Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-01-2017, 12:47 AM

Default Trout from a private pond

My brother in law and myself started a new dugout this year. Pond is 35 feet deep and currently running a solar aerator. Planted 4-6 inches in May and this is what the family landed today in 2 hours. We started with 300 rainbows in the spring. Biggest one 14". Released over 40 to see if they can overwinter. Going to smoke all of them.

My daughter who is 9 had a great time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg untitled.jpg (34.6 KB, 980 views)
Old 01-01-2017, 12:56 AM

Default Trout

Run an aerator all winter and you'll have some beauties next year.
Old 01-01-2017, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanzibar View Post
Run an aerator all winter and you'll have some beauties next year.
I hope we can get a few that are between 2-3 lbs in year 2.

The dugout has some freshwater shrimp. Will continue to feed them trout pellets. There is fellow in Westakiwin that has private pond that produce 5lb + rainbows.

These fish grow fast if they have food.
Old 01-01-2017, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishunter77 View Post
I hope we can get a few that are between 2-3 lbs in year 2.

The dugout has some freshwater shrimp. Will continue to feed them trout pellets. There is fellow in Westakiwin that has private pond that produce 5lb + rainbows.

These fish grow fast if they have food.
If you're talking about Dale, he sure does
Old 01-01-2017, 08:02 AM
Banned

My buddy has a private pond just outside of Edmonton. 33' deep and areated. he stocked it with bows 5 and 4 yrs ago. So far they seem to be remaining healthy, and are getting up to 7lbs range.
Not sure what you mean when you say you started with 300 but only released 40 to overwinter. Hopefully you will have a lot that survive for years and grow to real hogs.
Might pop down there today to see how they are doing.
Old 01-01-2017, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
My buddy has a private pond just outside of Edmonton. 33' deep and areated. he stocked it with bows 5 and 4 yrs ago. So far they seem to be remaining healthy, and are getting up to 7lbs range.
Not sure what you mean when you say you started with 300 but only released 40 to overwinter. Hopefully you will have a lot that survive for years and grow to real hogs.
Might pop down there today to see how they are doing.
Probably caught and released 40 on his latest fun fishing day.
I would stock 100 again in the spring and keep the pond going.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 01-01-2017, 08:52 AM

Ditch the solar aerator and get an electric pump if u can get power in there. You may be deep enough however if there is poor water circulation the bottom will go stagnant making for a nasty layer that fish can't inhabit. Because wind mills and solar don't kick for long periods of time on some occasions that bad layer builds up and the when your air kicks on it stirs all the water potentially killing your fish. I speak from experience. My setup is working great now though. This one is under two yrs old, and I don't feed them at all over the winter months....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-01-2017, 09:10 AM

Nice! Good to know on what aerators are best - common sense really. The beavers that took over my pond ate through the aerator hose for the windmill...
When I rebuild in a different location, I'll go for electric too.

Question to any of you stockers...
Have any of you been able to get brookies nowadays? It has been 10 years since I stocked but you could still get brookies back then. Tigers were also on the license back then but not available.
Old 01-01-2017, 09:20 AM

Buddy out here uses aerator too

he is getting these 14# plus

lets the kids and friends fish for them

couple other private trout ponds in our area with nice rainbows

Thanks for sharing

David
Old 01-01-2017, 10:08 AM

Wow whatta slugger!
Old 01-01-2017, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speckle55 View Post
Buddy out here uses aerator too

he is getting these 14# plus

lets the kids and friends fish for them

couple other private trout ponds in our area with nice rainbows

Thanks for sharing

David

That one is a beauty!!

Yes, we will restock some every year. Looking for some brook trout as well to try.

Thanks for the suggestions. We don't have any power but could rig something up for another aerator. We will see how they do.
Old 01-01-2017, 01:20 PM

The only place to get Brook Trout now is Reister Trout farm at Alliance.They have negative status for whirling disease.
Old 01-02-2017, 09:00 PM

A buddy of mine has a 30 acre pond on his property that was stocked 4 years ago with 4000 6"-8" rainbows and they are not catchable. We fish it all year and not one fish has ever been caught. We fished it 2 days ago with 3 guys that were all running different set ups / bait combinations in 5 holes each. I could watch fish on the flasher come up to my lure and then swim away. The food source in the pond is out of balance, if you drill a hole near the reeds and run the auger in the hole you will end up with hundreds of shrimp on the ice. And yes we use those as bait and still not a single fish. My buddy and his dad are into this adventure for over 20k so does anyone have some advice on how to catch these fish ?
Old 01-03-2017, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUCKAROO View Post
A buddy of mine has a 30 acre pond on his property that was stocked 4 years ago with 4000 6"-8" rainbows and they are not catchable. We fish it all year and not one fish has ever been caught. We fished it 2 days ago with 3 guys that were all running different set ups / bait combinations in 5 holes each. I could watch fish on the flasher come up to my lure and then swim away. The food source in the pond is out of balance, if you drill a hole near the reeds and run the auger in the hole you will end up with hundreds of shrimp on the ice. And yes we use those as bait and still not a single fish. My buddy and his dad are into this adventure for over 20k so does anyone have some advice on how to catch these fish ?

Start eating shrimp ?

Old 02-18-2017, 07:53 AM

Brookies available at camrose for this year

Old 02-18-2017, 08:27 AM

Default Leaches

Quote:
I had the same problem in a dugout I helped stock with a buddy. The fish gorged themselves on shrimp and nothing else. What worked for us was fly fishing with a black leach pattern. From what I was told, the trout will eat so much shrimp that the shrimp will literally start falling out of there mouthes. The trout will then eat a leach to plug the hole. Not sure how accurate that it is but as soon as we started throwing a leach pattern in and slowly stripping it back we were into fish. It blew me away how big the fish got in such a short period of time. We stocked 100 rainbows that were 6" - 8" and in a few months, some of them were over 14".
Old 02-18-2017, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Fish at night !
Old 02-19-2017, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Just net it .... you spent 20k why mess around? Seems like an exspensive sport fishing option? Is the goal to farm fish for food or grow them to sportfish.....?
Old 02-19-2017, 10:19 AM
Gone Hunting

Beauties for sure!!!!!

Are these different from farmed fish for sale in the super markets?

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand