Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-02-2020, 12:02 PM

Default Dog Burial - Around Edmonton

My poor Simba has passed away overnight, he tore his ACL last weekend, went in surgery on Tuesday, during recovery he was throwing up everything even meds. Took him back in for iv and injections on Sunday. He came back and Monday noticed a break in that leg. Rushed him back in at 7pm, they decided to operate right away and at 11pm last night was told that operation is complete and went well.

Received a call this morning saying that Simba had passed overnight. We are broken and shattered, this dog was the best dog we could have asked for.

We are not looking to cremate him, but looking to bury.

If anyone knows of a place or someone owns a farm willing to allow us to bury our beautiful Simba it will mean the world to us and we would be willing to compensate for your troubles.

Thanks,

Nas
Old 06-02-2020, 12:04 PM

Old 06-02-2020, 12:08 PM

So sorry to hear about your loss man... I hope someone here will be able to recommend a place for the final rest for your pooch... meanwhile, just for your information, Edmonton SPCA has an individual cremation program that we took advantage of for our boy back in November...The cost was something like $140...and we got his ashes back...
Old 06-02-2020, 12:23 PM
Banned

Man that’s terrible, I know the feeling.

I see pictures of him in the mountains, why don’t you take him and the family to one of the special places on crown land and have your own burial in a place that has some meaning behind it? I’m just saying what I would do.
Old 06-02-2020, 12:31 PM

What a beautiful dog. Very sad. So sorry to hear this. As Kurt said, bury him in the mountains overlooking a valley, or at least some of his ashes. Can't understand why he passed away from that operation. Was there someone at night watching him or like most vets everyone goes home for the night.
Old 06-02-2020, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
Man that’s terrible, I know the feeling.

I see pictures of him in the mountains, why don’t you take him and the family to one of the special places on crown land and have your own burial in a place that has some meaning behind it? I’m just saying what I would do.
That is what I was telling my wife. He loved the snow. The colder the better. It was a battle to bring him inside.

Family wishes is not to cremate.

I can't believe when I go home he won't be there.
Old 06-02-2020, 12:33 PM

Sorry for your loss! Condolences to you and your family.

BW
Old 06-02-2020, 12:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by masalma View Post
That is what I was telling my wife. He loved the snow. The colder the better. It was a battle to bring him inside.

Family wishes is not to cremate.

I can't believe when I go home he won't be there.
I had a dog die in veterinary care once, it hurts not to be there with him when he goes, I’m really sorry for the loss brother.
Old 06-02-2020, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by traderal View Post
What a beautiful dog. Very sad. So sorry to hear this. As Kurt said, bury him in the mountains overlooking a valley, or at least some of his ashes. Can't understand why he passed away from that operation. Was there someone at night watching him or like most vets everyone goes home for the night.
Sadly they left him around midnight and no one was there. Nurse came in the morning wnd found him dead. They think it was a blood clot. After his bone was shattered the vet tried to save it was successful after a 3 hour operation. Only to die in his sleep after.

He took a piece of my heart with him.
Old 06-02-2020, 12:58 PM
Banned

Condolences on your loss.

I know of a few pieces of crown land north of Edmonton that would be suitable for a burial. PM for specific details.
Old 06-02-2020, 01:15 PM

Wow, that sucks. Condolences to you and your family. What a beast of a good looking dog. Google Rainbow Bridge.

I have my 3 shorthairs and my parents dog ashes. I have a spot picked out by a river we always camp at that every dog spent their lives at. I plan to dig a good hole, drop one of those Costco laundry soap pails in and put their ashes there. Seal the lid and cover it up and wait for the next dogs ashes to join them. Kinda a one location ode to the fur balls.

Take care
Old 06-02-2020, 01:18 PM

OMG so sorry to hear this. Our best friends never live long enough and to be taken away prematurely just sucks to say it politely!!! My condolences to u and family.
Old 06-02-2020, 01:36 PM

My sincere condolences, always tough.
Old 06-02-2020, 01:58 PM

Sorry for your loss.No matter how long we have with our furry friends its always to short and goes by in a flash.
Old 06-02-2020, 02:12 PM

I'm 2 hours away from Edmonton, but if you're stuck you could bury him out on my back 40.
Old 06-02-2020, 02:14 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

truly sorry for your loss of a family member....perhaps taking him to some crown land where the snow will be soon enough again..a place where you can visit and you know he will be happy with the location....just a thought.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 06-02-2020, 02:47 PM

So sorry to hear about your loss, Masalma. It looks like you and your family had many happy memories with him.
Old 06-02-2020, 02:56 PM

City said we are allowed to bury him in the backyard. As long as we go 4 ft deep.

Thanks for all the condolences. It is heartbreaking. He was only 3 years old. I never thought I would have to deal with the thought of him even leaving us so soon.

I lost a friend and a companion.
Old 06-02-2020, 03:06 PM

Quote:
City said we are allowed to bury him in the backyard. As long as we go 4 ft deep.

Thanks for all the condolences. It is heartbreaking. He was only 3 years old. I never thought I would have to deal with the thought of him even leaving us so soon.

I lost a friend and a companion.
I am so very sorry for your loss. Was just looking at Simba's pics you posted last week on that other thread. Absolutely heartbreaking. I know we love our wives and kids, but beyond that nothing compares to the piece of our hearts that a dog can steal. If you decide against your backyard, let me know, as I have a place on the river you would be welcome to bury your pup. It's about 15 minutes outside Fort Saskatchewan.
Old 06-02-2020, 03:08 PM

So sorry to hear of your loss. We lost our big girl in the winter and we found Faithful friends pet memorial. They treated us/her with respect. Came and picked her up in a nice vehicle and then had her individually cremated and gave her back to us with a nice card and a death certificate. They were very passionate and caring i would recommend checking them out. What I liked was it wasn't about the money to them, very reasonable.

Skawtty
Old 06-02-2020, 07:24 PM

Thanks everyone for your kind words and messages. Appreciate all the offers for land.

We picked up Simba from the vets and took him to Atim Creek Pet Crematory to be cremated and will be digging and planting a tree with his ashes spread under the tree in the backyard.

It is truly a difficult time. He was too young and without warning. A week ago he was stealing a hotdog off the dining table when no one was looking and now I walk around and find his tiny teddy bears he used to carry around in his mouth everywhere he went.

He touched so many people, my phone hasn't stopped ringing, over 200 messages from all over from who have met or heard of Simba. I pray that he is at peace now. My kids and wife have been crying, a piece of them is gone forever.

Again, thanks to everyone for their support. Honestly I thought I would be stronger for when the time came but guess not.
Old 06-02-2020, 07:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Thanks everyone for your kind words and messages. Appreciate all the offers for land.

We picked up Simba from the vets and took him to Atim Creek Pet Crematory to be cremated and will be digging and planting a tree with his ashes spread under the tree in the backyard.

It is truly a difficult time. He was too young and without warning. A week ago he was stealing a hotdog off the dining table when no one was looking and now I walk around and find his tiny teddy bears he used to carry around in his mouth everywhere he went.

He touched so many people, my phone hasn't stopped ringing, over 200 messages from all over from who have met or heard of Simba. I pray that he is at peace now. My kids and wife have been crying, a piece of them is gone forever.

Again, thanks to everyone for their support. Honestly I thought I would be stronger for when the time came but guess not.
Here’s a way to look at it, please share this with your wife and kids. A piece of them is not gone, a piece has been added with having him in your life. That pup was born and adopted by you and your family. He was loved and cherished every day of his life. You guys gave him the best life possible and he in turn gave you love and affection.

When my last pup died I was blessed with being able to plan it out and had time to reflect before he died, what I came to realize is that my family and I gave that dog love every day, we were a pack, and he was happy every single day of his life. There’s nothing more he could of wished for. It gave me comfort and made saying good bye much easier.
Old 06-02-2020, 07:48 PM

Extreme heart felt condolences masalma!! The loss of a really good dog is not something I dealt
with well at all back in 2014. Took me near 9mths for the pangs of missing him to ease a bit.
Old 06-06-2020, 12:03 PM

Sorry for your loss.............remember all dogs go to heaven, and will always hold a special place in our hearts and mind. It's unfortunate they can not live longer. Hope you find inner peace with your loss.
Old 06-06-2020, 02:25 PM

So sad when we lose our little companions. I have gone through that too many times myself and it’s tough my friend. Hang in there and you will one day find another one that has that unique character that makes dogs awesome. So sorry
Old 06-06-2020, 05:45 PM

So sorry for your loss.

Thomas Sowell
Old 06-06-2020, 08:11 PM

Tears rolling down my face reading about it Masalma. We all love our dogs. Best of luck.