Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-22-2016, 08:49 AM

Somewhere along the way I was told to use heavy chain as an anchor, the one step I have not done is to slip it into a bike tire inner tube.

I do like the zip tie idea just in case of a snag.
Old 08-22-2016, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchman View Post
I started kayak fishing this year and never even thought about practicing the old flip aroony. I'm a pretty strong swimmer so just assumed it would be no big deal if I did get wet one day. So just because I read this thread, you guys put out some good comments and I figured I should try it.
I went out today and did exactly that. I have an Ascend FS12T and first started by standing up, and paddling. It felt a lot more stable than a paddle board. Sitting down it took a lot of effort to flip it over. Actually had to hold onto the high side, lean over touching the water and basically pulling it over. Hah, but once it past that point, it flip instantly.
I laid right over the capsized bottom, grabbed the far side and used my weight to flip it back up. Worked pretty good. Then simply kicked a few times and sitting back in the chair. It self drained and done. I did this several times and it got easier every time.
I'm sure I got a few looks from the beach, people wondering what the heck that guy is doing.
So thanks for suggesting the practice, else I probably would never had done it on purpose.
It's not a big deal when the water is warm, but different story when it's cold. That's the reason I only use it in the summer now.
Old 08-22-2016, 03:10 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2brpGvhHhk

This video explains it perfectly, although there may be variations on how to tie off the line.
"Placed correctly Swift A-Frames will reliably kill big bears. So will North Forks, Nosler Partitions, Barnes TSX, Kodiaks, Woodleighs, GS soft points, Hornady Interbonds and Speer Grand Slams - and if I missed your favorite bullet -it probably will too.
It's time to go hunting and quit all this ballistic masturbation."

Phil Shoemaker
Old 08-29-2016, 02:09 PM

I've seen videos of guys ocean fishing from kiaks. Catching swordfish, and even shark.