Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 06-21-2013, 06:00 PM

Default Bow River Flood Updates

so i thought i would start a threat dedicated to flood updates and pictures

the first video was shot walking in waist deep water (in my waders) to get to my grandmas place to help her get out of a powerless building the current flowing down the c train path was strong and almost lost it a couple times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoTU0...?v=SoTU0098NLA

my thoughts go out to all the families who were affected by this event
Old 06-21-2013, 06:04 PM

wonder what kind of new channels there are going to be on the bow after this
Old 06-21-2013, 06:12 PM

Devastating......
Old 06-21-2013, 06:15 PM

I often fish the Bow down by Deer Run/ Fish Creek. 2005 flood altered FishCreek greatly. I guess we will need to wait and see what lays beneath the waters.
Old 06-23-2013, 01:22 AM

very sad, since this is the fishing section I will keep it towards the fishing part of things, obviously fish will be effected just like humans are in any natural disaster, I remember when the red deer river flooded a while back a sturgeon was found in a near by gold course years later and survived great, many fish will probably be pushed downstream and into peoples backyards ect, and the weaker fish won't survive.
Old 06-23-2013, 09:57 PM

It will be a whole new river to learn to fish again.
Old 06-23-2013, 11:21 PM

I'm excited to see what lies beneath.
I enjoy fishing some of the smaller rivers in southern alberta, and its always neat to see how the power of nature recreates a river bed in a matter of days. I will definitely be out walking around my former favorite areas as soon as possible (and can safely access them) to check them out. I've never experienced a flood like this since I began fishing however.

How do the trout hold up? Is there a massive impact, or do they find a way to survive and continue to thrive?

To me seems like they would find slower water to hold in, but on smaller rivers that blew out (sheep, highwood) I couldn't imagine what it might be like...
Old 06-24-2013, 02:38 PM

I would have to this that this event will totally alter the Bow River and the pool, riffle, run complexes. It will have also scoured some places clean of silt yet deposited tons of silt in other places. While fish will hunker down near the banks...a lot will get trapped and die as water levels fall and others killed by the silt and debris. Many will be displaced downstream and if far enough once the water warms will die or be eaten by pike.

Bow River will likely lose it's Blue Ribbon status for a while. I can not see it any other way. That being said, mother nature has a habit of bouncing back in surprising ways. This years spawn for sure will be lost.

Time will tell but I am not hopeful. Fishing reports in a month will be telling.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 06-25-2013, 02:18 AM

My buddy lives off Bow cres in Bowness helped him out for a couple of hours today...quite a few dead fish, mostly small but he showed me a picture of a pike that ended up in his neighbors yard, it looked big he figured it was around 15lbs a couple of feet away on the same fence was a lake trout around the 10lbs mark...not exactly the species you'd expect to see when you think of the Bow but there you go!