Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-07-2016, 12:05 PM

Default Do we have any red deer fire fighter/emt on AO?

If we do would you be willing to answer some questions regarding training and recruitment?
Thanks in advance.
Old 03-07-2016, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny86 View Post
If we do would you be willing to answer some questions regarding training and recruitment?
Thanks in advance.
I am not, but what questions are you looking for?

First, are you either an EMT-P or an EMT with NFPA 1001 Level II?
Old 03-07-2016, 04:21 PM

None of the above. I was looking for some directions on preferred schools for detachments and what not. Or what a guys should start working on first.
Old 03-07-2016, 05:39 PM

I am starting the process right now. The RDFD trains for the fire portion so you don't need to worry about that. But you do need to come in as a Paramedic. The path to paramedic starts with EMT, then EMT-A, finally EMT-Paramedic. It is about a 3 year process if you get into every school on schedule. I do not know if the department cares which school you do it through, but I know for sure it must be an ACP (Alberta College of Paramedics) approved program, and you must be registered with ACP as a paramedic before you can apply.

As far as recruitment it is done periodically, it gets posted on the City of Red Deer website. The best way to get in would be to try and do your practicums for EMT/Paramedic with Red Deer, they hire most new recruits that way.
Old 03-07-2016, 06:09 PM

Thanks a lot Canadian phsyco and best of luck. What school are you attending? Sorry if this is a stupid question but do you know if there are company's that do work internships or does a guy just bite the bullet and head to school? Personally I'm more into the fire fighting aspects but understand why they want both. Maybe with Sylvan building a new hall it will open up some opportunities in the future.
Old 03-07-2016, 10:34 PM

Thanks. I am going in for my professional test for EMR at the moment, then hoping to start EMT in the summer/fall. I did EMR at AHASTI in Red Deer, I highly recommend their program, very efficient, and very well presented.

As far as EMT school goes, lots of places offer, but you basically have two choices for EMT and Paramedic, private schools or public. For privates you have Premier Medical Associates in Calgary, or Emergency Services Academy in Sherwood park. Then public its the SAITs, NAITs, Portage, etc. Each will have different entry requirements.

I have never heard of internships in the EMS industry. Closest thing would be a ride along with an ambulance crew, which is possible, best to contact the department for more info on that. To actually get experience you need the schooling first before you can do anything. EMR is at least easy as its only 3 weeks long and gives you a good intro into the things you will learn.

Each department is different as far as the medical requirements go. Red Deer being Firemedics you need to be a paramedic. Some departments are completely separate between medical and fire. Places like Calgary are like this and to be a fire fighter you only need to have EMR, and don't even need the provincial licensing.

I don't know Sylvan runs for requirements so can't help you there.
Old 03-07-2016, 10:55 PM

That sounds great I'm thinking emergency service Academy will be my place to go considering I have relatives there and they seem good. I think I will look into the EMR at AHASTI it's a little closer to home. Any other tips or advice? Also would you mind if I PM you if I have any more questions?
Old 03-07-2016, 11:33 PM

Ive heard lots of good about ESA, its where I am hoping to go for EMT. I enjoyed my AHASTI EMR course, and apparently they have a 91% pass rate with ACP which is also good. Any school worth your time will tell you what their pass rate is for ACT, something to look at when you decide which school to attend.

Sure, feel free to PM any time.
Old 03-08-2016, 10:12 AM

Step 1: Take a course to the level you wish to either work at, or is needed by the employer you wish to be with. This includes doing just an EMR, EMT or EMT-P course. Or you could do the zero to hero ones through Med Hat college or others.
Step 2: Finish courses, finish practicum and pass the professional exams as laid out by the Alberta College of Paramedics.
Step 3: Hold out to find FullTime employment (depending where you go be ready to wait nearly a decade). If you want an amalgamated service ie Red Deer, Strathmore, Lethbridge, Fort MacMurray etc be aware that they may or may not train your fire skills ie. 10-01, 10-02. Most will though.
Step 4: While waiting to do Step 3, apply for a casual position in the health zone that a) you can find work (not too difficult) or b) in the area you live (may be difficult)

Step 5: Enjoy a unionized career that will never see frontline units cut, there are always whiners, *******es and genuinely sick people keeping us all gainfully employed

PM me for more info. I had/have friends that work(ed) Red Deer