Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-06-2020, 08:28 PM

Default New to me version of the Cheque scam.

Had a new take on the send a cheque scam today. They texted me using my phone # which was in my ad on Gunpost and Townpost. They asked reasonable questions and for a couple of specific pictures. 3 days later they got back to me and wanted to purchase the firearm. I asked if they had a PAL and promptly received a picture of a PAL as well as a Quebec Drivers License. They wanted to pay with a Certified Electronic Cheque. I asked for EMT but they declined. I checked the person out on line and found a facebook acct as well as a Youtube acct. I thought maybe the individual was French and with the language difference was confusing EMT and Electronic cheque. He agreed to pay shipping and sent an Electronic Cheque for $1,000.00 instead of the $545.00 it should have been. I immediately deleted the email. I then contacted the owner of the PAL via Facebook and found he had been hacked and the RCMP were involved. This is the first time I have heard of the cheque scam being conducted electronically rather than thru the mail. Be Careful.
Thanks,
Phil
Old 06-06-2020, 11:43 PM

Good catch, hopefully your info will aid in the rcmp’s investigation!
Old 06-06-2020, 11:54 PM

Thanks good to know...
Zip

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience...well,That comes from poor Judgement"
"KEEP SMILING"
Zip
Old 06-07-2020, 11:15 AM

Thanks for the heads up. So what exactly is this Electronic Cheque thing he was using. I know what they are, and in Canada they are predominantly limited to direct deposit for pay cheques, paying payable and the like and are part of Business banking packages. I have never seen a consumer version of that product outside of EMTs.