Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-05-2020, 10:08 AM

Default IPad battery replacement

My IPad battery is slowly losing its strength , where do you suggest I get a replacement battery, I live in the Stettler area, Thanks
Old 06-05-2020, 11:30 AM

Apple will probably tell you to go to the official certified stores. If it was me I'd check some independent places or, if feeling adventurous, do it myself. Order battery off Amazon or Ali Express, YouTube how to do it.

Don't have any places to suggest but noticed some of those shop advertise on Kijiji.
Old 06-05-2020, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak77 View Post
Apple will probably tell you to go to the official certified stores. If it was me I'd check some independent places or, if feeling adventurous, do it myself. Order battery off Amazon or Ali Express, YouTube how to do it.

Don't have any places to suggest but noticed some of those shop advertise on Kijiji.
I've gone both routes - taken to a cellular repair facility and ordered parts from Amazon and installed myself.

The hardest part about ordering/installing the part yourself is that you need to weed out the hucksters, and hope that what you're getting is a quality part. Then there's the aspect of whether you're comfortable with taking the thing apart and putting it back together with all the minuature screws and connectors etc. It is a bit cheaper, though.
Old 06-05-2020, 12:21 PM

Weeding out is not overly difficult, just check the rating and number of reviews. Yes, i know those can be bought, but at some point you would have to take a chance and pull the trigger on the purchase.
It may be pita to change the battery because of how small the screws are, but, unless the OP makes regular trips to RD or some other larger cities he may have to take this route.
Old 06-05-2020, 02:33 PM

Buy new Ipad, transfer all data to it so the old one is clean. Sell old Ipad. Most of the non-OEM batteries for phones and tablets are junk and do not last like the originals. Will work out cheaper in the long run than fixing the old one, especially if you don't have the skills to do the work. I would only do a battery replacement with a factory supplied Apple Battery. Most of them can be replaced by the Apple service centre for 129 bucks, which is cheaper than a new Ipad by quite a bit.

Last edited by Dean2; 06-05-2020 at 02:42 PM.
Old 06-05-2020, 03:55 PM

Not familiar with vendors in the Stettler area, but independent shop would be your best bet for sure. Apple would be great, too, but costs considerably more if that's a consideration for you.

If you decide to do it yourself and you haven't already checked out Youtube, have a quick search for the particular version of iPad you have and the battery replacement process. This'll help you decide if you even want to tackle the job. MacBooks are simple because the battery is located just inside of the bottom cover, so they're very accessible and simple to replace. Some other Apple products can be a bit more of a pain.

I've picked up batteries on Amazon for iPhones, iPads and Macbooks and have had good luck. As mentioned up above, check for rating and and overall popularity. It's far from a guarantee but so far I've had really good success\luck. You can go the genuine Apple route, but be prepared for a very hefty difference in price for having them do it.

For what it's worth, though. As was already metnioned, if you're not comfortable with the fix it might be more hassle than it's worth. For the time, effort and aggrevation it would be much simpler and not too much more expensive to take it in to a shop.

If you do go the DIY route, there are sites like ifixit.com that have great step by step instructions and even YouTube has great videos on how it's done. Hope that helps.
Old 06-05-2020, 05:31 PM

Best place
Same Day Cell repair
12005-149 st nw
Edmonton
Phone 587-388-0909
Wholesale place
They install while you wait
Just had two done this week
Awesome to deal with
Old 06-05-2020, 06:43 PM

I think a trip from stettlet to West Edmonton would kill any price advantage said place would give.
So, it's either DIY or "buy new", imo
Old 06-05-2020, 08:37 PM

Could you package and mail to an Apple store? Costs might be higher, getting the correct part installed by manufacturers, but maybe peace of mind has some value. Just bought an iPad Pro 256gb. A battery is mice n*ts compared to replacement.
Old 06-06-2020, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CranePete View Post
Could you package and mail to an Apple store? Costs might be higher, getting the correct part installed by manufacturers, but maybe peace of mind has some value. Just bought an iPad Pro 256gb. A battery is mice n*ts compared to replacement.
Apple is notorious for repair costs higher than the replacement cost for a new device. If you do not have current Apple Care on the product then don't bother as they will not touch the device or talk to you until you have Apple Care for the device. Depending on the age of the device they might not even sell you Apple Care.

Your best bet is just a computer repair shop that works on IPads. Sure you can do it yourself but unless you already have the necessary tools you would probably spend more than at a shop and risk breaking things like the screen/front glass.
Old 06-06-2020, 03:35 PM

If you come to Red Deer on occasion Mobi Jacks fixes them, they are an authorized apple dealer.
http://mobijacks.com/about-us/
Old 04-15-2022, 11:33 PM

It’s not hard to do yourself. Pick the highest rated battery from Amazon. It will come with the tools and instructions needed. I have done several I phones no issue, and they’re a lot smaller than the I pad. Many years ago I changed batteries on my kid’s I pods- Apple would not do replacements on these. They were really tiny and required micro surgery soldering. Now everything is plug in connectors. I colour code screws with coloured sharpies to ensure they go back in the right spots as lengths may vary. I phone replacement batteries last me about two years, cost under $30.

Let’s face it- the guys doing it are no smarter than you or me (probably a lot less), they just have a bit of training.
Old 04-16-2022, 07:26 AM

London Drugs Red Deer

was Lucky enough for same day service

couple years back