Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-17-2010, 04:30 PM

Default Through the ice...it'll NEVER happen to me!

While I definitely agree that venturing on to any ice with any vehicle is a huge risk, weird things can sometimes happen. Ice conditions and variances are never 100% predictable. It's always easy to point fingers and call people “stupid” until it happens to you [and for a reason you may never have expected].

Regarding insurance coverage in such cases, it's a good idea to check and get clarification as to what your vehicle insurance covers, and does not cover. Different policies cover different situations and it is not true that going through the ice is never covered by an insurance company.

Case in point: Last year, having directly witnessed a "truck through the ice" case, because of the coverage offered by the owner's particular insurance company, it was a pleasant discovery that everything was covered including:
- Vehicle write-off payout
- Vehicle contents replacement (personal effects, gear ect.)
- Full vehicle recovery (dive team, retrieval operation ect.)

This by no means is meant to be interpreted as "license" to carelessly drive out on to any lake, but, reading some of the posts here, it seems like some clarification is needed.

By all means, be careful out there! If you're making the choice to drive on ice, dive slow and either have your windows down or your sun-roof open to ensure a quick escape route if needed. In addition to that, check your insurance; you may be covered, you may not be covered.

The only sure way to avoid going through the ice is to never drive on it. But for those who do, and especially for those who are possibly a bit "overconfident" that it'll "never happen to me" and who are sometimes quick to point fingers and say “what an idiot”, think again, and be prepared. Accidents do happen to the smartest and to the well-prepared.

Have fun!
Be safe!
Catch fish!
Old 12-17-2010, 05:48 PM

Maybe I'm overcautious, but I also leave seatbelts off and have doors opened a bit.
Old 12-17-2010, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyangelo View Post
Maybe I'm overcautious, but I also leave seatbelts off and have doors opened a bit.
before i even drive on i dont open the doors a bit but it is windows down, seatbelts off and radio turned right down..so definatly not over cautious. if i were to go through i dont want to have to try to fumble a seatbelt and door to get out. and if i have passengers that arnt very experienced than i toss them in the box of the truck sometimes aswell.
Old 12-17-2010, 06:15 PM

Default Great advice

Great additional advice guys!
In the case that I witnessed, the truck's front tires broke through first, the truck's body dropped down onto/into the ice, immediately converting the cab into a locked prison where it was impossible to open the doors. The windows were the only ways out...and there wasn't much time to escape.
Old 12-17-2010, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artist View Post
Great additional advice guys!
In the case that I witnessed, the truck's front tires broke through first, the truck's body dropped down onto/into the ice, immediately converting the cab into a locked prison where it was impossible to open the doors. The windows were the only ways out...and there wasn't much time to escape.
This happened to me about 10yrs ago on Gull. The front fell in and the cab completely submerged. We got out through the windows, but what saved our rears was the the fact that the truck hung up on the hitch. We were driving when it happened following tracks from others. Always have and always will drive with seatbelts off and windows down
Old 12-18-2010, 01:15 AM

Ill one up ya I leave the truck parked on shore , and go on with my quad . Not likely quads gonna go thru but would sooner have to deal with getting quad pulled out rather then my truck . Might be a long walk back to shore but its better then making a call home saying honey my truck is on the bottom of the lake and no i didnt catch any fish .
Old 12-18-2010, 09:41 AM

Default you sometimes can never tell...

I've been on the ice fishing for more than 35 years now. Ive seen idiots dip their vehicles in trying to go under the train tressles at wabamun, I've seen trucks go 1/2 in at Pigeon. But Down in southern Alta I think the game is way more dangerous.

3 years ago.. I was on Lee Lake with my kids in Late Feb. We'd been on the lake lots that winter, I drilled a couple of holes and had a good 8-10 inches of ice... good enough for vehicles I figgured. My oldest daughter wanted to go to shore and slide on the hill.. I fsaid 'OK' as it was only 20 or so feet away. I was watching a trout bump my bobber around, when I hear a crack, ... she went through right next to shore..... there's springs in that lake!! Luckily she was in 4 feet of water,... but since then I've discovered two real bad springs on Beaver Mines, and one super bad one a fellow icefisher warned me about on Jensen resevior..... One just can't account for springs... You gotta watch out!
Old 12-18-2010, 09:49 AM

It always amazes me how early some people head out on the ice with trucks..

I dont fish very much but when i head out on the ice we had better be using the extension on the Auger if you know what i mean