Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-01-2024, 07:26 AM

Default TD Visa Refund

I just received a letter from TD, that because of the accounts I have with them, the annual fee for my cashback Visa, should have been rebated for the past five years. So they are now crediting my Visa account for $675, and I will no longer be charged the annual fee for my credit card. It's nice to have a bank discover a mistake, and make good for it.
Old 05-01-2024, 07:40 AM

Sounds like they are getting ahead of a class action suit... The banks have been getting a bit of scrutiny on their fees, and 'excess profits' lately. It's nice to get your own money back. Bet they didn't pay any interest on it.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 05-01-2024, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Sounds like they are getting ahead of a class action suit... The banks have been getting a bit of scrutiny on their fees, and 'excess profits' lately. It's nice to get your own money back. Bet they didn't pay any interest on it.
Yes it's my own money, but at least I am getting it back. It's a nice change from dealing with RBC for my mother.
Old 05-01-2024, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Yes it's my own money, but at least I am getting it back. It's a nice change from dealing with RBC for my mother.
Oh, I am very glad you got your money back, don't get me wrong. But I just always wonder what's going on behind the scenes when the big banks suddenly decide to do the right thing.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 05-01-2024, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Did they pay you interest?...
Old 05-01-2024, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McCracken View Post
Did they pay you interest?...
I honestly don't know, the actual credit is for $675.60, the annual fee for the card has changed over the five years, and I can't recall what it was for every year.
Old 05-01-2024, 09:44 AM

I hope the best for you but I would be careful about responding. There are a lot of sophisticated scams out there trying to get your info. I would call the bank just to be sure it is all legitimate.

Good luck

Burglar: Aren't you going to call the cops?
Farmer: Why? Nobody knows you're here
Old 05-01-2024, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrollGRG View Post
I hope the best for you but I would be careful about responding. There are a lot of sophisticated scams out there trying to get your info. I would call the bank just to be sure it is all legitimate.

Good luck
When I started reading the letter, the thought of a scam crossed my mind, but as the letter states, I don't have to do anything, the credit will automatically be applied, with no response or action on my part.
Old 05-01-2024, 11:46 AM

It would be the only honest thing TD has ever done. They manage a fund that we have no control over. (Inheritance). We’ve caught them lying so many times and just plain being shady, but due to the way the fund was set up, our hands are tied. It would cost us more in a legal fight than I’m willing to sacrifice. They actually told us once, after we called the fund manager out, that they had some papers stuck together, and that was the reason for the “discrepancy”. Unbelievable.
Old 05-01-2024, 12:34 PM

Quote:
I just received a letter from TD, that because of the accounts I have with them, the annual fee for my cashback Visa, should have been rebated for the past five years. So they are now crediting my Visa account for $675, and I will no longer be charged the annual fee for my credit card. It's nice to have a bank discover a mistake, and make good for it.
I wish they'd do that for my Visa with them, but all they ever want to do is increase my spending limit it seems...
Old 05-01-2024, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Trav View Post
I wish they'd do that for my Visa with them, but all they ever want to do is increase my spending limit it seems...
I asked them to stop increasing my credit limit around 20 years ago, and they did.
Old 05-01-2024, 12:46 PM

I asked them to do the same awhile back but they still send me offers for it.
Old 05-01-2024, 07:50 PM

Quote:
I pay an annual Visa fee also, but it's CIBC & haven't heard a word.

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 05-01-2024, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper1 View Post
I pay an annual Visa fee also, but it's CIBC & haven't heard a word.
TD offers Visa fee rebate on certain TD Visa cards if you hold certain banking packages. It isn't a blanket thing for all customers and all cards. I wish I had realized this advantage more than the 2 years ago when I switched my banking package - apparently it has been in place for 5 years according to Elk's letter.
Old 05-01-2024, 10:48 PM

I have CIBC Visa Aeroplan and a USD Visa card, don't pay an annual fee on either nor do I pay any banking fees for any general banking or for bank drafts, being a senior has some privileges

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 05-02-2024, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldedw View Post
I have CIBC Visa Aeroplan and a USD Visa card, don't pay an annual fee on either nor do I pay any banking fees for any general banking or for bank drafts, being a senior has some privileges
I don't pay any fees, as long as I maintain a minimum balance. I have had this Visa card quite a while, but somehow when I changed my account to the senior's account, they didn't stop charging me the annual fee for the credit card. I typically get $800-$1000 back every year by using this card, so even paying the fee, I came out well ahead
Old 05-02-2024, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCLightning View Post
TD offers Visa fee rebate on certain TD Visa cards if you hold certain banking packages. It isn't a blanket thing for all customers and all cards. I wish I had realized this advantage more than the 2 years ago when I switched my banking package - apparently it has been in place for 5 years according to Elk's letter.
It has been around a lot longer than 5 years. My wife and I have had an all inclusive service with TD for the last 25 years. It covers the annual fee for the cash back VISA and a bunch of other fees. They also rebate the monthly bank fee ($30) if we maintain a min. $5,000 balance, that is a 7% return.

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 05-02-2024, 12:41 PM

Quote:
It's nice to have a bank discover a mistake, and make good for it.
No, it's not. There should have been no mistake in the first place and how many are not discovered?

Just try to make you a mistake and see what's happening.
Old 05-02-2024, 06:03 PM

Congrats on not realizing the bank took your money when they shouldn't have lol. I have an account that has no fees if I maintain a minimum amount and TD never charges me. I'd be choked if they banked it and then suddenly returned it when they shouldn't have taken it to begin with.
Old 05-02-2024, 11:18 PM

Default me too

I got a cheque as well but mine was only for $111...but I'll take it!