Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-05-2020, 02:45 PM

Default Lethbridge job market?

Hi. I lived in Lethbridge way back in 2003, was a great city then but that was a long time ago and I was only there 8 months at LCC.

Wife has had enough of small town Sask and is wanting to try southern AB again, and although things have been pretty grim lately they are here as well so it's a wash.

Generally what is the job market like (including pre-Covid opinions as well)? When I was there I never really paid attention to what was around for career type employers.

Was very quiet when I was there, (lived by hospital on S side) especially compared to Prince Albert where I am from, but I imagine like everywhere things are worse now for B&E, thefts, etc.

People who live there liking it? Soime on here know we were in Hat in 2013 but just couldn't find anything and ended up in Regina because of an opportunity. Miss the desertish areas and better weather a lot.

Any opinions on city good/bad whatever is appreciated. Let er fly!
Old 06-05-2020, 06:38 PM

You mean, Methbridge?
Old 06-05-2020, 06:42 PM

If you can find a job, the Hat is where it is at. I made a rhyme.

Thomas Sowell
Old 06-05-2020, 06:51 PM

Know people from Lethbridge. A few want OUT! Stay because of children and grand kids. The injection site is apparently a crap show. Anywhere in a six block radius is a ghetto. Was there last fall, asked about a good hotel, friend told me about a couple. Also said nowhere near the SITE. Just what I've been told.
Old 06-05-2020, 07:37 PM

I live in lethbridge and love it, lots of parks and things for families to do. Everyone gives it a bad rap for the safe injection site but unless you go downtown you never see anything. I live in the far north in a newer community and have no problems at all. As for job opportunities pre covid lethbridge was growing like crazy and jobs seem fairly plentiful.
Old 06-05-2020, 07:55 PM

Likely better than red deer, medicine hat, Grande Prairie or any similar sized centre in Alberta.
Old 06-05-2020, 07:58 PM

If I recall correctly, you.re a mechanic ? If so, there's a ton of feedlots, some big truck dealers, some machinery dealers, etc. Proximity to the US border, not far west to some great hunting & fishing, moderate climate(wind excluded), seems like a destination for many.

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 06-05-2020, 08:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by foremost1 View Post
I live in lethbridge and love it, lots of parks and things for families to do. Everyone gives it a bad rap for the safe injection site but unless you go downtown you never see anything. I live in the far north in a newer community and have no problems at all. As for job opportunities pre covid lethbridge was growing like crazy and jobs seem fairly plentiful.
There’s a lot of drug activity all over the city and crime is up as well. Then there are the high property taxes. Red Deer is a nice city central to Edmonton and Calgary. Red Deer is an easy city to get around in too.
Old 06-05-2020, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RZR View Post
There’s a lot of drug activity all over the city and crime is up as well. Then there are the high property taxes. Red Deer is a nice city central to Edmonton and Calgary. Red Deer is an easy city to get around in too.
A lot of drug activity hardly makes Lethbridge unique. Red Deer is probably as bad or worse.

Grizz
Old 06-05-2020, 09:58 PM

I'm not in the trades, so I'm unsure of what that job market is like around here. I do know that the local economy is agriculture-driven, so it's less volatile to oil and gas prices.

In my opinion, the safe injection site issues are overblown. Live on the west side or somewhere else away from it. As noted, property taxes are quite high, but nothing that would break the bank.

My only complaint is the wind. Man, it's bad!
Old 06-05-2020, 10:47 PM

It’s not the Lethbridge I grew up in any more. I work with people who live all over the city. South, west, north. The crime is most definitely not secluded to the downtown areas. Affluent neighborhoods are just as bad. And it’s not improving. I work in the city and see it everywhere. Blatant drug use in the wide open, etc. I live in a small town outside the city and wouldn’t move back for anything. Many coworkers looking to do the same and get out of the city.
Old 06-06-2020, 08:55 AM

So do druggies move there from other small centers just because of the injection site?
Old 06-06-2020, 09:18 AM

Thanks for replying everyone, we read every post and appreciate the time given to respond. I knew the inj site would cause issues, but didn’t mention it as I guessed it would be brought up regardless.

Been to Coaldale a few times, that is an option too.

PS I am a power engineer but am looking at possibly getting into water treatment (anyone need an apprentice?). Also worked in corrections, and with the way things are going that may be way to go. Kind of sucks but you do what you have to to get where you want to be?

Grew up in SK, its home but just tired and want to return to area we love.
Old 06-06-2020, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
So do druggies move there from other small centers just because of the injection site?
Hard to say. Birds of a feather flock together. Maybe it's like small town people who go shopping in the city for greater selection, more stock and lower prices. More gov't services and charities, more anonymous, less stigma than back home where everybody knows you? I know a few from here who got into that lifestyle, took their shopping cart and moved to the city. I'm sure the injection sites, the junkies and the black market drug economy that surround them don't detract from the appeal.
Old 06-06-2020, 09:22 AM

Quote:
That appears to have been the case in red deer since the site was put in.
Unbelievable to think rd spent 15 years working to “revitalize downtown” and made big gains only to turn it into a ghetto with the site in one swift move.
Business can’t flee fast enough customers avoid the area like the plague.
Old 06-06-2020, 09:54 AM
Banned

Quote:
The local reserves are a large contributing factor to the problem. Fact.
Old 06-06-2020, 10:04 AM

Quote:
It seems they do. We've had a big increase and some sizeable arrests as of late, many people from Calgary.

The drug problem is spreading through the city, especially since the homeless/druggies have been moved further South and are being housed in a hotel during the pandemic. Nearby neighborhoods are seeing dramatic increases in prowlings and break ins etc.

This is the busiest SCS in the world, and it has brought much trouble to our once quiet city. More specifically it has significantly amplified the issues we have always had, particularly with a neighboring population.

Old 06-06-2020, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyD111 View Post
Thanks for replying everyone, we read every post and appreciate the time given to respond. I knew the inj site would cause issues, but didn’t mention it as I guessed it would be brought up regardless.

Been to Coaldale a few times, that is an option too.

PS I am a power engineer but am looking at possibly getting into water treatment (anyone need an apprentice?). Also worked in corrections, and with the way things are going that may be way to go. Kind of sucks but you do what you have to to get where you want to be?

Grew up in SK, its home but just tired and want to return to area we love.
Have a look at both Coaldale and Coalhurst, both within 10 minutes of the city. I know people who are quite happy with their decision to move to both.
Old 06-06-2020, 11:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by no-regard View Post
Have a look at both Coaldale and Coalhurst, both within 10 minutes of the city. I know people who are quite happy with their decision to move to both.
They have issues as well and the taxes are really high there too!
Old 06-06-2020, 11:49 AM

Will look at both places. The news of what the scs has done to the city is saddening. RD too..nephew lives there and reports that things are pretty bad especially with theft. When things open up we will be taking a trip down to see what the deal is...betting the park I used to walk through by the mall has went downhill
Old 06-06-2020, 03:46 PM

Default Galt Gardens??

good luck coming out alive(haha)
Old 06-06-2020, 04:18 PM
Banned

Nobleford. 20 minutes from Methbridge. 60 minutes from the foothills. Low taxes . Local equipment dealer.

Last edited by huntwat; 06-06-2020 at 04:26 PM.
Old 06-06-2020, 05:37 PM

My brother lives in the very far north end in a new area and loves it. Has not had any issues with theft or the associated drug scene up there yet. Lots of trails to hike, bike etc. No different than any other big city, you have your good areas and you have the hood, downtown being the hood. Avoid that and it's all good.
Old 06-06-2020, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jafo View Post
My brother lives in the very far north end in a new area and loves it. Has not had any issues with theft or the associated drug scene up there yet. Lots of trails to hike, bike etc. No different than any other big city, you have your good areas and you have the hood, downtown being the hood. Avoid that and it's all good.
Not to argue, but he’s obviously been lucky. I work with lots of people in Legacy and Uplands that have had numerous issues. Obviously these areas are possibly better than the downtown core, but definitely not immune to it. That being said, lock your doors, and be smart. It’s not downtown Detroit, but it’s worse than it used to be. Just my two cents from what I see around the city. Seeing people shooting up on the street corners makes me not want to let my kids stroll around.
Old 06-06-2020, 11:14 PM

YT has a nice video of a drone over Nobleford, looks pretty nice. Noticed a LOT of new houses for a small community, things happening there.

Also watched a clip of a very long paved walking trail near Magrath..must have cost a few bucks, seemed to go on forever.

Raymond seemed not bad, will have to go through that as well.

Been to Coaldale a few times and liked it, coalhurst once, but not much else in the area.
Old 06-06-2020, 11:30 PM

Lethbridge has a host of problems...true but there are far worse places to live.
I would choose Picture Butte over Nobleford....a pretty quiet town with all the amenities you need in it from Medical, Hardware, Grocery, and stores.

Jim
And I watch the metal rusting, and I watch the time go by."
Old 06-07-2020, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinny View Post
Not to argue, but he’s obviously been lucky. I work with lots of people in Legacy and Uplands that have had numerous issues. Obviously these areas are possibly better than the downtown core, but definitely not immune to it. That being said, lock your doors, and be smart. It’s not downtown Detroit, but it’s worse than it used to be. Just my two cents from what I see around the city. Seeing people shooting up on the street corners makes me not want to let my kids stroll around.
We are constantly finding used needles in the grass and around the properties. This right here is scary in itself when you have kids. You have to teach them not to touch them and hopefully they don’t step on them when they are playing in the back yard. We’ve found drug paraphernalia, backpacks with tools for break into places. 2 times they’ve tried breaking into my garage. We’ve found gerry cans in the back where they sniffed gas. The bums even deficate in the backyard, so I have locked all my gates leading into my yard. I’m to the point where I’ve even barred the walk-in door from the inside and turn the power off to my garage. When I want in I turn the power on and use the overhead door and I live a long ways from down town. Our mayor should of had his azz kicked for allowing the safe injection site into the city. The site should have been moved out of town to the west. Then the taxes are probably one of the highest in the province. My taxes have doubled since I have moved into my place. There are other issues as well, but one can’t talk about them.
Old 06-07-2020, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyD111 View Post
Will look at both places. The news of what the scs has done to the city is saddening. RD too..nephew lives there and reports that things are pretty bad especially with theft. When things open up we will be taking a trip down to see what the deal is...betting the park I used to walk through by the mall has went downhill
I have been just biting my tongue on this thread. I'm trying not to be negative about anything I'm talking about.
Are you joking about walking in that Lethbridge park???? Are you being sarcastic? Stay away from any out of the way place on east side of Lethbridge especially the park on third,fourth avenue.
And yes according to the owner of Bakers Appliances which is across the street(2nd street) from the injection site people are moving from other provinces to access the injection site because there is also a pharmacy in the injection site where they get one other drug that I can't remember the name of.
Call up the owner of Lethbridge Tax time on 3 rd and ask him about the new Lethbridge.
Locking the door during business hours trying to keep the druggies out. Ten minutes for the police to respond!
I thought since brad wall that SK was the place to go? There are young people here that plan to go there when the graduate. Feds destroyed you to?
Old 06-07-2020, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W921 View Post
I have been just biting my tongue on this thread. I'm trying not to be negative about anything I'm talking about.
Are you joking about walking in that Lethbridge park???? Are you being sarcastic? Stay away from any out of the way place on east side of Lethbridge especially the park on third,fourth avenue.
And yes according to the owner of Bakers Appliances which is across the street(2nd street) from the injection site people are moving from other provinces to access the injection site because there is also a pharmacy in the injection site where they get one other drug that I can't remember the name of.
Call up the owner of Lethbridge Tax time on 3 rd and ask him about the new Lethbridge.
Locking the door during business hours trying to keep the druggies out. Ten minutes for the police to respond!
I thought since brad wall that SK was the place to go? There are young people here that plan to go there when the graduate. Feds destroyed you to?
Just remembered. Its Methadone that they give them.
Old 06-07-2020, 08:45 AM

Can’t really disagree here....

Daughter and friend coming back from work had to report a body (overdose) to the police last year there..... not cool. Drug stuff lying all over the sidewalk and lawn too.

If your thinking surrounding towns... you gotta really research.

Noble ford.... 20min out, closer to Keho Lake (good fishing and duck hunting), very small n quiet.... but the water tastes like it’s got dead gophers marinating in it ( this can be a very common problem with prairie communities down here).

Picture Butte.... pretty good ice arena, a few shops... again terrible water... and you live in the highest concentration of feedlots in western Canada.... so you got this intense smell that is persistent and you may wish to consider.

I hear Coaldales nice.... but they seem to have a crime rate situation as well. But that’s just talk I think.

Coal hurst is really nice, major rail yard is there (noise), and the access to the highway is have you spitting mad every time you use it. Tis a death trap.

Magrath is 1/2 hour south..... very nice town. In the heart of pheasant country, they have a yearly whitetail cull there due to a population explosion..... great couple lakes there too... StMarys River is a little known blue ribbon trout fishery.

Further West .... the villiage of Cowley is actively looking for a water treatment manager.... very inexpensive place to
Live.
I think Cowley might mean ‘big snow fence’ in the Blackfoot language..... dat wind man!
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."