Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-21-2018, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Thumper View Post
So, retire the most productive workers that tend to hire everybody else? Leave the economy to the less productive people?
Many businesses are pushed into shutting down because big business is too powerfull. We are seeing businesses getting to big and powerfull . If you taxed these billionaires used the money for infastructure and healthcare projects . It would give people a good chance to get offmin wage . More jobs more competition for better help. I think most people would agree our elderly are poorly supported here in canada.
Old 07-21-2018, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expedition View Post
Sorry i know nothing of hong kong.
Care to elaborate . Thanks
Wikipedia does a better job at elaborating then I do. The basic premise is a Nation with no natural resources, and a population of 7M became the economic hub of Asia.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_Hong_Kong
“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.” John Stuart Mill
Old 07-21-2018, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Many businesses are pushed into shutting down because big business is too powerfull. We are seeing businesses getting to big and powerfull . If you taxed these billionaires used the money for infastructure and healthcare projects . It would give people a good chance to get offmin wage . More jobs more competition for better help. I think most people would agree our elderly are poorly supported here in canada.
So, you want to take (tax) even more money from the very people who pay the majority of the taxes already? Then, you want to take this money, that used to belong to someone who was hyper productive while hiring a huge amount of people and paying massive taxes and then give this money to the government to disperse to less productive people? Of course, being government, much of this money will be wasted. Once this is done, who will support the least productive citizens?

Last edited by Big Thumper; 07-21-2018 at 10:36 PM.
Old 07-21-2018, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Why do you think government should run healthcare when the two best health systems in the world work off private insurance?

Also you realize these billionaires don't just have cash laying around. The reason their networths are so high is because of the stocks they own right?

In saying that we are veering a long ways off the minimum wage topic.
“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.” John Stuart Mill
Old 07-21-2018, 10:36 PM

My intention is not to eliminate the rich but to make them pay their fair share 100 million is stupid rich.

A good point on setting up shop elsewhere but laws can be made and enforced. An interesting news article in the caymin islands a building maybe 4 storys and has 15000 us and can businesses registered there.

This is a fact millenials are the first generation in recent modern history to earn less than their parents . Inflation is taken into account. Something is broke.
Old 07-21-2018, 10:41 PM

Quote:
My intention is not to eliminate the rich but to make them pay their fair share 100 million is stupid rich.
In Canada you will find that the top 8.4% of wage earners pay 52% of the income tax with the top one percent paying 21% alone. So, how much more do you want to tax these people? Ever read the fable about the goose that laid golden eggs?

Last edited by Big Thumper; 07-21-2018 at 10:47 PM.
Old 07-21-2018, 10:42 PM

Raab two best healthcare systems are private run . Details please .
Old 07-21-2018, 10:49 PM

Quote:

A good point on setting up shop elsewhere but laws can be made and enforced. An interesting news article in the caymin islands a building maybe 4 storys and has 15000 us and can businesses registered there.

This is a fact millenials are the first generation in recent modern history to earn less than their parents . Inflation is taken into account. Something is broke.
Yes something is broke but it's not what you think it is. It's the fact that government has over regulated almost every industry. They have also distorted the money supply causing inflation. As millennials were in for a world of hurt if the government ever does what needs to be done to the money supply and stops printing it for a few years. The worst part is we're going to be in even worse shape if they keep putting off the inevitable.
Old 07-21-2018, 10:52 PM

Interesting conversation.

Communism can't work as it isn't wired into human nature. History has shown that clearly.

Truest form of Capitalism was likely seen in Europe during the Industrial Revolution. Child labor, dangerous working conditions, on and on.

I like Canada. A good balance of economic incentive for hard work and smart risk-takers coupled with a social safety net with a conscience. I'm grateful I won the geographic lottery by being born here.
Old 07-21-2018, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
So if Amazon was to cease to exist, how many workers would be unemployed? Would it benefit or hurt the economy for these workers to lose their jobs? Whether or not you like the fact that the people at the top make that much, they provide many, many jobs that would not exist without them.

Ya right.

There was life before amazon, would be life after it as well.

The void would be filled.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 07-21-2018, 10:56 PM

Quote:
In Canada you will find that the top 8.4% of wage earners pay 52% of the income tax with the top one percent paying 21% alone. So, how much more do you want to tax these people? Ever read the fable about the goose that laid golden eggs?
Good info . My stats are us based . But like most things we seem to be always following th us.

I am a carpenter bu trade . Union wage in 1980 was 25 dollars now 2018 it is close to 50. Price of gasoline in 1980 18 cents today 1.25 . Wages are not keeping pace with inflation. We need to realise this and need to protect min wage . And support .
Old 07-21-2018, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
Ya right.

There was life before amazon, would be life after it as well.

The void would be filled.
X2
Old 07-21-2018, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Good info . My stats are us based . But like most things we seem to be always following th us.

I am a carpenter bu trade . Union wage in 1980 was 25 dollars now 2018 it is close to 50. Price of gasoline in 1980 18 cents today 1.25 . Wages are not keeping pace with inflation. We need to realise this and need to protect min wage . And support .
I think with research you will find that wages have kept up with inflation, in most recent years, they have surpassed by a decent margin. That is not to say they have in your chosen field. At 50.00 and hour you are earning in the top 10% of wage earners in Canada , so, taxes are going to be taking a big chunk and you want top wage earners like yourself to be taxed even more.

https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/n1/pub/...pi-ipc-eng.htm
Old 07-21-2018, 11:06 PM

Quote:

The UBC union rate for a journeyman carpenter working under their construction agreement is actually 41.93 as a base rate , with the total package being 54.87.
Journeymen carpenters working under the PMC or the NMA maintenance make a bit less than that however.
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 07-21-2018 at 11:12 PM.
Old 07-21-2018, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Raab two best healthcare systems are private run . Details please .
Look at how Switzerland and the Netherlands run their health systems. We can do so much better here in Canada.
Old 07-21-2018, 11:09 PM

[QUOTE=sns2;3815706]Interesting conversation.

Communism can't work as it isn't wired into human nature. History has shown that clearly.

Truest form of Capitalism was likely seen in Europe during the Industrial Revolution. Child labor, dangerous working conditions, on and on.

I like Canada. A good balance of economic incentive for hard work and smart risk-takers coupled with a social safety net with a conscience. I'm grateful I won the geographic lottery by being born here.[/QUOTE

Very well said . We need to protect what we have . Eliminating min wage is retarded.
Old 07-21-2018, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
Look at how Switzerland and the Netherlands run their health systems. We can do so much better here in Canada.
Interesting .i Will have to do some research .
Old 07-21-2018, 11:12 PM

Quote:

That's one option, the other is we all start telling the government to stop printing money. This will undoubtedly cause a recession. But the longer we put it off, the worse the recession will be.
Old 07-21-2018, 11:12 PM

Quote:

Eliminating min wage is retarded.
Its very likely the opposite is true.
Old 07-21-2018, 11:16 PM

[QUOTE=expedition;3815716]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Interesting conversation.

I like Canada. A good balance of economic incentive for hard work and smart risk-takers coupled with a social safety net with a conscience. I'm grateful I won the geographic lottery by being born here.[/QUOTE

Very well said . We need to protect what we have . Eliminating min wage is retarded.
Again I ask that you look at Hong Kong. No minimum wage, and only 100000 of their 7M+ population living in poverty. Also 2.7% unemployment rate
Old 07-21-2018, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Not a chance
Old 07-21-2018, 11:20 PM

Quote:
I agree. I've been working since I was 14 and don't think I've ever been paid minimum wage. Whats so wrong about paying people what they are worth? I know there are guys at my work who are paid alot more than they are "worth" as they don't cause headaches, do whats requested of them, don't cause a big fuss if they are asked to work the odd weekend, work efficiently, show up 10 minutes early to grab coffee, chat, turn the computer on so they are ready to work at 8:00, not show up at 8:00, work till 5:00 and then pack up, not leave at 5:00, don't steal, treat the equipment like it's their own, etc.
Old 07-21-2018, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Not a chance
So, Hong Kong.....is retarded?

Do you have any examples where there is a thriving economy with a minimum wage of $25.00/hr? There is plenty of evidence where even a bump to $15.00/hr is leading to reduced hours, which as a result, is leading to less take home pay for employees, and less jobs overall. Essentially, what the thread was about and the Forbes link.
Old 07-21-2018, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Not a chance
I'll play along then. Pretend I agree with you. However, you said in an earlier post that you were unhappy with the 50.00 per hour you are earning as it had not kept up with inflation dating back to the 80's. So, how can you expect others to live on far less than that 50.00? Seems unfair when its not enough enough to keep up with inflation. So, let's make this arbitrary minimum wage legislated by a government 50.00. That would be a great start for fairness and economic equity, would it not?
Old 07-21-2018, 11:37 PM

Quote:
I'll play along then. Pretend I agree with you. However, you said in an earlier post that you were unhappy with the 50.00 per hour you are earning as it had not kept up with inflation dating back to the 80's. So, how can you expect others to live on far less than that 50.00? Seems unfair when its not enough enough to keep up with inflation. So, let's make this arbitrary minimum wage legislated by a government 50.00. That would be a great start for fairness and economic equity, would it not?
Why stop at 50. If all it takes to lift people out of poverty is to up the minimum wage. Let's put it up to 500 per hour. Then we can all live like kings!
Old 07-21-2018, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Why stop at 50. If all it takes to lift people out of poverty is to up the minimum wage. Let's put it up to 500 per hour. Then we can all live like kings!
Can't wait!

However, you are just being silly. That would mean people who aren't worth 500.00 per hour would lose their jobs, and unemployment would actually climb. Meaning more people would require social safety nets ( your taxes) . Employers would also tend to reduce benefits and training, etc for those still employed. People trying to get into the labor force for the first time like students and young adults will have fewer opportunities.

Last edited by Big Thumper; 07-21-2018 at 11:46 PM.
Old 07-21-2018, 11:42 PM

Wow what was that .

Thats a bit of an overreacton because i want to protect the min wage at 15 then you are justified in that accusation . Not resonable . I want to protect the vulnerable from big business . We all should want that. Fair wage for a days work.
Old 07-21-2018, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Wow what was that .

Thats a bit of an overreacton because i want to protect the min wage at 15 then you are justified in that accusation . Not resonable . I want to protect the vulnerable from big business . We all should want that. Fair wage for a days work.
Isn't 50.00 fair? What possible negative could happen at 50.00? It would help protect the vulnerable I would think?
Old 07-21-2018, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Wow what was that .

The same economic principles apply to a 15 dollar minimum wage as a 50 dollar minimum wage. I said 500 for an overexagerration to drive the point home. The fact is the market will adjust and the people making minimum wage will be worse off.
Old 07-21-2018, 11:53 PM

Quote:
The same economic principles apply to a 15 dollar minimum wage as a 50 dollar minimum wage. I said 500 for an overexagerration to drive the point home. The fact is the market will adjust and the people making minimum wage will be worse off.
Not sure why he(expedition) has so little faith in Canadian workers that they can't demand what they are worth from their employers? Having a government legislate minimum wage is arbitrary and may give employers an easy way to always pay instead of negotiating a fair wage.