Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-06-2020, 11:58 AM

Default Indigenous academic's view on Black Lives Matter and Indiginous issues in Australia

An Indigenous academic says the Black Lives Matter protests were “ridiculous” and the “rent-a-crowds” did not care about the real issues.

https://www.news.com.au/national/bla...18b1222324b659

He also has many good opinion pieces about Indigenous issues in Australia that parallel those same issues in Canada. There are around 15 articles in the link below. All well written and many challenge the common narrative and status quo.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/anthony-dillon/2834638?nw=0
Old 06-09-2020, 12:27 PM
Suspended User

Innisfail just had a failed attempt at a BLM protest. The organizer tried to blame the failure on bigotry, but people around town bluntly reminded her it cant be JUST BLM. Plenty of others are experiencing racism, and it should just be a blanket end racism thing.

Of course there is also the ones saying there isn't racism, others saying that they can't be racist if you aren't from the privileged races. As usual the extremists on both sides are nuts.

Now she is back peddling and saying that the protest should be All Lives Matter. Once resistance was met, she tries to make it appear she wasn't just following the herd.
Old 06-09-2020, 03:24 PM

I lived in the Northren Territory in Australia.
I had thought it was bad here in Alberta with the natives, well it is nothing compared to there.
You can't buy offsales on thursdays, because that is Aboriginal pay day.
You cant buy wine in a bottle, as they kill each other with wine bottles(not kidding you can only buy wine in a box)
If they have a dog then they get a extra $75 per month so they can feed it. According to animal rights people it was to save all the starving dogs on Aboriginal settlements.
I could go on and on. I could not believe it until you live there.
I still complain about the extra rights natives have here, but we never want to go down the road they have gone down.
This whole thing as nothing to do with equality, most others have more rights and privalages than the caucasian male does, and until that changes there will always be racism.
Old 06-09-2020, 03:50 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeelmer View Post
I lived in the Northren Territory in Australia.
I had thought it was bad here in Alberta with the natives, well it is nothing compared to there.
You can't buy offsales on thursdays, because that is Aboriginal pay day.
You cant buy wine in a bottle, as they kill each other with wine bottles(not kidding you can only buy wine in a box)
If they have a dog then they get a extra $75 per month so they can feed it. According to animal rights people it was to save all the starving dogs on Aboriginal settlements.
I could go on and on. I could not believe it until you live there.
I still complain about the extra rights natives have here, but we never want to go down the road they have gone down.
This whole thing as nothing to do with equality, most others have more rights and privalages than the caucasian male does, and until that changes there will always be racism.
yes but our government supports it....as soon as you give tone and not another poop happens....we all worked....raised our kids....paid off our homes etc...now we sit and look at the same aged people or their kids and wonder why does one get and the other doesn't based on something that happened 150 years ago....things need to change but unfortunately it wont after all we are human...if folks don't believe just take a look around globally...yup...I side on the fact that their is still good out there but I too have a line as other do....survival.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 06-09-2020, 04:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeelmer View Post
Do you think this is because of evolution and industrialization? Is it because Caucasian’s have evolved and worked for so long that now they are expected to support native populations? Are they superior therefore expected to support those who cannot support themselves? When they conquer a new land, rather than absolute termination they sign agreements with the nation they conquer. There should be a statute of limitations of two generations, after that you’re on your own to blend with society and thrive.

I’m asking this because I honestly don’t know,

Do French Native people get special treatment in France?
Do Russian Native people get special treatment in Russia?
Do British Native people get special treatment in Britain?
Do Ukrainian Native people get special treatment in the Ukraine?
Do German Native people get special treatment in Germany?

If we are all to believe in equality, and all live a life free of racism, then we have to understand the earth is ours to share...... equally. That means we share the resources and responsibilities equally. That means your name, color, language and lineage mean nothing as far as how you are treated in life. Equality is equality, and not just for the benefits but also for the responsibilities. Too many people fail to understand the fundamentals of equality, they cry for it but won’t step up to accept it.
Old 06-09-2020, 05:24 PM

Good message Sir!
Old 06-09-2020, 11:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
Do you think this is because of evolution and industrialization? Is it because Caucasian’s have evolved and worked for so long that now they are expected to support native populations? Are they superior therefore expected to support those who cannot support themselves? When they conquer a new land, rather than absolute termination they sign agreements with the nation they conquer. There should be a statute of limitations of two generations, after that you’re on your own to blend with society and thrive.

If we are all to believe in equality, and all live a life free of racism, then we have to understand the earth is ours to share...... equally. That means we share the resources and responsibilities equally. That means your name, color, language and lineage mean nothing as far as how you are treated in life. Equality is equality, and not just for the benefits but also for the responsibilities. Too many people fail to understand the fundamentals of equality, they cry for it but won’t step up to accept it.
Equality is such a 90’s term
You’ll never hear a politician say it because it’s no longer the goal
Now it’s reconciliation and compensation
Old 06-10-2020, 05:53 AM

I was in Uluru / Ayers Rock in NT Australia a few months ago.
I needed to show my resort room key for off sales to show I was a tourist.
And then I paid $44 for a 6 pack.

TBark
Old 06-10-2020, 10:32 AM

Quote:

So I guess you dont have access to any books on history. the european countries you mention were controlled through skirmishes and wars for centuries by the frank germanic norseman and mogol tribes who created the boundaries you mention as boundaries for countries for their territory so to answer you inquiry the natives of russia france england are now the descendants of those countries. Many of those countries explored some arriving in Canada in the 16th century but there was no war or conquering of native canadians who had occupied the country for as long as 10000 years. The colonial settlers made many treaties with native Canadians most of which were broken. Many of those treaties suggested the Queen would support them as long as the rivers ran. Rivers are still running but some would like to change the rules 150 years after the treaties were signed. Native people in Canada finally got the vote in 1952 and have been politically active to ensure they dont give up anything promised to them without significant value. Old story of you could have paid in 1890 or with inflation you will pay more until it is resolved. Natives had no choice in delaying negotiations but will have a hand in their future destiny.
Old 06-10-2020, 04:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwbirds View Post
So I guess you dont have access to any books on history. the european countries you mention were controlled through skirmishes and wars for centuries by the frank germanic norseman and mogol tribes who created the boundaries you mention as boundaries for countries for their territory so to answer you inquiry the natives of russia france england are now the descendants of those countries. Many of those countries explored some arriving in Canada in the 16th century but there was no war or conquering of native canadians who had occupied the country for as long as 10000 years. The colonial settlers made many treaties with native Canadians most of which were broken. Many of those treaties suggested the Queen would support them as long as the rivers ran. Rivers are still running but some would like to change the rules 150 years after the treaties were signed. Native people in Canada finally got the vote in 1952 and have been politically active to ensure they dont give up anything promised to them without significant value. Old story of you could have paid in 1890 or with inflation you will pay more until it is resolved. Natives had no choice in delaying negotiations but will have a hand in their future destiny.
It was a rhetorical question, I know the answer you failed to give is no, there are only a few countries where this applies, Canada being one of them.

So much has changed on this planet since industrialization, there was mistakes made, but were on the right path. It’s time for equality, or is that not right?
Old 06-10-2020, 08:32 PM

Default equality for everyone would be great!

but I dont see it happening in my lifetime nor that of my children. My great grandmother was ottawa objibway and died in the 60's and her understanding was that equality according to the local predictions would not happen for 7 generations so probably 3 more to go. Equality would be simple but making it happen is complex. Dating back to the Magna carta in England with the blessing of the churches explorers were encouraged to seek out new land and if the savages resisted they should be destroyed but if they converted they should be enslaved. A lot of that "they are savages" is still prevalent today but the greater problem is the slavery has made many of the people dependant on handouts. Some with education and skills generally are in vocations where they can help their own such as teaching or social work. Even if there were a lot of skills on the reservations they were intentionally often located on remote land far from what we would consider "opportunities". If someone had the balls to admit the colonial "reservations" and the indian act were mistakes because they made natives reliant on and subserviant to the government that would be a great start. Sell the reservation lands and give the one time money to the occupants who wanted to live elsewhere or the land they occupy to be owned by individuals instead of intrust of the department of indian affairs. Some with no skills would need support and past a certain age I am not sure they could gain skills or even a job. Many who had the desire and mobility to relocate to a centre with opportunity would likely experience "not in my neighborhood" from some residents. Nothing to do and no where to go accounts for the highest drug and alcohol problems per capita in the country as well as the highest suicide rate. I hear people complaining about the 3 month shut down contributing to stress suicide drug abuse and abusive relationships yet often native populations have endured another type of involuntary shutdown for decades. No jobs no opportunity has created a dependant culture that is not going away anytime soon.
Old 06-10-2020, 09:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
but I dont see it happening in my lifetime nor that of my children. My great grandmother was ottawa objibway and died in the 60's and her understanding was that equality according to the local predictions would not happen for 7 generations so probably 3 more to go. Equality would be simple but making it happen is complex. Dating back to the Magna carta in England with the blessing of the churches explorers were encouraged to seek out new land and if the savages resisted they should be destroyed but if they converted they should be enslaved. A lot of that "they are savages" is still prevalent today but the greater problem is the slavery has made many of the people dependant on handouts. Some with education and skills generally are in vocations where they can help their own such as teaching or social work. Even if there were a lot of skills on the reservations they were intentionally often located on remote land far from what we would consider "opportunities". If someone had the balls to admit the colonial "reservations" and the indian act were mistakes because they made natives reliant on and subserviant to the government that would be a great start. Sell the reservation lands and give the one time money to the occupants who wanted to live elsewhere or the land they occupy to be owned by individuals instead of intrust of the department of indian affairs. Some with no skills would need support and past a certain age I am not sure they could gain skills or even a job. Many who had the desire and mobility to relocate to a centre with opportunity would likely experience "not in my neighborhood" from some residents. Nothing to do and no where to go accounts for the highest drug and alcohol problems per capita in the country as well as the highest suicide rate. I hear people complaining about the 3 month shut down contributing to stress suicide drug abuse and abusive relationships yet often native populations have endured another type of involuntary shutdown for decades. No jobs no opportunity has created a dependant culture that is not going away anytime soon.
Thank you for the response, I truly do appreciate the insight you’ve given.

Over the past few years I’ve learned quite a bit about Canadian history, I think more from this forum than from school. When I look outside I see opportunity, I see people of all races doing well for themselves. My neighbor moved here from India a few years ago and is doing well for himself, so the opportunity is there, you just have to find the drive to go get it.

I understand the past was hard on a lot of people, fortunately times have changed. Equality will not only help minorities, it’ll help everyone. Equal opportunity is very real these days, just look around and you can see it everywhere. There are some bad apples that need picking, but that goes on both sides. Leadership is important and is the key to moving forward. I watched the arrest video of Allan Adam and from what I saw I think that is one band who could use a better leader.

Things would be so much simpler if we could all just complain about one leader rather than hundreds of them.
Old 06-11-2020, 08:30 AM

Good post, wwbirds.

Quote:
If someone had the balls to admit the colonial "reservations" and the indian act were mistakes because they made natives reliant on and subserviant to the government that would be a great start. Sell the reservation lands and give the one time money to the occupants who wanted to live elsewhere or the land they occupy to be owned by individuals instead of intrust of the department of indian affairs.
I was thinking the same thing.
Old 06-12-2020, 07:49 AM

Either we are ALL TREATED EQUALLY or we are not. I could care less what happened several hundred years ago or 5 years ago. If there is no equallity there will always be diversion. The trouble is some people still do not understand that special rights do more to create racism than any other single factor.

At one time owning slaves was seen as a right and lawful in many places
Being the king gave you the right to decide who lived or died it was seen as lawful.
Being caucasian was seen as giving you special rights ( ie vote) and lawful
Your great Grandparents being here before anyone else is giving you more rights and lawful.
Time will tell but I want equality for all and the right to live in a democratic society where I am valued as much as any other member and given the right to choose my life path.
My mother always said give three children an ice cream cone and no matter race or religion they will play and have fun. But if you dip one cone in chocolate and not the other two watch out.