Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-20-2012, 10:54 AM

Default 2 women ice fishing for fun

Super Dave and I decided to head off the lake early. As we were packing up our gear and loading it into the truck, we saw 2 people walk onto the ice about 3-400 yds away from us over by the boat launch. As they had entered onto the ice having walked through the bush rather than driving onto the ice, I assumed they were a couple of locals. Supporting my assumption was the fact they were sitting on lawn chairs. If they were indeed locals, and had fished the lake plenty of times, I wanted to ask their opinion on lures, bait, depth, etc..

As we drove closer, we watched as one of them crouched over the ice. At this point, judging by their movements, I had a hunch they were women not men. As we neared closer and came to a stop some 30 yards away, I unrolled my window and yelled a 'Hi'. Soon were were chatting and they said they were using bacon as bait.

Bacon as bait? What? I asked what they were using for hooks and they said safety pins. This I had to see. Doubting the effectiveness of the safety pins in hooking a trout, I then asked if they wanted to have a couple of our hooks. They did. So SD and I unloaded our tent and rummaged around inside the sled to find a couple of hooks plus some bait for good measure. With SD right behind me, we approached the 2 women chatting to them all the while.

Not only did they truly have a strip of raw bacon stuck on a safety pin, the line they were using was regular string. After more chatting, we learned they were out there winter camping and decided to have abit of fun and try to catch some fish. Without any equipment, they decided to improvise much as if they were in a survival situation.

I asked if we could take their photo and they said it was OK.

Meeting these two and learning of the fun they were having just being out there was pretty cool. Fun is where you find it.

Bobby B.

Old 02-20-2012, 11:00 AM

An absolutely epic story! This is what the forum is all about, sharing these kind of moments and hearing about them. Way to go ladies! Getting out there and giving it a shot is all it takes to start the obsession!

Reminds me of when I was a kid, in daycare. I was so anxious to fish, I used a safety pin and yarn as string in the Elbow River. Some time later, I returned to that same spot with my flashy Zebco Rhino push button reel and caught my first fish!

Thanks for posting Bobby, I really enjoy hearing stories like this hear on the board.
Old 02-20-2012, 11:15 AM

Given enough time the ladies would have caught something with their gear, I’m sure of it.

Two summers ago I was with my whole family at the lake Okanogan. Wife had told me I was not allowed to do any fishing, so I didn’t bring any gear. After dinner at one on the restaurants on the lake the kids noticed that all the trout were hanging out trying to get some scraps. I helped them fashion some fishing gear, to my wife’s dismay. Unthreaded one of the napkins on the table and tied it into a long string, used a paper clip that was sharpened and the bait was scraps off the table. The boys caught about five fish after dinner and released them as well. Awesome to watch!
Old 02-20-2012, 12:10 PM

Did you tell them that you were infact going to post there pics on the internet for the world to see?

Good on them for enjoying the great outdoors. Have heard before that bacon fat works. Must give off a trail in the water for the fish to see. Do fish have noses that they can smell??
Old 02-20-2012, 12:18 PM

You idiot.

Of course they were fishing, and very successfully.

And on the way home they will fish some more. They'll just prop the spare tire and the jack up against the car, and wait.....

I'm guessing you didn't think to ask for a phone number so you could take them out fishing again sometime.... thought not. LOL
Old 02-20-2012, 12:19 PM

I was at charlie lake in BC a few years ago staying at the Lions campground. When we asked what the walleye were biting she said bacon. I thought she was nuts, and we never tried it, but she didn't look like she was kidding. Maybe sometime if the fishing is slow I'll throw on a chunk.
Old 02-20-2012, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firegod74 View Post
I was at charlie lake in BC a few years ago staying at the Lions campground. When we asked what the walleye were biting she said bacon. I thought she was nuts, and we never tried it, but she didn't look like she was kidding. Maybe sometime if the fishing is slow I'll throw on a chunk.
Try using chicken skin (uncooked) cut into strips to tip a jig....stays on the hook well and it resembles a worm when jigged in the water.....try it and thank me for the tip later

LC
Old 02-20-2012, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
You idiot.
Good contribution Oko. Even in jest, you are out of line - again. If I wasn't already thick skinned from your Tolstoy esque writing, I would report you to the moderators.

But only you waste their time with trivial things such as this.

Can't you contribute ANYTHING without a hidden agenda?
Old 02-20-2012, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fisherman Guy View Post
Good contribution Oko. Even in jest, you are out of line - again. If I wasn't already thick skinned from your Tolstoy esque writing, I would report you to the moderators.

What hidden agenda? You appear to be the only person here who has one. I joked that the girls were fishing for HIM and he didn't realize it. I don't know of anyone but you that could read what i wrote and think it was some sort of attack on the OP. You even "outted" yourself by saying "even in jest". You realized what I said was in jest but chose to forge ahead angrily anyways., as if I had said it seriously. Nice try.

Keep growing that skin. It's still painfully thin and sensitive.
Old 02-20-2012, 03:01 PM

Boys....don't wreck Bobby B's thread....please....

LC
Old 02-20-2012, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post

LC
Alright Lefty. I hear ya. I'll be good.
Old 02-20-2012, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post

LC
Thanks LC. I really had to exercise some restraint when I was called an idiot by Okotoks. Sometimes even the most neutral and well meaning of threads motivates some members to demonstrate poor behavior. Oh well, it is the internet.

Bobby B.

Old 02-20-2012, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fisherman Guy View Post

Well said.

I relay what I thought was an interesting encounter at the end of a great day out in the field and well............. someone calls me an idiot. Sometimes it really makes me wonder. No doubt he thought he was being witty.

Bobby B.

Old 02-20-2012, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby B. View Post
Thanks LC. I really had to exercise some restraint when I was called an idiot by Okotoks. Sometimes even the most neutral and well meaning of threads motivates some members to demonstrate poor behavior. Oh well, it is the internet.

Bobby B.
Since you took it wrong too I must apologize Bobby. No offence meant on my part. I did use a and "LOL" and then explain the post later so I must assume you don't accept my explanation and think I'm lying. That's unfortunate. Anyway, have a good day.

Last edited by Okotokian; 02-20-2012 at 04:02 PM.
Old 02-20-2012, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Since you took it wrong too I must apologize Bobby. No offence meant on my part. I did use a and "LOL" and then explain the post later so I must assume you don't accept my explanation and think I'm lying. That's unfortunate. Anyway, have a good day.
No problems here on my part. I appreciate the apology. No, I don't think you're lying. Let's focus on the positives.

Bobby B.

Old 02-20-2012, 05:00 PM

Pretty good story bobby B, just out of curiousity...do you know if they caught any fish on your gear
Old 02-20-2012, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby B. View Post
Let's focus on the positives.
Amen to that!
Old 02-20-2012, 06:14 PM

Old 02-20-2012, 06:50 PM

Great Story! I often wonder how many people try to simulate a survival situations to practice there skills. Great Post, thanks!
Old 02-20-2012, 08:14 PM

Thumbs up

Years ago when our kids were teens, we were horse camping in the Porkypine hills, our son then 13 or so, wanted to go fishing in beaver creek. He found some string, had hook in his survival knife,(a big thing back then) took a piece of yellow plastic from a no name plastic bag, and a piece of tail hair from his horse and tied a fly, and by darned if he didnt catch some trout from the creek.... lol
Old 02-21-2012, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmag View Post
Pretty good story bobby B, just out of curiousity...do you know if they caught any fish on your gear
Once I saw they were using string, I doubted giving them a hook and some bait would help. Then, once they mentioned how they were just being silly and having fun, I decided it best not to leave them be. So, in short, they never even fished with any of our gear let alone catch a trout with it.

Bobby B.