Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-05-2020, 11:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
That wasn't much of a push. Anyone that fragile should avoid protests.
What an ignorant comment. Not your first.
Old 06-06-2020, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
They could have put him in the recovery position as they awaited ambulance.
Actually with a head and or suspected spinal injury you leave the casualty as you found them, they could have potentially risked further injuring the man had they moved him. Its hard to tell if he was bleeding from the ears or from the impact site on his skull. Either way you should treat it as a head injury.

Quote:
I posted this in the other thread as well. I agree that it wasn’t an excessive push but there is no excuse for stepping over the seriously injured man without proving first aid. There was no immediate threat in front of them and the national guard troops had no problem stopping to help him.

That was disgusting.
If you listen to the audio the police clearly ordered " Hold the line" and "Get a medic" as soon as they passed Martin Gugino. One of the first rules of basic first aid is scene management. You are no good to the casualty if your own safety is at risk and you become a second casualty.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 06-06-2020, 12:43 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Hey fishpro....post up a thread on the cops who have been killed during this so called bs protests that led to rioting,looting, assaults, burning of buildings etc....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 06-06-2020, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortsideK View Post
Just stating facts, if you are older and not in great physical condition, and can't even take a push, why be stupid and confront police? He purposely put himself in a bad situation, he ignored directions by the police, and he was hurt as a result of his actions.
Old 06-06-2020, 07:00 AM

I’m honestly surprised to see how soft some of the folks here are. Always makes me wonder if that’s the 20 y/o’s of modern times talking. What ever happened to accountability? Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. All kinds of extreme chaos where riot police are in no win situation and attacked from all sides, yes go and confront them. Dude barely got touched. Total con job and ended up hurting himself in the process. Zero sympathy for him other than for his screwed up liberal brain.
Old 06-06-2020, 07:03 AM

I finally saw this video and it really sucks that this guy had to get hurt but if your at a protest or march and you see a line of police officers in a line moving towards you to clear the street or what ever all dressed in combat gear why would you go towards them ? Did this guy think they were just going to part and let him through ? I'd like to see all the snowflakes screaming for the officers head on a platter to gear up and go hold the line when a screaming mob is coming down the street looting and burning as they go . Whats that old saying " walk a mile in my shoes ".
Old 06-06-2020, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortsideK View Post
No it’s not.... protests usually have tension and confrontations.

Now with that said, that was no push. I have seen worse at Boxing Day sales.

The old guy challenged some law enforcement folk that are already on edge. They aren’t going to high five him. Lol
Old 06-06-2020, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gade81 View Post
I’m honestly surprised to see how soft some of the folks here are. Always makes me wonder if that’s the 20 y/o’s of modern times talking. What ever happened to accountability? Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. All kinds of extreme chaos where riot police are in no win situation and attacked from all sides, yes go and confront them. Dude barely got touched. Total con job and ended up hurting himself in the process. Zero sympathy for him other than for his screwed up liberal brain.
Exactly...
Old 06-06-2020, 07:12 AM

Default Media bias

This is a good example of media bias. The first video I saw showed the push and the fall. Then I saw a video that shows the whole thing as described by ghostguy6 above. Quite a difference.

If all you see is the short version it looks like police brutality. The longer version shows a man ignore a police directive, move forward to accost officers and stumble when pushed by the officer he tapped. The officers then follow their orders as others call for medics.

Like I said, quite a difference depending on what the editor wants you to see. I wonder which version will be shown to the authorities who judge the officers.
Old 06-06-2020, 08:02 AM

And here it goes...as said cops are screwed no matter what they do, so they should just all go home and let the losers burn everything to the ground. What a disheartening career choice being an officer has become.
Old 06-06-2020, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Indeed it wasn’t his primary duty and I could certainly identify his lack of training. Hopefully his squad commander chews his arse out for breaking ranks and creating a weak spot in the line that could have potentially put the entire squad in danger.

As for the rest of the unit not slowing down......good on them for remaining professional and mission focused.
Cops are like the military, they're given an order and told to carry it out, no flexibility.

Grizz
Old 06-06-2020, 08:51 AM

From BBC, the guy was an activist protesting. Put himself in that position. He made an adult decision to be there.

In a video that went viral on Thursday, officers in the city of Buffalo, New York, were seen shoving an elderly man to the ground.

The 75-year-old was seriously injured, and taken to hospital.

All 57 officers in the riot squad have now reportedly resigned in protest at their two colleagues' suspension.

According to the Buffalo News, the members have stepped down from the Emergency Response Team, but not the police department itself.

ADVERTISEMENT

Media captionNY Governor Andrew Cuomo: 'You see that video and it disturbs your basic sense of decency'

John Evans, president of the local police union,*told the newspaper: "Our position is these officers were simply following orders from Deputy Police Commissioner Joseph Gramaglia to clear the square.

"It doesn't specify clear the square of men, 50 and under or 15 to 40. They were simply doing their job. I don't know how much contact was made. He did slip in my estimation. He fell backwards."

New York Governor Andrew Cuomo said on Friday the two officers should be fired, and called for the incident to be investigated for "possible criminal charges".

In a statement, Buffalo Mayor Byron Brown said: "We can confirm that contingency plans are in place to maintain police services and ensure public safety within our community."

He added that Buffalo police are continuing to work with other law enforcement agencies.

The officers were enforcing a curfew as a result of protests that have spread nationwide since the death in Minneapolis last month of an unarmed black man, George Floyd, after a policeman knelt on his neck for nearly nine minutes.

Media captionThe USA's history of racial inequality has paved the way for modern day police brutalityWhat does the Buffalo video show?

The man is seen approaching a group of riot police as they advance.

Two of the officers appear to push the 75-year-old, causing him to fall backwards and hit his head.

An initial statement from Buffalo Police Department said the man had "tripped" and fallen during a "skirmish involving protesters".

Police spokesman Jeff Rinaldo later attributed the statement to officers not directly involved in the incident.

Media captionChildren explain why they are protestingWho is the elderly man?

His name is Martin Gugino, and authorities said he was taken to hospital, where he was in a stable but serious condition on Friday.

Mr Gugino is a longtime social justice activist in Buffalo, according to advocacy group Push (People United for Sustainable Housing).

He "has been a tireless fighter against injustice of all types for many years in our city both with Push and other grassroots organisations," they said in a statement, condemning police for
Old 06-06-2020, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Cops are like the military, they're given an order and told to carry it out, no flexibility.

Grizz
In the US that may be so

In 25 years with EPS, I never was ordered to do anything. We acted independently and if we requested, would receive guidance or opinion, but never an order

I find "orders" are for people who are considered unable or unauthorized to make decisions on their own. I never had that issue. Actually, my last 7 years of service was me, alone, working plain clothes in covert vehicles, totally autonomous, without direct supervision. I had a staff sgt for report approvals, but no one looking over me. I was trusted and valued.

Basically, I got paid to hunt bad guys. No bag limit, open season. Recover property, make people smile and hear them say " how in the hell did you find it?!"......lol.

I used to reply " after I retire i will tell you how, but until then I cant cause i need this job to pay my rent"
Old 06-06-2020, 09:33 AM

Don't care how old you are, if you go to a protest after curfew hours, incite a confrontation with riot police it's not going to end well, they are not going to whisper sweet nothings in your ear
Old 06-06-2020, 09:36 AM

For all the speculation......

When a officer or "client" is injured on or near the line the troop is trained to advance past the injured person and re-set the line so that the injured person and the arrest team or medic attending to the injured person are protect while they do their job.

Every Tactical Troop will have several units assigned to them that remain behind the primary line which include arrest teams, lethal, less lethal, gas, and medics.
Old 06-06-2020, 09:56 AM

Quote:
That wasn't much of a push. Anyone that fragile should avoid protests.
So ... those of us oldies ... say over 60 ... should stay away from the protests that are sure to come as a result of the OIC bans? Could get nasty with chants of “I WILL NOT COMPLY !!!”
Old 06-06-2020, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
So ... those of us oldies ... say over 60 ... should stay away from the protests that are sure to come as a result of the OIC bans?
If you are as unstable and fragile as the man in the video, it's probably a good idea to stay in the background, and not physically confront police officers.
Old 06-06-2020, 10:10 AM

Quote:
If you are as unstable and fragile as the man in the video, it's probably a good idea to stay in the background, and not physically confront police officers.
Is the idea to “confront police officers”? That won’t end well.
Old 06-06-2020, 10:17 AM

Quote:
So ... those of us oldies ... say over 60 ... should stay away from the protests that are sure to come as a result of the OIC bans? Could get nasty with chants of “I WILL NOT COMPLY !!!”
You should not physically confront a police officer while he or she is in the act of doing their job. Yes. Now it’s a free country (or it was) so fill your boots. But there are consequences for your actions.

-Billy Molls
Old 06-06-2020, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Is the idea to “confront police officers”? That won’t end well.
If you feel that you ,must confront police officers, then accept the fact that your physical condition might result in injury to yourself. It's not like he was pushed hard or struck with the intent to injure him, he placed himself in a physical confrontation, and he was injured as a result of his own actions.
Old 06-06-2020, 10:25 AM

Wink

Quote:
HMMM you oldies should not be up past 7pm....breaking the social distancing etc....might leave you short of breath and gurgling in your own fluids slowly drowning.....covid 19....is a lot more harsh then the push of an officer....Metamucil will not fix ya....

Old 06-06-2020, 10:44 AM

Quote:
If you feel that you ,must confront police officers, then accept the fact that your physical condition might result in injury to yourself. It's not like he was pushed hard or struck with the intent to injure him, he placed himself in a physical confrontation, and he was injured as a result of his own actions.
The two officers have now been charged with second degree assault so it is likely a court will decide culpability.
Old 06-06-2020, 10:51 AM

I, for the life of me am still trying to figure out how some whacked out of his skull on meth and fentanyl and acting as such, is a hero? In methbridge I see people obviously on meth all the time, and know for a fact if one of those tweekers messes around on with me on that garbage, I know I will be fighting for my life, it’s pretty disturbing having your kids ask what’s wrong with those people, I tell them, stay away from drugs, or one day you could be in their shoes. Heck, even yesterday I went to timmies on the North side and , there was a tweeker in front of me in line, just constantly, tweekin, geekin and freakin, service was very slow, so I got to observe this individual for at least 15 from 6’ away, I could tell all the staff especially the women were on high alert, and that was my first though, “you screw around bud, yer goin for a nap“, why society vilifies law enforcement is beyond me, the numbers and statistics do not favour this movement, so it’s just another excuse for people to jump on the band wagon.
For the record, if your a senior citizen, don’t try to take on the riot squad, that’s just stupid, sorry if offends the snowflakes on here.
Old 06-06-2020, 11:17 AM

Quote:
The two officers have now been charged with second degree assault so it is likely a court will decide culpability.
Political posturing at it's best, sacrifice two officers to appear to be politically correct. Hopefully all of the officers in the force walk off the job over this.
Old 06-06-2020, 11:21 AM

Last edited by huntinstuff; 06-06-2020 at 11:34 AM.
Old 06-06-2020, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
These days, it just takes a edited video to start a controversy.... Grizz
There, fixed it for ya.
Old 06-06-2020, 01:46 PM

So we are now making the small group of men ( woman)that run towards the sound of gun fire, the bad guys. And making the large group of boys that run from everything, the good guys. Man we’re done, let’s just give up now.
Old 06-06-2020, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavrick View Post
So we are now making the small group of men ( woman)that run towards the sound of gun fire, the bad guys. And making the large group of boys that run from everything, the good guys. Man we’re done, let’s just give up now.
No kidding . Add to this the fact George Floyd the " poster child " for all of the current protests is a convicted violent criminal , and yeah , we are in trouble .
Old 06-07-2020, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
In the US that may be so

In 25 years with EPS, I never was ordered to do anything. We acted independently and if we requested, would receive guidance or opinion, but never an order

I find "orders" are for people who are considered unable or unauthorized to make decisions on their own. I never had that issue. Actually, my last 7 years of service was me, alone, working plain clothes in covert vehicles, totally autonomous, without direct supervision. I had a staff sgt for report approvals, but no one looking over me. I was trusted and valued.

Basically, I got paid to hunt bad guys. No bag limit, open season. Recover property, make people smile and hear them say " how in the hell did you find it?!"......lol.

I used to reply " after I retire i will tell you how, but until then I cant cause i need this job to pay my rent"
When you report to a superior and engage in conversation etc in which he or she gives you direction that is following a superiors order....direction...opinion...instruction etc....however you want to spin it they are orders.

Old 06-07-2020, 09:11 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
When you report to a superior and engage in conversation etc in which he or she gives you direction that is following a superiors order....direction...opinion...instruction etc....however you want to spin it they are orders.
with you there 58.....can't go a career with any police force without being told what to do. that being said, for those who are self starters/valued members, the amount of supervision will be less than those who are only there for the pay cheque. seems there are getting to be more and more of them there for only the pay cheque than those who are truly trying to make a difference.

gotta say that today's police people are truly between a rock and a hard place....especially with all the snowflakes in society; and also the career minded who are instantly ready to criticize those on the front line who have a terrible job to do, only criticizing for their own gain. i'd like to see some of these people given a uniform/gun/baton/etc and sent out into the fray....maybe there would be some who change their attitude.