Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-04-2016, 10:25 AM

Default Toyota Tacoma

In the market for a new truck, figured it's a good time to be hunting for deals right now.

Im looking for a reliable 1/4 ton 4x4 for under 5k, preferably Manuel tranny with suicide seats in the back and under 20 years old, aesthetics don't matter to me.

I've been eyeing the Tacoma but the used prices are ridiculous on them.
Are they worth the extra cash Compared to a ranger or frontier?
Any good places to be looking besides Kijiji and auctions?

Any input is appreciated.
Old 03-04-2016, 10:28 AM

There is a reason everyone wants one. I bought my 06 a few years back and love it. great trucks. They are very reliable, which is why they hold their value much better than anything else on the market.
Old 03-04-2016, 11:53 AM

The Tundra and Tacoma both maintain a higher resale price because they have a proven record of being tough and dependable. Most of the time not quite as much as their sellers think though.
Old 03-04-2016, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11567403 View Post
In the market for a new truck, figured it's a good time to be hunting for deals right now.

Im looking for a reliable 1/4 ton 4x4 for under 5k, preferably Manuel tranny with suicide seats in the back and under 20 years old, aesthetics don't matter to me.

Are they worth the extra cash Compared to a ranger or frontier?
Any good places to be looking besides Kijiji and auctions?

by a million country miles!

#I Am An Outdoorsman And I Approve This Message

#creativity can't wait for technology
Old 03-04-2016, 12:23 PM

Toyota trucks are as tough as nails! you can't go wrong.
Nothing else compares!

I drove a 4 runner for 15 years. Parked it due to rusted out but still ran like a dream with 565,000 k on it. Not one leak!

I drive a Tundra now.
Old 03-04-2016, 05:57 PM
Banned

Take a look on Ebay for a vintage Toyota 4X4.No it wont be a fancy truck with all of the power options etc and if it is a 1980's early 1990's truck you will have to suffer and lock in the hubs manually but on the upside you get a 4X4 that beats the crap out of even the newest Toyota and with far better fuel economy.

If you can manage to buy one the rarest gem for vintage Toyota 4X4's is the 1985 Turbo Deisel.It has the solid locker transfer case and a 2.4 litre turbo diesel engine with twin batteries and a hand primed fuel filter.Air conditioning and power steering were common with a 5 speed manual transmission.

If you ever see the above mentioned truck and the price is below $5000 and it is rust free BUY IT.I scored one 18 years ago and it had only a bit of surface rust on the box and 180,000 KM's on the odometer and I paid $2800 for it.They guy who was with me on the test drive said straight out "BUY IT" as soon as we left the dealership for the test drive.I did buy it and his brother who was a heavy duty mechanic went over the engine as soon as he heard "Toyota Turbo Diesel" and did a compression test/leak down test and said I would easily get a million MILES out of the engine no problem and he was the one who found the hand primed fuel filter which he thought was pure genius.Spin a wing nut valve on the bottom of the housing and pump the primer a few times to get rid of any gunk or water in the fuel filter.

I wish I had never traded that truck.Top speed was 110 but it would chew up the steepest logging roads around Revelstoke with a cord of firewood in the box like it was on wings.

FTH
Old 03-04-2016, 06:37 PM
Banned

Default Buy this

231866012716 this is an Ebay listing for a Japanese 2009 Turbo Diesel.

They wont even sell a truck like this in Canada at a Toyota dealership if you asked them to special order it.Yeah it will cost you more than $5000 and you will either have to get down there and drive it back or get it shipped here and then get a safety inspection (it will pass) but DAMN you will LOVE THAT TRUCK.

Get the body undercoated and it will last you till the end of your life...buya big enough plot and you could be buried in it as it will live longer than you.

FTH
Old 03-04-2016, 06:56 PM

Pick a 3.4ltr v6, 1999 -2003. Manual 5speed. I've owned almost every year of pickup, and tacoma. The 03 is best for a daily driver 4x4. The newer ones 04 and up are to wide and have traction control. Save your $$$ and get an 03, 4 door short box would be my preference, I own an ext cab, that bit of extra room for gear and people would be nice in the 4 door. Not sure how mechanically inclined you are, I bought a 03 with 120k on tac , it was tipped on its side and written off for 2k, $1500 fix including right off inspection, and Ive had my bush buggy/daily beater now for 5 years and 160k, aside from regular oil / fluid changes,1 clutch and timing belt it's been maintence free. The clutch was changed from hard use, burried in mud and water numerous times, it still got me home every time.
Old 03-04-2016, 06:56 PM
Banned

Default Here is another one

281954551203 Ebay listing for a 1984 SR5 Toyota 4X4 with 191,000 miles on it.Texas black plate special with zero rust and just about show room condition.Has the indestructible 22RE engine with a 5 speed manual.No bells and whistles just a solid wicked vintage Toyota 4X4 that gets you tons of thumb up as you drive it.Get it rust proofed and drive it till you die.

FTH
Old 03-04-2016, 06:58 PM

I have 2008 4Runer 160,000 km with original breaks and no a single issue yet. Only complain when I pool my hunting trailer it gets very thirsty.
Old 03-04-2016, 07:10 PM

Had a 92 Toyota pickup 4x4 standard. Loved it except for towing power. Small v6 then was a little gutless for that. And make sure the timing belt has been done recently for the older trucks cause it's not cheap. Newer trucks have a timing chain so no worries. I now have a 2010 and the newer engine has lots of power for a mid sized truck. Put a quad in the back and towed a flat deck trailer with a sxs on it hunting 2 seasons ago no prob
Old 03-04-2016, 07:12 PM
Banned

Keep in mind the toyota 3.4 has a head gasket issue. Although I'd think the ones still on the road would have had this gasket replaced.
Old 03-04-2016, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domestique View Post
Keep in mind the toyota 3.4 has a head gasket issue. Although I'd think the ones still on the road would have had this gasket replaced.

That would be the 3.0
Old 03-04-2016, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domestique View Post
A good friend of mine owns a wrecking yard specializing in toyota 4x4's, his worst selling engine is the 3.4, he has many of them, they don't sell because they don't break....usually lol
Old 03-04-2016, 07:23 PM

If you don't need a bed look for a 4Runner, still (not sure about newest ones) made in Japan, which does make a difference. My 4Runner is coming up on 15 years and is still rock solid, not a rattle or squeak out of anything.......other than $30 oil I've been wishing the stupid thing would break down on me so I can justify buying myself a new toy for about 3 years now!!!

I have the v8, can tow 5000 lbs. Had a Tundra for 5 years, loved it but sold it 2 years ago because it's too big for city living. Broke my heart when she drove away for the last time.
Old 03-04-2016, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blgoodbrand1 View Post
That would be the 3.0
Yep
Old 03-04-2016, 07:32 PM

The other Brands or Followers, Tacoma's are an awesome Truck...
have had four Tacoma's, some Normal couple Rigged!! Good Truck's
Old 03-04-2016, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikwhiskey View Post
Pick a 3.4ltr v6, 1999 -2003. Manual 5speed. I've owned almost every year of pickup, and tacoma. The 03 is best for a daily driver 4x4. The newer ones 04 and up are to wide and have traction control. Save your $$$ and get an 03, 4 door short box would be my preference, I own an ext cab, that bit of extra room for gear and people would be nice in the 4 door. Not sure how mechanically inclined you are, I bought a 03 with 120k on tac , it was tipped on its side and written off for 2k, $1500 fix including right off inspection, and Ive had my bush buggy/daily beater now for 5 years and 160k, aside from regular oil / fluid changes,1 clutch and timing belt it's been maintence free. The clutch was changed from hard use, burried in mud and water numerous times, it still got me home every time.
an 03 4dr shortbox? yeah. once he finds one for sale, he can stop off and buy a unicorn....

I watched for 2 gd years. Finally found an 01' 4dr shortbox. cost me 10k.
its perfect - except the transmission. auto transmission? really? you ruined the perfect truck.
Old 03-05-2016, 12:49 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11567403 View Post

Are they worth the extra cash Compared to a ranger or frontier ?

Any good places to be looking besides Kijiji and auctions ?

Yes.

No, other than actual car dealerships. And auctions should be a last resort.

I've owned 3 'Yotas, and I've loved each of them... Dependable and very capable.
Old 03-05-2016, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck-the-chimp View Post
an 03 4dr shortbox? yeah. once he finds one for sale, he can stop off and buy a unicorn....

I watched for 2 gd years. Finally found an 01' 4dr shortbox. cost me 10k.
its perfect - except the transmission. auto transmission? really? you ruined the perfect truck.
Your looking in the wrong places, auto trans aren't bad, manual is better for a 4x4. I've scene a few go for under 8k recently. They are rare but not hard to find. And a manual trans swap is easy if you have a parts truck.
Old 03-05-2016, 02:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikwhiskey View Post

Your looking in the wrong places, auto trans aren't bad, manual is better for a 4x4. I've scene a few go for under 8k recently. They are rare but not hard to find. And a manual trans swap is easy if you have a parts truck.
An '03-'04 4dr 4x4 Tacoma w/manual transmission... Doesn't exist, AFAIK.
Old 03-05-2016, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0HN_R1 View Post
An '03-'04 4dr 4x4 Tacoma w/manual transmission... Doesn't exist, AFAIK.
03 does, don't think you'll find an 04 as they changed to a wider body style, regardless, 98-03 are the same body style in manual or auto. The frames are the same lenght in ext cab longbox and crew cab short box, identical other than body mounts. And they were made in both manual and auto. And I have done 3 transmission conversions from auto to manual with minimal issues. You saying they didn't make a 4 door manual trans up to 03? Guess I choped up a few unicorns lol
Old 03-05-2016, 03:17 AM

I could be mistaken though, drive shaft lenght and clutch neutral switch seemed to be the main issue on a swap,has well as ecu's and iirc we were using parts out a 4 runner in the double cabs. Most wrecked doubles had blown auto tranys so we would switch to 5 speed ones and sell. Been a few years, and a few of the double cab manuals were 2 wheel drive that we converted to 4x4. Been a while since I stoped pulling wrenches. Toyotas seem to blend together as I get older lol still great units.
Old 03-05-2016, 12:27 PM

Tacoma is what I really wanted but ended up settling for a Frontier. Cost me half of what a comparable Tacoma would have and I couldn't be happier. Next time I buy a truck it'll be another Frontier for sure!
Old 03-05-2016, 12:35 PM
Banned

If your really lucky and find Tacoma for $5000 or $6000 thou$and with a rusted out frame , it may qualify for the ( Toyota Rusted Out Frame BUY-BACK PROGRAM) and they might pay you out twice as much as you paid for it ,,,

But then your back to square One, looking for a truck ,,,
Old 03-05-2016, 01:08 PM

That frame warranty is only good for 15 years after mfg.
Old 03-05-2016, 01:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerman View Post
That frame warranty is only good for 15 years after mfg.
Yup, and the rust is forever , rust in peace
Old 03-07-2016, 06:35 PM

Default Thanks

Thanks for all the info guys!
I'm sold on a Toyota now after reading this thread and a bunch of reviews online.

Now I just need to find a good deal.

I owned a lifted 91 2.4l turbo diesel hilux for awhile also. It was an awesome vehicle but I ended up getting rid of it because it was incapable of going over hills and maintaining 60km/hr. I do a lot of Hwy driving so that was a deal breaker.
A reduced gear ratio and big tires definitely didn't help either, but that thing was bomb proof.

I've heard good things about the older nissans as well. Seems like the newer ones aren't as reliable though.
Old 03-07-2016, 06:43 PM
Banned

I have a 2005 tacoma and it,s a tank , use it for trapping and like it a lot , That is likely the reason ISIS use them a lot also!
Old 03-07-2016, 08:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by blgoodbrand1 View Post
That would be the 3.0
Yes I had it confused with the 3.4