Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-10-2017, 07:28 AM

Default Rem 700 sps dm bottom metal

Is there anyone doing a replacement drop in bottom metal or do they all require inletting ?

This has the factor rem magazine and it's loose and rattles and the last round doesn't feed properly. It was a buddies gun and I'm just trying to fix it up?

If in letting is required. What is the most economical/quality option for a sps

Thanks guys.
Old 11-10-2017, 08:59 AM

Could you be more specific regarding what is rattling? I presume the unit consists of a trigger guard with a hinged floorplate with a spring/follower attached, and an internal box magazine? When disassembled and positioned with the magazine cut-out facing up, squeeze the box magazine together (at the back end) and fit it into the magazine well in the action. Sit the stock in place without knocking the magazine box out of position. Set the bottom metal in place, making sure it sits flat in the stock and that the “lip” on the underside fits on the outside of the magazine box. Lightly tighten each guard screw, then torque to about 45 inch pounds (or a tickle less). Open the hinge plate and check to see there is abit of (forward-rear) movement of the internal box magazine...this is normal, as it should not be restricted by compression.

If the unit is an original detached magazine model, it does require inletting on the sides to gain clearance for the release tabs. A new replacement probably costs 50% of the original cost of the SPS.
Old 11-10-2017, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
Could you be more specific regarding what is rattling? I presume the unit consists of a trigger guard with a hinged floorplate with a spring/follower attached, and an internal box magazine? When disassembled and positioned with the magazine cut-out facing up, squeeze the box magazine together (at the back end) and fit it into the magazine well in the action. Sit the stock in place without knocking the magazine box out of position. Set the bottom metal in place, making sure it sits flat in the stock and that the “lip” on the underside fits on the outside of the magazine box. Lightly tighten each guard screw, then torque to about 45 inch pounds (or a tickle less). Open the hinge plate and check to see there is abit of (forward-rear) movement of the internal box magazine...this is normal, as it should not be restricted by compression.
DM is detachable magazine. The factory Remington detachable magazines sometimes rattle due to sloppy tolerances.
Old 11-10-2017, 09:06 AM

Wyatt makes one that is drop in.

-Billy Molls
Old 11-10-2017, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
DM is detachable magazine. The factory Remington detachable magazines sometimes rattle due to sloppy tolerances.
Damn, I wished I’d have paid attention to the title before tapping out the proper sequence.
Old 11-10-2017, 09:14 AM

The original should not rattle with a cartridge in the magazine?
Old 11-10-2017, 09:41 AM

Some of them rattle like a baby's toy.