happy with 13 on first check with roughly 45 boxes. All in new area as well.
Are you getting weasels?
I sure get a pile of them. Got 13 first check of them too. Not sure if that means I have good and abundant food around? I have so many weasels they are everywhere. If they were worth anything I could target them and catch a 100 a year if I wanted or more.
Old 12-05-2016, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Seems odd. I was expecting low numbers on my line with the way u guys are talking. I was happy with 13 on first check with roughly 45 boxes. All in new area as well.
Are you getting weasels?
I sure get a pile of them. Got 13 first check of them too. Not sure if that means I have good and abundant food around? I have so many weasels they are everywhere. If they were worth anything I could target them and catch a 100 a year if I wanted or more.
we pulled 3 weasels out the last check for a total of 8 or 9 so far
Old 12-05-2016, 03:01 PM

Well if your only pulling 3 weasels and nothing for marten I would say she is a dead area. I would say over harvest on the marten but I dont think that is it if its a new area and you are used to getting way more marten. Something else going on and must be at an all time low in the cycle or something.
Old 12-11-2016, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uke hunter View Post
Very few Lynx on my line. Get between 2 - 4 a year. Have only seen 1 track so far this year.

Picked up another 6 marten this weekend. Up to 67 now. Expect things to slow down with this cold weather for the next while.
Just wondering what your fisher numbers are like?
I've had two checks (9 days traps have been out)on 30 boxes and have 2 marten , 1 weasel and one weasel that became coyote food.

I did however see a few marten and fisher tracks in this new snow. Found a few pockets of rabbit so I will concentrate there for Lynx.
Old 12-11-2016, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight01 View Post
Just wondering what your fisher numbers are like?
I've had two checks (9 days traps have been out)on 30 boxes and have 2 marten , 1 weasel and one weasel that became coyote food.

I did however see a few marten and fisher tracks in this new snow. Found a few pockets of rabbit so I will concentrate there for Lynx.
Typically only get 2 - 4 fisher per year. Got 2 so far this year.
Old 12-11-2016, 05:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Lynx will be good for a couple years. I suspect they are getting to the high of their cycle in the next year or 2. Rabbit and grouse numbers seem to be high so the lynx should do well for a few years.
You know, it's funny, I did a lot of hunting in a lot of zones this year, and I thought the grouse number's were very low. Rabbits didn't seem very high either.
Good luck with the wolves. Hope everyone does well with wolves. There numbers certainly seem high all over the place. Even seeing them in a lot of the 200 wmu's.
Old 12-11-2016, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4l3k View Post
we are not having a good year for martin on our line this year compared to past years

we have almost 80 boxes up and have still only gotten 1 fisher, 3 martin since Nov 1st

previous years we had seen 25+ martin 3+ fishers by this time already
Rabbit is just on the rise in my area and grouse did very very well this year. Lots of mice too, Noticed them scurrying around when on my deer stand. So I am hoping for a high marten recruitment this year. And hoping next year will be good as well

Had 2 fisher last year would be happy with 2 this year. Sometimes I don't know what's up. Tons of squirrel , mice, grouse and rabbits are getting better. Should be more fisher and marten .??
Old 12-11-2016, 08:13 PM

Just trapping 3 miles of line now, but this is the first week with nothing in the boxes. Not even a squirrel. Been cold in northern alberta , so I'm assuming that had something to do with it. Anybody see any difference (good or bad) this past week?
Old 12-24-2016, 02:28 PM

Default Mature female marten ratio

Quote:
I see some talk of potentially overharvesting and we all want to avoid that.

What are the guys with good to great Marten areas catching as far as male to female and mature to juvenile marten?

I've caught 6 marten. 1 mature female, 1 mature male, 2 juvenile female and 2 juvenile male.

What are you guys seeing on high producing lines? My line is not a great marten line , if I catch a couple more mature females I will likely shut it down.

What is an acceptable ratio?
Old 01-02-2017, 03:42 PM

Up to 81 marten so far now. Picked up another 11 over christmas. Very few Lynx on my line. Got 1 so far this year. The most Lynx I have ever caught is 4 in a year.
Old 01-03-2017, 09:19 PM

I got another 7 todays check on 60 boxes. I have found that as soon as December hits your catch drops a ton. I always catch good numbers in November but this year was so warm I didn't get going till the end of November. Tons of cats around and they are hitting the sets good.
Canines are moving real well also. Picked off another Black wolf today and got a small pack hitting a dead moose I had found last trip out and didn't have time to set on.