Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 06-24-2013, 09:03 PM

Question What's Right vs What Works

A while ago, I bought a fly rig at the Mayfield fishing show. The fellow that sold me the rod also set me up with a line and a leader and sent me on my way.
I was "taught" (and I use that word loosely) how to cast by a friend who claims to know what hes doing. I really have no idea if he truly knows or not. After a few pointers from him, I was off to visit some of my favorite spots along the Mcleod River.

I actually started catching fish! I couldn't believe it.

Eventually, I ran out of leader to tie my flies to, and being out in the field with no easy access to anything else, I just cut the leader off, tied 4' or 5' of monofilament onto my fly line, and continued to catch fish, and be pretty happy with how I was casting. I actually used this set up for a whole season.

This year, I learned about tippet. This is something that was never explained to me when I bought my rod, so I never used any. I decided that I wanted to properly set up my rig so I bought a new leader and some tippet.

I hit the Freeman River over the weekend, and I CANNOT cast with this new set up. I can get maybe 10' of fly line out, but I cannot get the leader to go more than 50% of its length before everything just piles up. When I watch my loop. it looks good (to me anyway), but I can see the leader drop like a rock and land pretty much right in front of me.

What am I doing wrong? I am tempted to just put 4'-5' of mono back on and have at'er.

Equipment used:
TFO Lefty Kreh Signature Series 9' 5wt rod
TFO Mayfly reel
Scientific Anglers Mastery Series Fly Line WF-5-F Nymph
Rio Indicator Tapered Leader 10' 4x
18" 5x tippet

Thanks,
-C
Old 06-24-2013, 09:13 PM

how long is your leader + tippet together? And what are you using for a leader?
Old 06-24-2013, 09:39 PM

here is some tips on u-tube

just keep practicing

you used 4 to 5ft now your at almost 12ft but it may not be weighted proper
here is a quote
I generally buy all my tippet from the same manufacturer, since the spools usually interlock together. Lock them together in order of size so you know which size you are using without seeing the label.

there are lots of video's on u-tube once you look at this one spend a few hours and watch quite a few more

David

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdfqT8d3R1A

Last edited by Speckle55; 06-24-2013 at 09:53 PM.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:52 PM

Correct me if im wrong but the mono is thicker and heavier than the tippet? If so then you would probably have an easier time strong arming it. When using the tippet do you wait till you fill the tip of the rod tug a little on the back cast before flinging forward? If not give it a try. Thats actually where all the casting power is.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:53 PM

Also, how much line are you letting out before you cast?
Old 06-24-2013, 10:00 PM
AO Sponsor

Hi Corey,

It doesn't sound like there's anything wrong with your setup. The only thing that could be wrong with your setup is if you're using too large a fly. General rule of thumb again is that your leader size should equal your hook divided by three to efficiently roll over your fly. So, if you're using a size #12 hook you should be using 12/3 = 4x leader. I usually oversize my leader and tippet unless the trout are spooky to lose less fish and flies too hookups. Helps rolling the fly over too!

My guess on your problem is you're not stopping the rod quickly enough and you're moving the rod too far forwards (and probably backwards).

The rule of thumb for casting is the motion of the rod should move from 10 o'clock on the back cast to 2 o'clock on the forward cast.

So...on your back cast you should stop the rod fairly abruptly at 10 o'clock and pause to feel the line fully load on the rod before starting your forward stroke. Similarly, once you finish the forward stroke stop at 2 o'clock (abruptly) and pause to let the line and leader unfold. Once your line and leader is parallel to the water slowly drop your rod tip with the line as it falls to the water.

Cheers,
Ben
Old 06-24-2013, 10:08 PM

While the leader and tippet set up is certainly fishable, a couple points.

1) You just may not be used to casting 12' of leader and need to refine your casting skills. Casting without an abrupt stop at then end of the cast and more of a deceleration of the rod will result in the leader losing power and ending in a heap. Also, watch your loops. If they are big, wide and open the tip of your rod is traveling in an arc rather than a flat plane which results in better power transfer to the line and leader.
2) What sort of terminal tackle (i.e. flies, indicators...) are you using? A large or wind resistant fly will not cast well on such a long light leader (i.e. ending in 5x)

For most of my stream fishing leaders, I will use a typical 9' (Rio Powerflex is my preferred, mostly out of habit) with about 1-2 ft 1 size smaller tippet. Unless I am using smaller flies and/or the fish are spookier I will use a 3x leader with 4x tippet. Once the tippet has been changed a few times and the leader diameter is thicker, I tie on some 3x tippet then some 4x tippet to keep the right taper.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:18 PM

I've only been fly fishing for less than a year, and I know how difficult it can be to learn to cast proper. However, I started out using a 9' 5X tapered leader and about 30" of tippet from 4lb vanish fluorocarbon. The fluoro is the same diameter as the leader tip so seems a good match. One thing I learned quickly is to slow the cast down and open up the loops with the long and light leaders/tippets.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:15 PM

Thanks for all the tips, replies and PM's. I really appreciate it!