Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-16-2012, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysonlazo2 View Post
Well were we where last weekend it was all clear
So what you're saying the is that the ice is inconsistent.

All the more reason to be careful out there.

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 12-16-2012, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valley13 View Post
if there is not two feet of ice your a dummy!insurance does not cover truck through ice
Yup u need better insurance mine covers me as well
Old 12-16-2012, 10:08 AM

Location: past the dead tree where the john bros faught in '52
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
You need better insurance. Mine covers me.
yup, mine covers me too, just once though...
Old 12-16-2012, 01:17 PM

you need better insurance or common sense? I am confused...
Old 12-16-2012, 04:59 PM

I live in LLB and im seeing people going across the lake from the mission to poplar point. About 2km in legth and theres a well beaten trail going across. kinda scary. but monkey see monkey do.
Old 12-16-2012, 05:11 PM

at least where the beaten path is it will be freezing thicker! some risk takers out there thats for sure
Old 12-16-2012, 05:12 PM
Banned

Default nak

thinking of going to nakamum tues anyone know ice thickness? anyone driveing on?
Old 12-16-2012, 05:20 PM

Was at Coal today....drove my quad on. Several truck out there....WOW. Lots of flood ice in different spots. Ice was only about 10 inches where I was. I chit chatted with a guy on a snow machine and he found a spot just last weekend with only 5 inches!

Too early yo be driving larger vehicles on in my opinion....

LC
Old 12-16-2012, 06:13 PM

I dropped a front wheel through once. Ice was two feet thick but I think I hit some rotten ice, muskrat den or somethong. Anyway, no trucks no more, take the Rhino now, load all the stuff in the back and drag the hut, works jsut fine.
PG
Old 12-17-2012, 09:30 AM

Was out at Little Pegasus a couple of years back in February. I know there is often a sign in one spot indicating a spot of thin ice there (actually open water) but we avoided that.
Drove the half ton on to our spot and drilled a dozen holes. As I cleaned the holes out the ice was easily 18 inches thick for the fist few holes. Then, six inches of ice showed up in a couple of holes not 40 feet from the others.
Backed the truck up on the same tracks instead of turning around in that spot. Not a nice feeling.
Scary stuff.
kidd
Old 12-17-2012, 09:45 AM

Default McGregor lake ice

I have been fishing McGregor lake this Friday with friends. 6"-8" of clear solid ice by the boat launch. We started around 4pm and left by 9pm. We landed one good Walleye and an under size Pike. We lost two other fishes.
Old 12-17-2012, 11:08 AM

Trucks in Manitoba start going out on 12" of ice. We are covered if the truck goes through. Right now there is 14" of ice and there are mini cities on the lakes we fish with all varieties of vehicles.
Old 12-17-2012, 01:15 PM

Really? from what i knew, when i was insured there, autopac never covered anyone going thru until after jan 1st every year.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:57 PM

Phoned my insurance company about going thru the ice. I'm covered for recovery and truck. Not covered on the quads and rhino tho!!? I'm gonna assume thats because a lot of 4X4 quads end up filled full of water going thru mud holes etc. I have to damn near double my insurance premiums to cover water damage on the quads and rhino.
Old 12-20-2012, 02:16 PM

We drove on buffalo last friday someone had plowed a trail out to the shacks. After parking set up about 15 yrds from the truck good 8/9" of ice but were still in the weeds so moved about 40 yrds farther and there was 6" of flood water drilled holes and maybe 4/5" of ice so it is spotty out there to. That will be the last time I drive on for awhile now
Old 12-20-2012, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stand junkie View Post
We drove on buffalo last friday someone had plowed a trail out to the shacks. After parking set up about 15 yrds from the truck good 8/9" of ice but were still in the weeds so moved about 40 yrds farther and there was 6" of flood water drilled holes and maybe 4/5" of ice so it is spotty out there to. That will be the last time I drive on for awhile now
I probably would have pooped my pants. That's why, in an earlier thread, I said 18"+ before my truck goes anywhere near the ice.

Look on the bright side - we will all get more exercise .......
Old 12-20-2012, 09:53 PM

I don't like taking my truck on the lake no matter how much Ice there is, I lose my truck I lose my livelihood so its really not worth the risk.
Old 12-21-2012, 03:08 AM
Banned

Fish cops do it better.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg crawlingvalley4.jpg (48.4 KB, 191 views)
Old 12-21-2012, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81critter View Post
I live in LLB and im seeing people going across the lake from the mission to poplar point. About 2km in legth and theres a well beaten trail going across. kinda scary. but monkey see monkey do.
The boys who live around Poplar Point and area have been doing that for years!!! Never heard of one of them going through. Most of them or their family were commercial fishermen, so they know the lake and the ice. The county should be ploughing a road across soon. In years past, they plowed a road from Golden Sands to the causeway, so perhaps they will do it again this year(hopefully).
Old 12-21-2012, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
You need better insurance. Mine covers me.
Ditto. And I've confirmed this with any companies I've had insurance with for the last 20 years.
Old 12-21-2012, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimboy View Post
Fish cops do it better.
That's awesome , never seen them out in their truck on the ice usually on the old mighty tundra.
Old 12-21-2012, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysonlazo2 View Post
well depend we walked on to wabamun then tape measured to 14 inches so we drove on in a little ford explorer i wont drive on without checking the depth of ice first
Careful.

14 inches does not mean a standard.

On Lake Sundance last year we had 14 inches near shore, 10 inches in the middle nd numerous spots that were 2-6 inches.

There is even more variability on natural lakes with springs, creeks, currents and plant rot.