Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-05-2009, 08:41 PM

Default Properly spooling a reel

Okay, I'm putting line on my reels for tomorrow. The only thing is I just started doing my first one and already it seems like the line is twisting up?

I know that there is a way to do this properly, but I think I'm missing something. Anybody care to give me a quick crash course on spooling a reel?

Sidenote: 2lb Cajun Red Ice line is like trying to tie a strand of hair!

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 12-05-2009, 09:32 PM

lay the spools on the floor, when its tied on, reel in a bit, lower the rod, and see if the line is twisting. if it is turn the spool over and continue. It will twist coming off in one direction but not in the other. and quit tieing knots in your hair, it will all fall out and look like mine

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 12-05-2009, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
lay the spools on the floor, when its tied on, reel in a bit, lower the rod, and see if the line is twisting. if it is turn the spool over and continue. It will twist coming off in one direction but not in the other. and quit tieing knots in your hair, it will all fall out and look like mine
So I let the line come off the edge of the spool instead of 'rolling' off, correct?

Seems like I'm getting a twist either way I have the spool

edit: and I'm already losing my hair, so it's kind of a moot point

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 12-05-2009, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezle View Post
So I let the line come off the edge of the spool instead of 'rolling' off, correct?

Seems like I'm getting a twist either way I have the spool

edit: and I'm already losing my hair, so it's kind of a moot point
maybe you arent holding your mouth right? I dont know, it always seems to work for me, one way twists and the other doesnt. or not as bad anyways. Maybe you need to have more Lucky's when you do it,

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 12-05-2009, 09:42 PM

If you have a baitcasting type of reel then you roll the line off the spool. If it's a spincasting reel then you take it off from the side of the spool (like the way Wayne is describing it). Basically you want the line to transfer to the reel in the same method as the spool.

It's kinda hard to explain and much easier to show unfortunately.
Old 12-05-2009, 09:42 PM

Quote:
maybe you arent holding your mouth right? I dont know, it always seems to work for me, one way twists and the other doesnt. or not as bad anyways.Maybe you need to have more Lucky's when you do it,
I think this may be the key statement. One way is probably worse than the other, but I just saw it twisting and stopped before I made it worse

I'll save the Lucky's for when I finally get out on to the ice

- Strung Out

- Douglas Adams
Old 12-05-2009, 09:46 PM

reason they call it Lucky if because thats what you are if you drink a 6 pack and live to tell the tale

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 12-05-2009, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slingshotz View Post
If you have a baitcasting type of reel then you roll the line off the spool. If it's a spincasting reel then you take it off from the side of the spool (like the way Wayne is describing it). Basically you want the line to transfer to the reel in the same method as the spool.

It's kinda hard to explain and much easier to show unfortunately.
Thanks, I got it figured out now

- Strung Out

- Douglas Adams
Old 12-05-2009, 09:52 PM

Quote:
reason they call it Lucky if because thats what you are if you drink a 6 pack and live to tell the tale
Could be worse...could be Black Label

- Strung Out

- Douglas Adams
Old 12-05-2009, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Could be worse...could be Black Label
hey I had that on an airline once and I think I had enough to like it, or to forget it, either way good luck with the trout tomorrow, take a camera, I will too and we will compare pics.

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 12-05-2009, 10:01 PM

Quote:
hey I had that on an airline once and I think I had enough to like it, or to forget it, either way good luck with the trout tomorrow, take a camera, I will too and we will compare pics.
Good God, what airline serves Black Label...was it a flight from Prince Albert?

and the camera is definitely coming out

- Strung Out

- Douglas Adams
Old 12-05-2009, 10:07 PM

I take a pencil and put it through the hole in the spool and then put it in a vice so the spool turns freely as I reel the line off.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 12-05-2009, 10:09 PM

Default new line

Quote:
I think this may be the key statement. One way is probably worse than the other, but I just saw it twisting and stopped before I made it worse

I'll save the Lucky's for when I finally get out on to the ice

yup lucky's are always best on ice

as for spooling up new line, string the line through the hole in the paper box the line comes in and get a friend to hold. if your doing it solo, punch hole thru the middle of the spool and paper box with a pencil and then anchor it by placing the ends of the pencil between two boxes, tackle boxes, etc.........

you will get the least amount of knots when the new spool of line is spinning when you reel it onto your spin/baitcasting reel and that paper box usually provides the right amount of resistance.

trust me, if you reel up your new line loosely without any resistance, then the beginning of your first fishing trip with that reel will be no fun at all.
Old 12-05-2009, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostguy6 View Post
I take a pencil and put it through the hole in the spool and then put it in a vice so the spool turns freely as I reel the line off.
Exactly how I do it, although I get another person to hold the pencil at both ends. And reel steady, try not to pause. And of course, dont put on too much... thats my biggest problem, stopping in time.
Old 12-05-2009, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutpirate View Post

yup lucky's are always best on ice

as for spooling up new line, string the line through the hole in the paper box the line comes in and get a friend to hold. if your doing it solo, punch hole thru the middle of the spool and paper box with a pencil and then anchor it by placing the ends of the pencil between two boxes, tackle boxes, etc.........

you will get the least amount of knots when the new spool of line is spinning when you reel it onto your spin/baitcasting reel and that paper box usually provides the right amount of resistance.

trust me, if you reel up your new line loosely without any resistance, then the beginning of your first fishing trip with that reel will be no fun at all.
Well, I did it the way Wayne suggested, with the line coming off the edge of the spool. I did hold the line near the reel to provide some resistance so the line went on tight.

The 2lb went on fine, but the 15lb was still a bit of a mess, but I think that's more due to the stiff line, it even wanted to coil off the spool it came on

- Strung Out

- Douglas Adams
Old 12-05-2009, 10:24 PM

hold the line between your fingers so you keep tension on it. and fisherwoman,, nah forget it. LOL too much wine to make that comment

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 12-06-2009, 01:03 PM

Quote:
hold the line between your fingers so you keep tension on it. and fisherwoman,, nah forget it. LOL too much wine to make that comment
oooooooooo.