Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-04-2016, 05:13 PM

Default legislation regarding off roading in a provincial park??

So here s my rant ,

Today while out checking trail cams in k country , I pulled off the gravel road and parked just on the other side of the ditch on an old road way( like we have done since my father started taking me there as child , 20+ years ) Anyway s go do my thing check the cams and spent some time looking for a spot for a new tree stand , great day out in the woods . Upon returning to my vehicle fish n chips is pulled over by my vehicle with the lights on . No biggie figured he had just stopped to see what I was upto ..

So I'm at my truck taking off boots and such and buddy comes over and asks me if I'm John little ?? I said pardon me , and he repeats himself and then says thats who owns this vehicle .. (it's a company vehicle registered in my company name ). So then he asked why I'm parked where I am and follows up to see my license insurance and registration. No problem let me grab it for you. While doing that I explained for the safety of my vehicle and that of my 2 chocolate labs is the reason I pulled off the gravel road and onto the grassy patch I was parked on .. He grabs all my info and walks back through the ditch to his vehicle. And tells me to wait here.. (Cause I'm gonna take off with him having all my info ). 15 minutes goes by and then I see him out on the road waving at me to goto his vehicle , I opened up my door and he yells at me to drive over to him .. in which I did.. Get out of my truck and walk up to him on the road and hands me a ticket for $287 .00 for off roading in provincial park .. explains to me that I should have parked on the gravel road and that I can't just drive where ever I want .. I said to him is it not common sense to pull your vehicle off the road for other motorists driving by and for the safety of myself and my vehicle ??? His response was here s the court date explain it to them and they may reduce the fine..

All I could say was "Im glad the only way you educate the public is by issuing tickets and I walked away.. Im so friggen pi $$ed off.

So anyone have any insight on the legislation regarding "off roading in a provincial park "

By the way I was pulled off the gravel road in sibbald flats ..

Mamba
Old 03-04-2016, 05:20 PM

My question is how far off said road, do roads not have a right of way, say 20 ft either side of road, where it is still road allowance, not park property
Old 03-04-2016, 05:26 PM
Gone Fishing

Can you go back and take some pics with your cell phone? That may help you in court. If you place the quad were it was approximately, then you can best explain to the judge why and where you were.
Old 03-04-2016, 05:27 PM
Banned

Default go to court ...

people have to start resisting this horse chit.

Or it will get worse.

I'm sorry your day in Alberta's outdoors was ruined by a wanker like that ... not a shred of common sense any more.

TBD

Yeh - you were supposed to leave you vehicle parked right there in the middle of the road

Last edited by lilsundance; 03-04-2016 at 08:18 PM.
Old 03-04-2016, 05:34 PM
Banned

Thanks for the heads up and it does sound a bit over board to me.
Old 03-04-2016, 05:49 PM

Default Google Provincial Parks Act

Google that up and look at the legislation. Find the section number you were charged under and see if you were in violation.
If I recall correctly, you can not be off of a roadway path or designated parking area. I could be wrong.

Good Luck
Old 03-04-2016, 05:53 PM
Banned

We need some context here; how far off the road were you? Were you in the ditch or parked in the trees beyond the ditch.
Old 03-04-2016, 05:54 PM

You got a ticket.
Technically he was right.
He was a dick....

Next!

Old 03-04-2016, 05:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clgy_Dave2.0 View Post
You got a ticket.
Technically he was right.
He was a dick....

Next!

Well there you have it, lock the thread. LOL!
Old 03-04-2016, 07:32 PM

'no motorized vehicles beyond this point' is a sign I've seen frequently over the years, and have taken it to mean everywhere. You've got to think what would happen if people could choose their own parking spots.
Old 03-04-2016, 07:39 PM

With all the crap that's goin on this is the best this guy could do. Brutal!! Why is that line of work attracting such an idiot and why was he hired. That's like rcmp sitting at a small town 4 way stop giving seniors tickets.
Old 03-04-2016, 07:47 PM
Banned

Arrow

Senior citizens for the most part are horrible drivers.

You break the law, you pay the price. No acceptions........or should there be because your a special snowflake?
Old 03-04-2016, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman1978 View Post
With all the crap that's goin on this is the best this guy could do. Brutal!! Why is that line of work attracting such an idiot and why was he hired. That's like rcmp sitting at a small town 4 way stop giving seniors tickets.
Not to derail, but my kid waits every morning at the corner to cross the street to school, in our tiny village, while seniors go right on through the crosswalk without even seeing him. So I'm all for ticketing the sh$t out of them. (and its not just seniors)
Old 03-04-2016, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinny View Post
Not to derail, but my kid waits every morning at the corner to cross the street to school, in our tiny village, while seniors go right on through the crosswalk without even seeing him. So I'm all for ticketing the sh$t out of them. (and its not just seniors)
Sorry bad analogy then on my part.
Old 03-04-2016, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nester View Post

You break the law, you pay the price. No acceptions........or should there be because your a special snowflake?
I bet your fun at the party!! Snow flake is better than a stick in the mud!! But in all seriousness this seems so minor in the big picture. Maybe the officer felt special after issuing the ticket.
Old 03-04-2016, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domestique View Post
We need some context here; how far off the road were you? Were you in the ditch or parked in the trees beyond the ditch.
I was parked 13 yards from the shoulder on what used to be an old logging road access point .. last 3 times I've been parked there , I've seen a fish n wildlife officer driving by and 2 of the times they waived at me, my wife and son.. never had an issue ..

what bothers me is that how can other officers drive by with out accessing the cituation or coming over and saying hey just so ya know.. in which I would have zero issues with.. and then today this..
By all means if I was Off Roading as he called it , forsure give me a ticket I deserve it ... but to pull of a gravel road onto an existing easement is pure crap !!

I will be fighting this one forsure..
Old 03-04-2016, 08:07 PM

was it a little short guy with a moustache?

I got hit with the same fine in the same area. I think there was a sign nearby if im not mistaken.

Its like speed traps, they know where to get you.
Old 03-04-2016, 08:09 PM
Banned

The definition of "off roading" that I found on the Internet does not describe the scenario. What is the definition under the Act that you were charged under?
Old 03-04-2016, 08:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmamba View Post
I was parked 13 yards from the shoulder on what used to be an old logging road access point .. last 3 times I've been parked there , I've seen a fish n wildlife officer driving by and 2 of the times they waived at me, my wife and son.. never had an issue ..

what bothers me is that how can other officers drive by with out accessing the cituation or coming over and saying hey just so ya know.. in which I would have zero issues with.. and then today this..
By all means if I was Off Roading as he called it , forsure give me a ticket I deserve it ... but to pull of a gravel road onto an existing easement is pure crap !!

I will be fighting this one forsure..
Glad to hear you are fighting it.
Old 03-04-2016, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
The definition of "off roading" that I found on the Internet does not describe the scenario. What is the definition under the Act that you were charged under?
26 unathorized operation of a motor vehicle Off highway in a rec area..

So where I was there is zero sign regarding parking or that of no motorized vehicles beyond this point .. the only sign there is a mountain biking sign where the the old logging road is.. which would state to me that where I was parked would be a staging area for those mountain biking the trail ???
Old 03-04-2016, 09:39 PM
Banned

Default post #1

Thank you for this experience.

I suspect I will be receiving the same.
Old 03-04-2016, 10:15 PM

Somebody called in a complaint on you, that's why you got your lovely interaction with the law.

K Country is teaming with busy body, granola munching, tree hugging, leftards.

There are no absolutes
Old 03-04-2016, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
Somebody called in a complaint on you, that's why you got your lovely interaction with the law.

Your probably right , next time I'll take the Honda civic and dress in my "Canmore camo"..
Old 03-04-2016, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmamba View Post
Your probably right , next time I'll take the Honda civic and dress in my "Canmore camo"..
Put a bike rack on your civic, and a keep calm sticker, don't forget a left over tofu wrapper that can be seen.

There are no absolutes
Old 03-05-2016, 01:29 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
Yep it's them tree huggers out there dumping garbage and shooting up road signs. The bastards.

I don't blame the OP one bit for being upset and based on what he's written I don't think he was treated fairly. On the other hand, I'm not surprised it's come to this. The flagrant abuse in that area over the last decade made a severe crackdown inevitable.

Hope you get your fine dismissed mamba but it's pretty clear the people who respected this area are being held accountable for the minority who treated it as a toilet.
Old 03-05-2016, 06:56 AM

I don't think he was treated fairly neither in this case, buy my son-in-law is one of the guys in that area that does this for a living. Some of the stuff he tells me regarding how people abuse the country is just insane, I can see why a clamp down is needed. And from what he tells me the bike packen granola crunchers are just as bad. Interesting part is, he feels it about 10 % of the people that use the area that do this. That might be to high?
Old 03-05-2016, 07:18 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nester View Post

So you feel pulling your vehicle off the road to park it should be a crime and that leaving your vehicle on the road, parked so no lights on, is the common sense approach?
Old 03-05-2016, 07:26 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Maybe you broke the law, maybe you didn't, you need to follow up on it if you believe you where in the right, a verbal explanation would have been suffice but we are only getting one side of the story...we need the other two sides too.
Got your side, need his side and what exactly went on...

Nice rant though.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-05-2016, 08:16 AM

If it was a private land issue, from what you've described, you were beyond the demarcation line and would be deemed trespassing. You made the decision to take a little more that day, and payed the subsequent fee. If your father taught you that it's ok to do it, suppose we could cut you some slack, but I doubt it.

Same old crap in Calgary parks. Off road dirt bikes and off leash dogs owners taking liberties
Old 03-05-2016, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winged1 View Post
If it was a private land issue, from what you've described, you were beyond the demarcation line and would be deemed trespassing. You made the decision to take a little more that day, and payed the subsequent fee. If your father taught you that it's ok to do it, suppose we could cut you some slack, but I doubt it.

Same old crap in Calgary parks. Off road dirt bikes and off leash dogs owners taking liberties

Not on private property, crown land in k country. This is exactly where I was parked off the gravel road. looks like a staging area for rec users using the trail systems to me..

s1282.photobucket.com/user/easton57/media/Mobile%20Uploads/Screenshot_2016-03-04-23-43-02_zps15eb09tl.png.html][/URL]

Last edited by blackmamba; 03-05-2016 at 08:44 AM.