Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-06-2020, 11:01 AM

Default Old whiskey value?

Calling all AO whiskey experts...I have 2 bottles of old whiskey sitting around, and im not much into the hard stuff nor is anyone in the family. Figured I should sell to someone who will appreciate them but not having much luck finding market value. Online prices seem to run in the 200-300 range, but those are in the US. Anyone know who/where I could get a more solid answer or sale option in AB?

1974 McGuinness Gold tassel 710ml
1966 Crown royal 378ml

Both unopened with intact original tax stamps from those years, the CR has the original purple bag. Thanks guys
Old 06-06-2020, 11:12 AM

Unlike wine, Whiskey does not age in the bottle. Whiskey that is 100 years old is exactly the same as it was after it was bottled after aging in the cask for 10 years. The only value to old Whiskey is if there is some collectors interest in the particular bottle, maker, tax stamps etc. I would doubt that the 66 Crown Royal is worth any more than the same size bottle at today's prices. No idea about the other one.Put it on Ebay auction with a min price. Best way to see if there really is any interest.
Old 06-06-2020, 12:08 PM

Default Old whisky value?

I'm pretty sure eBay or Kijiji websites won't let you list or sell whisky on their sites.

As to their value, they were common whiskies, nothing special so they aren't going to be worth much more than what your average bottle of whisky sells for in the liquor store today. If you know somebody who drinks whisky, trade or barter it for something or just gift it.
Old 06-06-2020, 12:15 PM

When I was a young apprentice I welded a bottle of mediocre whiskey in a piece of pipe as a present for my dad. He kept it on the mantle for 40 years. On his passing I cut the pipe, opened the bottle and we all had a shot. It seemed smoother than usual but maybe that was the ambiance of the occasion.
Old 06-06-2020, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57charlie View Post
I'm pretty sure eBay or Kijiji websites won't let you list or sell whisky on their sites.

As to their value, they were common whiskies, nothing special so they aren't going to be worth much more than what your average bottle of whisky sells for in the liquor store today. If you know somebody who drinks whisky, trade or barter it for something or just gift it.
I found your post interesting so decided to check. Sure seem to be a lot of Old Bottles, both empty and full for sale on the Ebay.com site for something that isn't allowed. May not be worth the effort given the kind of Whiskey the OP has though.
Old 06-06-2020, 12:34 PM

You can send it to me for testing.
Old 06-06-2020, 12:42 PM

Default Old whisky value?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
I found your post interesting so decided to check. Sure seem to be a lot of Old Bottles, both empty and full for sale on the Ebay.com site for something that isn't allowed. May not be worth the effort given the kind of Whiskey the OP has though.

eBay's Policy on alcohol sales:

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/p...policy?id=4274
Old 06-06-2020, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57charlie View Post
I believe you, I had seen the policy too. I looked for it after seeing your post. I had previously seen old Liquor for sale on Ebay so that is what prompted me to look. I looked for full bottles again today and there are quite a few. Just seems like it isn't heavily enforced, at least for old bottles, semi-collectibles etc. I am sure if someone complained your ad would get taken down for violating the policy. Did not mean to imply you were wrong about it being policy though if you read my previous post you could easily take it that way. Sorry about that.
Old 06-06-2020, 06:17 PM

1971 vintage - $27 USD

https://www.whiskyauctioneer.com/lot...an-whisky-1972

I'll give you $50 Cnd for the 1974 stuff...