Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-03-2017, 06:58 PM

Default 303 British

A little history lesson:

https://huntforever.org/2013/09/09/d...-with-the-303/

DOWN MEMORY LANE WITH THE .303
SEPTEMBER 9, 2013

8228-303-British-174gr-BTHPWhen the great hunting cartridges of the world are listed, the .303 British rarely makes the grade. Maybe familiarity has bred contempt; maybe the ready availability of Lee-Enfield rifles for a few bucks makes us automatically dismiss its cartridge as too plebeian for words.

The .303 is 125 years old this year, having been adopted officially by the British Army in 1888. Most authorities say it began life as a black-powder cartridge, switching to smokeless after a couple of years, but that’s not really true. Early loads did employ black powder, but only as a stopgap. The .303 was always intended for smokeless, but some early pressure problems forced the interim use of black.

Compared to many modern cartridges, which flow off designers’ desks like rain drops, the .303 underwent rigorous testing as it was developed. Officials at Enfield Lock, which was then managed by John Rigby (descendant of the John Rigby), put it through its paces in laboratories, on target ranges, and in the hands of select troops around the world. Their comments on the ammunition and the early rifles were carefully considered and incorporated.

The selected cartridge design was loaded with a 215-grain cupro-nickel round-nosed solid, with Cordite as a propellant. It left the muzzle at about 2000 feet per second. We say “about” because there were many variations tried. This was the load, ultimately known as the Mk. VI, with which the British fought the Second Anglo-Boer War.

Mk. VI ammunition was in use until 1910, when it was replaced by the Mk. VII, loaded with a 174-grain spitzer solid at 2440 fps. This remained the standard military load until the .303 was finally retired from service in the 1960s.

Not surprisingly, British riflemakers latched onto the .303 as a hunting round almost as soon as it was introduced. It was a natural for stag-stalking in Scotland, and was chambered in some of the finest double rifles ever made. It was also chambered in break-action and falling-block single shots, and a few custom bolt rifles. Military-issue Lee-Enfields and Lee-Speeds were customized or completely rebuilt by such as Holland & Holland.

By modern standards, the .303 case is somewhat archaic with its pronounced taper and heavy rim, but those perceived drawbacks are actually virtues in a cartridge used in double rifles and single-shots in hot climates. The .303 never sticks in the chamber, regardless, and you’d need an arbor press to strip the rim.

Ballistically, both the Mk. VI and Mk. VII loads were good for hunting. In the hands of a good hunter and careful shot, the 215-grain solid accounted for many elephants, taken with brain shots. Although his 7x57s and 6.5×54 Mannlichers get the attention, W.D.M. Bell took many of his elephants with the .303.

For long-range work – sniping and target matches – the .303 British need apologize to no one. In the Guards Museum in London there resides a break-action Holland & Holland rifle that was being built for a German client when war broke out in 1914. The rifle was diverted to the Irish Guards and used in the trenches as a sniper rifle for the next four years. Its exploits in the hands of various sharp-shooting NCOs is mentioned in Rudyard Kipling’s official history of the Irish Guards, the regiment in which his only son served, and was killed, in 1915.

Various English gunmakers introduced .303 cartridges that were “improvements” on the original, but not a single one gained a foothold, and most are forgotten.

The reason is simple: The .303 British can hardly be improved upon for its intended purposes – military, hunting, or target work. That statement is likely to get some argument, but the facts speak for themselves. Attempts at “improving” the .303, in Canada by gunmaker Ellwood Epps, and by various individuals in Australia, never really went anywhere. Partly this was due to the difficulty of converting military rifles, but it was also due to the fact that you wouldn’t gain enough to warrant the effort.

Hard as it may be to believe, 20 years ago, double rifles chambered for the .303 British were selling for a relative pittance, and many were rechambered and rebored to cartridges like the 9.3x74R. But, fortunately, there were thousands of .303 double rifles made, most of which were boxlocks with such names as Army & Navy or Manton & Co., and so there’s no shortage.

For a handloader, it is easy to duplicate original ballistics or create ammunition that will shoot well, and it’s a deadly cartridge for deer, bear, or – the modern form of shooting on control – feral hogs.—Terry Wieland
Old 11-03-2017, 07:22 PM

Default Rule 303

I almost want to take one out tomorrow with my daughter looking for deer. Here is my favourite but least used
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5850.jpg (44.6 KB, 128 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5851.jpg (44.6 KB, 105 views)
Old 11-03-2017, 07:23 PM

Default Rule 303

This is a good show
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XPAt2mLP_KE
Old 11-04-2017, 06:10 AM

My main rifle is in 303 Brit and I shed been know to take a factory original longrach into the field and to the range
Cat
Old 11-04-2017, 10:38 AM

The lee Enfield smle is about the only thing in existence that makes me wish I was right handed.

Colin
Old 11-04-2017, 12:43 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgvande View Post
I almost want to take one out tomorrow with my daughter looking for deer. Here is my favourite but least used
That's a real nice rifle.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-04-2017, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colroggal View Post
The lee Enfield smle is about the only thing in existence that makes me wish I was right handed.

Colin
I'm a lefty too and I tell ya you can't cycle the bolt real quick like with the ol'303.

I prefer my forestock hand to come back just grew up doing it.

Old 11-04-2017, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
That's a real nice rifle.
Thanks. I took this one out instead this morning. Still enfield design I guess.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5852.jpg (25.3 KB, 86 views)
Old 11-04-2017, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgvande View Post
Thanks. I took this one out instead this morning. Still enfield design I guess.
Another beauty.

What calibre?

Old 11-04-2017, 05:52 PM

Default #5

I try to get out at least one day a year with my #5 in November.
Old 11-04-2017, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Another beauty.

What calibre?
That rifle is a JC Lord snider in .577 snider
I do my deer hunting with black powder now as I'm not a bone hunter. So every year I use a black powder antique. Last year was a 43 Beaumont, this year so far has been a 577-450 Martini Mk3.
Old 11-05-2017, 07:08 AM

Nice rifle
Old 11-05-2017, 07:56 AM

Default excellent article

congratulations on an excellent history of the 303 Br..I have returned to the 303 after many years of using the large magnum calibers..